If I keep my wife happy with PC games, she gives me more time for EQ. She
liked the old Heroes of Might and Magic, loves Morrowwind, hates Prince of
Persia. She does not want an on-line game. (she wants to play when she
wants to play, but walk away at a moments notice)

Her PC is mid level (can run EQ 1, but slowly)

Can anyone suggest a new PC Game I can give her for Christmas?

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:46:36 -0700, "Robin Russell"
<rob2rus@cableone.net> wrote:

>She does not want an on-line game. (she wants to play when she
>wants to play, but walk away at a moments notice)

An MMOG doesn't rule that out. City of Heroes and World of Warcraft
are both very solo-friendly, which means you can play by your own
schedule. You also have to option there of teaming up with other
players. In the case of WoW, it's common to find a group that'll get
together just long enough to do a quest and go their separate ways. I
kinda like this sort of "on the fly" grouping myself, others don't.
Perhaps for "cute-ish", you could check into Ragnarok Online. Playable
solo. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

If she insists on offline, I can't really think of anything -new- that
might interest her. Civilization III is still good (and relatively
inexpensive even with the Conquests expansion). For an FPS/fantasy
adventure type game with a gothy dark, but very cool, theme to it,
there's American McGee's Alice. Then there's Arcanum, a "steampunk"
setting game with a kinda Baldur's Gate-ish gameplay style. Diablo II
is still good.

Like I said, nothing new that I can think of. I haven't followed too
closely the release of offline PC games lately. Sorry. ><

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

"Robin Russell" <rob2rus@cableone.net> wrote in message
> If I keep my wife happy with PC games, she gives me more time for EQ. She
> liked the old Heroes of Might and Magic, loves Morrowwind, hates Prince of
> Persia. She does not want an on-line game. (she wants to play when she
> wants to play, but walk away at a moments notice)
>
> Her PC is mid level (can run EQ 1, but slowly)
>
> Can anyone suggest a new PC Game I can give her for Christmas?

If she liked Heroes she will probably like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.
Its another great turn based strategy game.

I also suggest the Sims, it appeals to many women.

<rob2rus@cableone.net> wrote:

>If I keep my wife happy with PC games, she gives me more time for EQ. She
>liked the old Heroes of Might and Magic, loves Morrowwind, hates Prince of
>Persia. She does not want an on-line game. (she wants to play when she
>wants to play, but walk away at a moments notice)
>
>Her PC is mid level (can run EQ 1, but slowly)
>
>Can anyone suggest a new PC Game I can give her for Christmas?

Neverwinternights - besides Morrowind the only single player game
I played the last years for more than an hour.
Get the Platinum or gold edition,forgot how its called,it is a bundle
of the origianl NWN and 2 expansions.
Have fun with "Deekin" in Shadows of Undernzit,greatest npc party
member ever.
Play it on hardcore DnD rules,or it will be too easy.
Try to play the original campaign without "henchman" or it will be
too easy. :)

Negative points:
You need some rogue skills to open chests,other methods
take too long,get 4 levels of rogue,then add another class,preferably
one which can make use of Dexterity(Ranger or Warrior).
Too bad it has "zones",it is even worse than in EQ,once a chapter is
finished you can not come back,totally opposite to MW. :(

Played it on an AMD 1333Mhz,512 Mb Ram,GF Ti 4200 Grahic card,
1280*1024 resolution,worked like a dream with building shadows turned
off.

Meldur

> Thank you all. Looking into all of them...

I would also suggest Disciples 2 or the original Disciples, both are a lot
of fun. Not sure on finding them though because they appear to be Canadian
Games, they are turn based strategy games that you can play 3 or 4 races
(It's been a while since I played it). They have a good story line too.

Sedce Frozentears
65 (yay finally) Barbarian Shaman (Terris Thule)

<rob2rus@cableone.net> wrote:

>If I keep my wife happy with PC games, she gives me more time for EQ. She
>liked the old Heroes of Might and Magic, loves Morrowwind, hates Prince of
>Persia. She does not want an on-line game. (she wants to play when she
>wants to play, but walk away at a moments notice)
>
>Her PC is mid level (can run EQ 1, but slowly)
>
>Can anyone suggest a new PC Game I can give her for Christmas?

