Overclocking the GA-7VTXH question...

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
It appears it's a piece of cake to overclock the processor. I was able to take my XP 1600+ and raise it to a XP 1800+ with no problem. Haven't tried any higher, but I think it will go higher.

The real question is with overclocking the memory. I have PC2400 memory in and would like to run it at 150 instead of 133, but it doesn't allow me to change that in the bios or easytune software. It does allow you to set a Top Performance setting which I did, and benchmarks showed this did do an increase. But like I said, since I have PC2400 memory, I would like to set the RAM speed to 150.

You really don't change the multiplier when over clocking the processor, you are changing the bus speed, maybe this is doing something to the memory as well not sure.

If anyone has this board and overclocked their DDR memory I would love to hear it :)

Thanks,

James

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Heh, a follow-up to my own post. I somewhat retract what I said about going to an XP 1800+. I was overclocking the bus, to 146Mhz, that got the processor speed to 1.53Ghz. It seemed to work well, but then I got a few crashes when clicking around on windows. So now i've backed the bus down to 140Mhz, and that has the processor at 1.47Ghz(basically comparable to a XP 1700+). I used it all night with no problems.

Odd thing is, I put the bus back down to 133 and decided to just change the multiplier(via the board way, not bios). I changed it from 10.5 to 11 and 11.5, and NO changes. Either the dual bios is screwing with me, or you have to unclock the multiplier some how.

I still don't have a clue on bumping the memory to 150 ;-)

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
When you were first thinking about this board - I told you that while the GA-7VTXH has nice features and is very stable, it does not support oc'ing very well, so if that's important, you would be better off considering the Epox 8KHA+.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
It's not super important to me. But I figured most boards let you do the multiplier. I also figured it would let me bump the memory to 150. It's not a real big deal, just would be nice. Who knows, maybe with a bios upgrade, maybe they will support PC2400 & PC2700.

Overall, it's a good board.