Internet options

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 25, 2004 12:49:28 PM

I'm new to this group so I have a couple of questions. From the Yahoo
cell/internet group I got where I am but am still miles from where I'd
like to be. I'll list equipment and questions below. thanks for your
help.

Equipment: I know old Motorola V120 phone.
Verizon's Americas Choice plan
USB cable hookup to my Dell laptop.
Futuredial-snapdialer software
Venturi accellerator download

At present I use the qnc #777 to access the internet. I know it only
connects at 14.4k and this is why I am wondering what is needed to
increase my speed with the least cost involved. At 14.4k I can only
work with email. Web surfing is out of the question.
Do I need a different phone to make a big difference?
What's a good phone for internet?
What speeds can you expect without buying a data plan?
I read about adding the photo/ added to get a faster connection, will
this help?
I only use this combo when on the road or at some relatives in the dark
ages.
Thanks for your help
mark

More about : internet options

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:37:51 PM

Grizzy wrote:
> I'm new to this group so I have a couple of questions. From the Yahoo
> cell/internet group I got where I am but am still miles from where I'd
> like to be. I'll list equipment and questions below. thanks for your
> help.
>
> Equipment: I know old Motorola V120 phone.
> Verizon's Americas Choice plan
> USB cable hookup to my Dell laptop.
> Futuredial-snapdialer software
> Venturi accellerator download
>
> At present I use the qnc #777 to access the internet. I know it only
> connects at 14.4k and this is why I am wondering what is needed to
> increase my speed with the least cost involved. At 14.4k I can only
> work with email. Web surfing is out of the question.
> Do I need a different phone to make a big difference?
> What's a good phone for internet?
> What speeds can you expect without buying a data plan?
> I read about adding the photo/ added to get a faster connection, will
> this help?
> I only use this combo when on the road or at some relatives in the
> dark ages.
> Thanks for your help
> mark

Hate to tell you, but your combo is probably destined for failure.... Don't
see that as a 1X phone (capable of higher data speeds). Nothing (no feature)
you can add will allow faster data with that phone... (the phone has to
support 1X speeds before you can use the FREE feature to an AC plan).

Since the cable/connector is usually phone dependent, why not look at any of
the current phones on the verizon website (I think they are all
NationalAccess capable), and the mobile office kit for it (about $35, for
both Mobile Office and a Data Cable, both specifically for that phone).

The standard 1X stuff is bursting up to 144kb (10 times QNC speed), average
about 70-100kb.

To answer your q's, yes - different phone. Good phone - up to your needs.
Speeds - I get about 80kb, lately a lot faster. Photo stuff - no cause
again your phone will not do the faster speed. Phone use w/laptop- there
are thousands of people that do exactly that when traveling. I live and
travel in an RV, and there are a large number of RV'rs who do that exact
same thing (use a phone cable and laptop, look in the RV Newsgroups, or if
you know how to use google, try that).
December 25, 2004 11:05:12 PM

Pete
Let me get this straight.
1: I need a new phone that will give me 1x capability
2: go with the mobile office and data cable for the above phone
This should get me all connected, and be all the hardware needed right?
One last question is what do you now have to dial into to connect to
the 1x if you don't go the QNC dial up # anymore? Does vzw accually
give you a number? I got my phone to work from info gathered on these
kind of forums before.
Thanks for the help
mark
December 25, 2004 11:40:14 PM

Grizzy wrote:
> Pete
> Let me get this straight.
> 1: I need a new phone that will give me 1x capability
> 2: go with the mobile office and data cable for the above phone
> This should get me all connected, and be all the hardware needed
> right? One last question is what do you now have to dial into to
> connect to the 1x if you don't go the QNC dial up # anymore? Does
> vzw accually give you a number? I got my phone to work from info
> gathered on these kind of forums before.
> Thanks for the help
> mark

I got the phone, and the Mobile Office kit specifically for it (cable and
software, 34.99)
You can ALWAYS use #777 when on native verizon (and many extended network
areas).. For 1X you *MUST* use #777. It connects direct to verizons
network/bypassing modems, and is faster than dial-up to a modem can possibly
be. (1X at 80k-90k avg speed is way more than the max speed of 56k for
direct dial to a modem).

You *can* use #777 for QNC, but you *MUST* use #777 for 1X. Most people that
travel have one connect for 1X using #777, and a backup to call the ISP
directly using QNC (10 digit phone number, usually free LD on cell calls).

The way I look at it is this way, you can pay about $35 for something that
works absolutely (both cable and software, and the cable allows you to
charge while connected, and the software includes Venturi compression that
can save you connect time), or you can spend about $30 for the other stuff,
hope it works, and not use compression. Lets see.. $5 more.. about 12-13
minutes of airtime.. Bet I can save way more than that in the next month or
two...

Before you ask, #777 is a connect direct to the verizon network, no modems,
no long distance, no modem speed negotiations, and can be used for both QNC
*AND* 1X.