If she's willing to venture out of the fantasy RPG I'd like to suggest
Deus Ex (the original game, not the followup "Invisible War", which
was pretty poor). DE had great depth, a lot of fun interaction with
various NPCs, lots of "side quests", and the choices you made
regarding your character skills and how you interacted with people had
a signifcant effect on the gameplay.

What I enjoyed about it was that I'm not a "run and gun" type of
player, and it was quite possible to play it as a sneak and hide game.
The immersion in the game was probably the best I've had in any game,
including Everquest. And the fact that you got to revisit some areas
and see changes that had occurred made it feel more like a living
world and less like you were simply moving from level to level.

The nice thing is that the game came out 3 or 4 years ago so it should
play comfortably on an older PC. But I suppose it might be tough to
get nowadays.

John M Clancy wrote:

> I also suggest the Sims, it appeals to many women.

Ya, and I'm one of them. If you do go with the Sims, I might suggest
actually going with Sims 2. It looks great, and has alot of the features
that were later included in expansion packs of the original Sims. Things
like having parties, and being able to go to community lots. Also, the
fact that your sims age and will eventually die adds a whole new dimension
to the game. You can delay this process by meeting certain "career
aspiration goals" and using the resulting points to by "elixir of Life"
which will make them younger by a few days. There is a downside that Sims
2 has far few objects than the original Sims + expansion packs, but I have
no doubt that they will come out with new ex packs for Sims 2 as well.

Another game that Lenny and I like is Sid Meier's Pirates, which was
recently released. It's an adventure type game, with ship to ship and
sword to sword combat, though it's not what I would call a twitch game. It
has a decent story line, and really can be quite fun to play.

--
Annie

In EQII:

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

_______

If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write me.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Robin Russell wrote:
> If I keep my wife happy with PC games, she gives me more time for EQ. She
> liked the old Heroes of Might and Magic, loves Morrowwind, hates Prince of
> Persia. She does not want an on-line game. (she wants to play when she
> wants to play, but walk away at a moments notice)
>
> Her PC is mid level (can run EQ 1, but slowly)
>
> Can anyone suggest a new PC Game I can give her for Christmas?

Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gothic and Gothic II yet, both of
which have often been compared to Morrowind and very favorably at that.
If she enjoyed Morrowind I think Gothic would be an excellent game to
check into. You may have a little trouble finding the first Gothic game
for sale now at retail/online. I'm not sure. But Gothic II is fairly
recent and easy to come by. You might want to check Amazon.com for both
games and peruse the reader reviews of them there while you are it. If
no luck on the original Gothic at retail, odds are very good you could
find it cheap on eBay. Another possible choice would be Arx Fatalis
which many compared to the old Ultima dungeon game (was it Ultima
Underground? I can't believe I forget now - I played both of them but
that was many years ago). For reviews of the above, info and patches if
there are any, I'd highly recommend Gamespot.com for further info.

And you can tell her in case you weren't both already aware, The Elder
Scrolls IV is now in the works with early preview and development
stories starting to come out about it. But I imagine it is probably a
good year off, although I don't know that.

--
Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:15:26 -0500, Michael
<NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:

>Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gothic and Gothic II yet, both of
>which have often been compared to Morrowind and very favorably at that.

....neither of which I've even heard of. ><

--

"Meldur" <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:46:36 -0700, "Robin Russell"
> <rob2rus@cableone.net> wrote:
> Negative points:
> You need some rogue skills to open chests,other methods
> take too long,get 4 levels of rogue,then add another class,preferably
> one which can make use of Dexterity(Ranger or Warrior).
> Too bad it has "zones",it is even worse than in EQ,once a chapter is
> finished you can not come back,totally opposite to MW. :(

You could make a wizard level and choose a familiar with rogue skills. The
familiar will auto pick locked chests, disable traps etc, once your character
finds them, and will even attack locked chests if he cant pick them.

