Trying to connect Linksys WET11 to Netgear MR814

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

I am trying to access a local public WiFi network.
I purchased a Linksys WET11 bridge and I want to connect it to my Netgear
MR814 so I could route the public signal in my home network but the router
does not seem to regognize the internet from the bridge.

The bridge seems to be working fine. I detects various home networks and I
was able to get it to pick up my existing wireless network, albeit through a
Linksys ethernet adapter, on one of my PCs. I have tried all combinations
of switches on the WET11 - X and ||

Note the signal strength of outside networks is pretty weak - 40% at best
per the WET11. I plan on getting a 18dbi directional antenna when I can
make the router/bridge combo work.

The router is currently configured to get IP dynamically from the ISP.

Do I have the router configured properly?
Will I just have to get the external antenna/have a stronger signal?
Am I stuck having to get a Linksys router to go with the WET11 to make this
all work?
1 answer Last reply
More about trying connect linksys wet11 netgear mr814
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    "S" <__s__@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > The router is currently configured to get IP dynamically from the ISP.

    Sounds like the router isn't talking to the wireless bridge.

    I think you need to have your wireless bridge configured for DHCP. You will
    also have to manually assign it a fixed IP address for the LAN port as seen
    from the side the router will connect. The bridge was ment to get its
    address from a DHCP server on the LAN, but you're not using it exactly that
    way.

    The router will have to be configured manually too since the wireless bridge
    doesn't have a DHCP function to assign devices connected to it IP addresses
    as far as I can tell from looking through the online manual on the Linksys
    web site. The router will have to have its default gateway address set to
    the IP address of the LAN port of the wireless bridge. I think you will also
    have to set the DNS server addresses too for what the ISP uses. The router's
    DHCP function should be enabled for computers on your LAN to get configured
    right.

    I think that should work other than the specific junk like the SSID etc. for
    the wireless connection. I would be interested in knowing if this works for
    you.

    --
    Leland C. Scott
    KC8LDO

    Wireless Network
    Mobile computing
    on the go brought
    to you by Micro$oft

Routers Connection Linksys Wireless Networking