Hi all, How would my machine run Skyrim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

That_Guy_Matt

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello Skyrim Fans,

Can anyone confirm or deny my system setup as it pertains to running the game in both a functional as well as enjoyable fashion with decent graphics and playability without lag?

In short, I'd use:

AMD Athlon 64 x 2; 2.8 GHz dual core
Radeon HD 6670 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3
Kingston ValueRAM - 4GB (2x 2GB), PC2-6400, DDR2-800MHz, CL6 (1600 MHz with DDR, correct?)
Hard Drive,320GB,S2,7.2K RPM
I would use a low resolution like 1280x1024 or 1600xWhatever.
I would disable shadows and disable reflections, etc.

What settings could i use? Medium? Medium-high? Would the magic and cinematics and gameplay still be smooth? Thanks!

In long:

I'm looking to play on the PC since it seems to have the fastest support and most bells and whistles available, but my current PC is not powerful enough. In order to take the cheapest financial route to play Skyrim I'd like to upgrade my system RAM and my GFX card only.

This would push my setup to:

1. AMD Athlon 64 x 2; 2.8 GHz (my propriety mobo wont let me upgrade the processor and it's only a dual core, but as I understand, the AMD architecture is faster than Intel's for gaming purposes due to a data pipeline with less relays and therefore less processing errors. In the original Athlon I believe it was something like the AMD's 6 or 7 relays versus Intel's 21-23 relays. I'm not sure how much this actually affects games but every little bit helps!)

Also, the Dell System Config list from the support site lists the processor as follows:
Qty 1. Part # R8FWN Processor,Athlon 64X2 For Desktops,240,2.8,512X2,2C,C2

2.8 GHz, assuming 512 x 2 Cache but not sure what levels. I assume at least level 2 cache based on the age of the PC which I bought mid 2010. Assuming the 2C or C2 talk about cache level and/or latency timers. Dunno what 240, 2C, or C2 mean for sure though.

2. XFX HD-667X-ZHF3 Radeon HD 6670 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.1 (X16), DVI, VGA, HDMI, DirectX 11, Single-Slot (id have to buy this and install it before i buy the game, currently on sale for 60 USD)

3. Kingston ValueRAM KVR800D2N6K2/4G Desktop Memory Kit - 4GB (2x 2GB), PC2-6400, DDR2-800MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 1.8V, CL6, Non-ECC, Unbuffered (I'd have to buy this also, for 53 USD. It's not the best RAM on the market but 2 sticks would activate DDR on the mobo)

4. Hard Drive,320GB,S2,7.2K,SGT-PHAR (this is currently installed, not too concerned about the HDD)

I'd also have to buy the game which is about 60 USD also.

Total about 180 USD. 200 is about all I have to spend since money is tight right now.

I believe my primary bottleneck would be the processor if I moved forward with this setup. However I would play it at a lower resolution than 1900x1080 or whatever 1080p is - with as many inconsequential graphic options turned off as I could stand. I would probably be happy at 1280x1024 res or 1600xWhatever maximum. As from playing Everquest I know that Shadows use a huge amount of processing power and certain dynamic lighting effects use a good amount of power too but have little to show for it visually besides reflections and glints on weapons and shields.

Here are the specs for Skyrim from Bethesda:

Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher (i.e GTX550Ti); ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

"The Min specs get you playing, The recommended specs let you play on High, not on Ultra. You'll want beefier rig for that"
-From Pete Hines' Twitter account

Apparently Pete Hines is some corporate VP or CEO from Bethesda or something. Excuse my ignorance but ive already done a lot of research on this game and im just not going to look that up.

Bottom line is if someone can provide experiential evidence that I can play on a Low-medium, medium, or medium-high setting with little to no lag on the setup I listed for 180 USD i would pay that amount. It looks like a heck of a game.

Thanks,
Matt

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Id try to spend a little more on the video card and get a 6870, 6670 is weak and you would probably end up replacing it quickly.

Processor is a little weak too but im sure the game would run on medium settings with a better video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.