Sign in with
Your question

My computer keeps crashing out of games.

Last response: in Video Games
December 5, 2011 8:38:50 PM

Can anybody help me? I've had this rig for a while now, and it's run smoothly up until this point. My favorite games, Napoleon Total War, Total War: Shogun 2, Skyrim, Civilizations V, they all keep crashing on me, and it seems to be at random when they do it. My rig (Or at least what I can say off the top of my head) is:

intel core i7 920
GTX 560 Superclocked (DX11) with duel frozr (Installed recently)
850 W power supply
CPU fan cooling/heat synch that was top of the line in 2007/08
6GB of RAM (I assum 1666 but I can't be sure right now)
500GB of HDDR
Sound Blaster Xstreme (Or something like that)
Windows Vista SP2 32 bit
And I run a 1080p monitor.

My CPU temp never gets above 48 degrees C.

Anyways, when I launch games to play them, it usually works fine until anywhere from 5 minutes of play time to several hours, when the games will either start lagging out of no-where or crash to the desktop completely. It should be noted that I messed with my BIOS at one point to try and OC my CPU, but I've since set it back to the default settings in attempt to mend this ailment.
December 7, 2011 12:55:57 AM

Just a few questions. When flashing the BIOS did anything happen out of the ordinary? When flashing you have to be very careful.

Next question. What are the temps on your GTX 560 when playing? Do you have your CPU OC? Did this problem start after the new GPU?

I see your card came superclocked but did you push it higher?. Are all the drivers updated for your GPU and Sound Blaster? lets start with this.

Just so you know I am not the best help but I might have a few suggestions for you plus I have all the total war games, I am a big fan as you can see my avatar is from Shogun 2
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:25:38 AM

As I've said, I've since put my BIOS back to default as regarding my CPU. As far as I can tell, there were no problems with that. I did not meddle with the 560 after I got it, and have installed all of the recent drivers for both my GPU and sound card. As far as temps for my 560, I'm not quite sure how to tell, but I've just gauged it based on the temps of my CPU, HDD, and SYS, which stay below 50c at all times (Even heavy load.) I don't imagine the GPU would overheat any more than that, but I have no way to tell either.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2011 12:13:48 AM

TBonew said:
As I've said, I've since put my BIOS back to default as regarding my CPU. As far as I can tell, there were no problems with that. I did not meddle with the 560 after I got it, and have installed all of the recent drivers for both my GPU and sound card. As far as temps for my 560, I'm not quite sure how to tell, but I've just gauged it based on the temps of my CPU, HDD, and SYS, which stay below 50c at all times (Even heavy load.) I don't imagine the GPU would overheat any more than that, but I have no way to tell either.

Down load MSI afterburner for your GPU

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

And this one will help you use it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-...

You are probley right that the temps are down as you stated but this way we can rule it out as a problem.

I also noticed that you have 6 gb of ram and you you have a 32 bit OP In the 32 bit you can only use just about 4 gigs. your system won't allow you to use more than that. Also since you are having this ishue with the total war games that on there forums a lot of people were having a lot CTD (crash to desktop) They all had to do something about changing the ram thing I can't remember. You had to go into Cmd prompt and change something in there in order to fix the CTD problem. You can try this if you want.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238484
m
l
December 8, 2011 11:24:22 AM

Thank you so much. I'm going to check out my temps this afternoon and see what others are doing about their CTDs. And yeah, I know my OS is not really fit for my system, but I can't really do anything about it at the moment. I'm working on maybe upgrading, but we shall see. Anyways thank you so much for your help so far.
m
l
December 11, 2011 10:51:33 PM

Well, I did the whole RAM fix, but the game still crashes (though not as frequently.) I'm working on testing to see if my sound card could possibly be the problem, as I've heard that sometimes sound cards can cause CTDs. I don't know what I would do if it turns out to be the problem however, as I have all of the latest drivers.
m
l
December 11, 2011 11:15:55 PM

TBonew said:
Well, I did the whole RAM fix, but the game still crashes (though not as frequently.) I'm working on testing to see if my sound card could possibly be the problem, as I've heard that sometimes sound cards can cause CTDs. I don't know what I would do if it turns out to be the problem however, as I have all of the latest drivers.

I have too herd about the sound cards I hope that might fix the problem
m
l
!