Funny enuf, while I use the name "Peter Pan" online, my name is actually
Marc <--- with a "C".. People mispell Peter Pan a lot less than
Marc/Mark.... :)
December 26, 2004 8:46:35 AM

PP
Thanks again Marc,
I've been using the #777 as you said and when connected it always says
144k hahaha. Well being around old dialup I know the numbers mean
nothing, I know it's really 14k. So all that's different now would be
the 1X technology and I continue to use the same dialing procedure.
Now to find out when I can get the $100 off a new phone, then get
going.
Thanks
mark
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:42:24 AM

Grizzy wrote:
> PP
> Thanks again Marc,
> I've been using the #777 as you said and when connected it always says
> 144k hahaha. Well being around old dialup I know the numbers mean
> nothing, I know it's really 14k. So all that's different now would be
> the 1X technology and I continue to use the same dialing procedure.
> Now to find out when I can get the $100 off a new phone, then get
> going.
> Thanks
> mark

Yup.. The biggest problem you will find is that there are different
cables/software for different phones. If you get a new phone, unless it uses
the exact same cable (very unlikely), you will have to get a new cable to
work with your new phone anyway.

If you are willing to take something that works and is cheap, rather than
the newest/flashiest phones, I picked up two phones AND a mobile office kit
specifically for it/them on ebay for $35 (that's TWO phones AND a MO kit for
the/both phones, if one phone dies I have the other). You can get phones
elsewhere and change the ESN on the account for free at the verizon website.
You don't just have to get them only from Verizon. As it turns out, the two
phones I got on ebay are actually tri-mode, so I can use em for voice in
analog areas.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:51:05 AM

Grizzy wrote:
> PP
> Thanks again Marc,
> I've been using the #777 as you said and when connected it always says
> 144k hahaha. Well being around old dialup I know the numbers mean
> nothing, I know it's really 14k. So all that's different now would be
> the 1X technology and I continue to use the same dialing procedure.
> Now to find out when I can get the $100 off a new phone, then get
> going.
> Thanks
> mark

I forgot on the other post, there will be one other change required for 1X
rather than QNC. Know how you have to set the userid password to qnc/qnc for
qnc? You have to log on as Userid (10 digit phone number)@vzw3g.com
Password vzw for the 1X. (but specifically the dialing is the same, #777)
December 26, 2004 5:02:07 PM

Got it!!
Thanks
mark
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 11:05:59 PM

grizzy

ebay ? did you get the LG3200 or the 4400

my wifes 3200 is tri-mode

my 4500 is digital only

Marc

several LG phones are on sale right now at VZW

I thnk the 3200 is $19.99 with a new contract and you will need to sign
up for "EN MOU"

that's express net 'minutes of use' the calls come off your plan
minutes

so most of us use that instead of a data plan and then connect at night
and weekends

I have unlimited night and weekend minutes and it works out very well

except that nights begin at 9:01 PM so I have many late nights

1 note you won't get 1xRTT data speed from galmas using the analog mode
of the tri-mode phone. that will be 14K but the compression software
will improve that somewhat.

As far your computer is concerned the phone is your modem and the #777
is a direct number into vzw computers vzw is the ISP when connecting
this way
December 27, 2004 1:28:32 PM

Wiz

No, I haven't got a new phone yet but thanks for the suggestions. I'm
getting close to the two and new phone deal with vzn. I just need a
simple phone for calls and the ability to connect to the internet
faster than 14.4k. The frills are not for me.
mark
December 27, 2004 8:54:13 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> Grizzy wrote:
>
>>Pete
>>Let me get this straight.
>>1: I need a new phone that will give me 1x capability
>>2: go with the mobile office and data cable for the above phone
>>This should get me all connected, and be all the hardware needed
>>right? One last question is what do you now have to dial into to
>>connect to the 1x if you don't go the QNC dial up # anymore? Does
>>vzw accually give you a number? I got my phone to work from info
>>gathered on these kind of forums before.
>>Thanks for the help
>>mark
>

> I got the phone, and the Mobile Office kit specifically for it (cable and
> software, 34.99)
> You can ALWAYS use #777 when on native verizon (and many extended network
> areas).. For 1X you *MUST* use #777. It connects direct to verizons
> network/bypassing modems, and is faster than dial-up to a modem can possibly
> be. (1X at 80k-90k avg speed is way more than the max speed of 56k for
> direct dial to a modem).
>
> You *can* use #777 for QNC, but you *MUST* use #777 for 1X. Most people that
> travel have one connect for 1X using #777, and a backup to call the ISP
> directly using QNC (10 digit phone number, usually free LD on cell calls).
>
> The way I look at it is this way, you can pay about $35 for something that
> works absolutely (both cable and software, and the cable allows you to
> charge while connected, and the software includes Venturi compression that
> can save you connect time), or you can spend about $30 for the other stuff,
> hope it works, and not use compression. Lets see.. $5 more.. about 12-13
> minutes of airtime.. Bet I can save way more than that in the next month or
> two...
>
> Before you ask, #777 is a connect direct to the verizon network, no modems,
> no long distance, no modem speed negotiations, and can be used for both QNC
> *AND* 1X.
>
> Funny enuf, while I use the name "Peter Pan" online, my name is actually
> Marc <--- with a "C".. People mispell Peter Pan a lot less than
> Marc/Mark.... :)