Uber

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:09:55 -0800, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:15:26 -0500, Michael
><NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gothic and Gothic II yet, both of
>>which have often been compared to Morrowind and very favorably at that.
>
>...neither of which I've even heard of. ><

They are German games,as Michael wrote comparable to MW,deleted
Gothic 1 from my hard drive after trying 15 minutes vainly to climb a
ladder.
Another "hyped" one from Germany recently is "Sacred",kind of a Diablo
clone,funny,the maximum resolution is 1024 * 768,kills it for me,but
gameplay looks interesting if you can live with that.Oh,and it does
not run with the latest Nvidia drivers needed for EQ,you need an older
Version (56.64 or so),otherwise it will crash with a bluescreen,as
this wasnt enough,it corrupted my driver Nvidia at the same time,so
I needed to reinstall.Furthermore it needs Win98 SE,this is a joke
too,demanding newer OS *and* older drivers,lol.So far I was doing fine
with Win 98.

Way off Topic,I know,but at least the 2 letters EQ occure once. :)

Meldur

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:22:25 +0100 in
<4qd9s01uft5utm08ctbcgtbao891k873et@4ax.com>, Meldur
<Meldur@t-online.de> graced the world with this thought:

>Neverwinternights

seconded

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:09:41 -0600 in
<41C5EE15.A606AFC1@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com>, Annie Benson-Lennaman
<teapray@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com> graced the world with this thought:

> Ya, and I'm one of them.

ever put a whole bunch of people in a house with no door? Big fun.

bizbee wrote:

> ever put a whole bunch of people in a house with no door? Big fun.

So is turning off free will, and standing them out in formation out on
the front lawn. And keeping them there.

--

"Michael" <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Robin Russell wrote:
<<SNIP>>>>

> Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gothic and Gothic II yet, both of
> which have often been compared to Morrowind and very favorably at that. If
> she enjoyed Morrowind I think Gothic would be an excellent game to check
> into. You may have a little trouble finding the first Gothic game for sale
> now at retail/online. I'm not sure. But Gothic II is fairly recent and
> easy to come by. You might want to check Amazon.com for both games and
> peruse the reader reviews of them there while you are it. If no luck on
> the original Gothic at retail, odds are very good you could find it cheap
> on eBay. Another possible choice would be Arx Fatalis which many compared
> to the old Ultima dungeon game (was it Ultima Underground? I can't believe
> I forget now - I played both of them but that was many years ago). For
> reviews of the above, info and patches if there are any, I'd highly
> recommend Gamespot.com for further info.
>
> And you can tell her in case you weren't both already aware, The Elder
> Scrolls IV is now in the works with early preview and development stories
> starting to come out about it. But I imagine it is probably a good year
> off, although I don't know that.

And, as Meldur mentioned, their is Sacred, a questaholic's dream (so
addictive that my daughter, a Sims only freak, jumped in as well as my
8-year old son). Another almost-nonlinear RPG beauty comes from Germany,
too. Give Divine Divinity a try. Great story immersion, interact with
environment, do what you want...good times.

Greg Howard

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:03:35 +0100, The Uber Nuker wrote:

> "Meldur" <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:46:36 -0700, "Robin Russell"
>> <rob2rus@cableone.net> wrote:
>> Negative points:
>> You need some rogue skills to open chests,other methods
>> take too long,get 4 levels of rogue,then add another class,preferably
>> one which can make use of Dexterity(Ranger or Warrior).
>> Too bad it has "zones",it is even worse than in EQ,once a chapter is
>> finished you can not come back,totally opposite to MW. :(
>>

> You could make a wizard level and choose a familiar with rogue skills. The
> familiar will auto pick locked chests, disable traps etc, once your character
> finds them, and will even attack locked chests if he cant pick them.
>
> Uber

Yeah but that Pixie tinkling sound gets annoying rather quick. Slightly
less fast than Tomi's catch phrase.
--
RJB
12/20/2004 4:06:56 PM

Doh!
--Homer Simpson

RJB wrote:

> Yeah but that Pixie tinkling sound gets annoying rather quick. Slightly
> less fast than Tomi's catch phrase.

