Problems w/XP Home Ed. upgrade from 98 + SP2

After upgrading from Win98 to XP Home Edition and later installing SP2
several features are not working:
Search panel is 'blank' and cannot conduct any search for files
The Help & Support feature won't start
Add/Delete Programs has a large blank space in the middle of the list of
programs.
?????
After getting used to Win98, here are a few heacaches to worry about. Any
ideas (besides buying a new computer?).
1 answer Last reply
More about problems home upgrade

    Look here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
    Scroll down to:
    Search - Doesn't Work

    Look here:
    Click on: Why doesn't Help and Support work?

    =====

    Courtesy of Kelly
    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Add or Remove - White Space
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

    [[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
    here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
    application listed:
    Start/Run/Regedit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

    AutoCad Fix
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

    Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

    ===

    I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
    shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
    registry...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    {5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
    Value Name: DisplayIcon
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

    Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

    Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
    autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
    autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
    the fix than changing the -1.

    I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
    remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
    it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
    work. Until the next time. ;-)

    autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
    folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
    Value Name: DisplayIcon
    Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

    autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
    %systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    {5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
    Value Name: DisplayIcon
    Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
    -----

    From snowman...
    AutoCAD 2002 is
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2DC31387-B001-4ED2-9688-90ABE96952F2@microsoft.com,
    Bernie <Bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > After upgrading from Win98 to XP Home Edition and later installing SP2
    > several features are not working:
    > Search panel is 'blank' and cannot conduct any search for files
    > The Help & Support feature won't start
    > Add/Delete Programs has a large blank space in the middle of the list
    > of programs.
    > ?????
    > After getting used to Win98, here are a few heacaches to worry about.
    > Any ideas (besides buying a new computer?).

Microsoft Windows XP