You have to also factor in the coolness aspect of the stories they
tell. Tomi's stories usually end with someone running down the street
naked, usually from an enraged crowd.

I wish I knew Tomi in RL.

--

Dark Tyger wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:15:26 -0500, Michael
> <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gothic and Gothic II yet, both of
>>which have often been compared to Morrowind and very favorably at that.
>

> ...neither of which I've even heard of. ><

If you never heard of either Gothic game, I can only surmise you don't
follow single player RPGs seriously, which is cool but that must be why.
Anyone who is into them in any kind of serious way and follows what's
available on sites such as gamespot, etc. would be aware of them. Gothic
and Gothic II were very well recieved by single player RPG players and
many found them to be something like Morrowind with a fair number noting
things they thought were superior to Morrowind when it came to diversity
among NPCs and the world seeming to be more of a living breathing place.

--

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:20:31 -0600, Annie Benson-Lennaman wrote:

> RJB wrote:
>
>> Yeah but that Pixie tinkling sound gets annoying rather quick. Slightly
>> less fast than Tomi's catch phrase.
>
> You have to also factor in the coolness aspect of the stories they
> tell. Tomi's stories usually end with someone running down the street
> naked, usually from an enraged crowd.
True, but I really didn't get entangled in his story too much. I usually
play a rogue so I didn't need him. The one time I *did* try a wizard the
fairy lasted until the next level when I could pick a new familiar and Tomi
lasted until the next level when I quit and rolled a new character.

> I wish I knew Tomi in RL.
What would Lenny say!! (Rhetorical question... I *really* don't want to
know. <g>)

--
RJB
12/21/2004 8:14:14 AM

The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
the fact that it was he who by peddling second-hand, second-rate
technology, led them all into it in the first place.
--Douglas Adams Author, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in news:Z5-dneuMTJrQbFrcRVn-
qw@comcast.com:

> Dark Tyger wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:15:26 -0500, Michael
>> <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gothic and Gothic II yet, both of
>>>which have often been compared to Morrowind and very favorably at
that.

>> ...neither of which I've even heard of. ><
>>

> If you never heard of either Gothic game, I can only surmise you don't
> follow single player RPGs seriously, which is cool but that must be
why.

I have not played a single player RPG since I started EQ.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Graeme Faelban wrote:
> Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in news:Z5-dneuMTJrQbFrcRVn-
> qw@comcast.com:
>

>>Dark Tyger wrote:

> that.
>

>>>...neither of which I've even heard of. ><
>>>
>>If you never heard of either Gothic game, I can only surmise you don't
>>follow single player RPGs seriously, which is cool but that must be
>
> why.
>

> I have not played a single player RPG since I started EQ.

Actually, I haven't either and do not follow them as closely as I used
to. But Gothic II had either released or was about to when I started
playing EQ. So I was well aware of the game.

I do think that I will rarely ever play a single player RPG again
myself. Although I doubt I will be able to resist The Elder Scrolls IV
whenever it arrives.

--
Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:08:58 -0500, "Sedce Frozentears"
<fadedwings@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I would also suggest Disciples 2 or the original Disciples, both are a lot
>of fun. Not sure on finding them though because they appear to be Canadian
>Games, they are turn based strategy games that you can play 3 or 4 races
>(It's been a while since I played it). They have a good story line too.

Sorry this is so late, been away on vacation over the holidays. You
can get Disciples 2 as part of the Totalgaming.net setup. I bought the
entire package - steep at the price, but it includes some good
strategy games. A while ago, you could also buy the game in the
bargain bin in the local compusa so you might want to check around
first.

HTH

Ollorin, Mage of 49 glorious lvls (semi-retired), Druzzl Ro