Marc-
Thanks for your help in this forum. What is the USERNAME and PASSWORD
for the QNC. I got the one for 1XRTT. Thanks,

Richard
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 8:54:14 PM

Richard wrote:

> Marc-
> Thanks for your help in this forum. What is the USERNAME and PASSWORD
> for the QNC. I got the one for 1XRTT. Thanks,
>
> Richard

Username qnc
Password qnc

Note that it is the same for everyone.. Only the 1X stuff is unique (by
using the phone number as a unique username), and uses a seperate server
(vzw3g,com)
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 3:09:49 AM

Grizzy wrote:
> Wiz
>
> No, I haven't got a new phone yet but thanks for the suggestions.
I'm
> getting close to the two and new phone deal with vzn. I just need a
> simple phone for calls and the ability to connect to the internet
> faster than 14.4k. The frills are not for me.
> mark

marc

the LG vx3200 should be perfect for you

it is tri-mode

will work for internet modem connection

stores many numbers

and has multipile ringtones

it has good quality sound and good battery life

and a nice color display

you can assign ringtones to different callers, so you know if someone
is calling from a specific number
( wife from home or her cell ) boss from office phone
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:02:54 PM

Richard Wrote:
> Peter Pan wrote:
> > Grizzy wrote:
> >
> >>Pete
> >>Let me get this straight.
> >>1: I need a new phone that will give me 1x capability
> >>2: go with the mobile office and data cable for the above phone
> >>This should get me all connected, and be all the hardware needed
> >>right? One last question is what do you now have to dial into to
> >>connect to the 1x if you don't go the QNC dial up # anymore? Does
> >>vzw accually give you a number? I got my phone to work from info
> >>gathered on these kind of forums before.
> >>Thanks for the help
> >>mark
> >

> > I got the phone, and the Mobile Office kit specifically for it (cable
> and
> > software, 34.99)
> > You can ALWAYS use #777 when on native verizon (and many extended
> network
> > areas).. For 1X you *MUST* use #777. It connects direct to verizons
> > network/bypassing modems, and is faster than dial-up to a modem can
> possibly
> > be. (1X at 80k-90k avg speed is way more than the max speed of 56k
> for
> > direct dial to a modem).
> >
> > You *can* use #777 for QNC, but you *MUST* use #777 for 1X. Most
> people that
> > travel have one connect for 1X using #777, and a backup to call the
> ISP
> > directly using QNC (10 digit phone number, usually free LD on cell
> calls).
> >
> > The way I look at it is this way, you can pay about $35 for something
> that
> > works absolutely (both cable and software, and the cable allows you
> > charge while connected, and the software includes Venturi compression
> that
> > can save you connect time), or you can spend about $30 for the other
> stuff,
> > hope it works, and not use compression. Lets see.. $5 more.. about
> 12-13
> > minutes of airtime.. Bet I can save way more than that in the next
> month or
> > two...
> >
> > Before you ask, #777 is a connect direct to the verizon network, no
> modems,
> > no long distance, no modem speed negotiations, and can be used for
> both QNC
> > *AND* 1X.
> >
> > Funny enuf, while I use the name "Peter Pan" online, my name is
> actually
> > Marc <--- with a "C".. People mispell Peter Pan a lot less than
> > Marc/Mark.... :)
> >

> Marc-
> Thanks for your help in this forum. What is the USERNAME and PASSWORD
> for the QNC. I got the one for 1XRTT. Thanks,
>
> Richard
************************************

hey guys, new to this. It sounded neat so thought I give it a try but I
cant get it to work like you describe. please help :)

1) have a America choice plan
2) Got a LG-VX4500
3) Got the mobile office kit
4) install the Venturi client
5) install the Verizon VZAccess Manager
- says it will enable ecpress network and Q2net
6) I can use the Q2net fine - connects at 14.4
7) tried the National Access - gives me a 619 error
What did I do wrong?
I created another dialup account :
dialing: #777
username = <phonenumber>@vzw3g.com,
password = vzw

It connects but seems the speed seems to be the same as the Q2net -
14.4

--
teaserti
January 26, 2005 7:02:55 PM

> It connects but seems the speed seems to be the same as the Q2net -
> 14.4

You may wish to check the port speed on both the laptop and the phone.
115,200 or 230,400 should be selected in both places. (If one device
only supports the lower speed, then use it for both selections).

See the modem initialization strings posted here:
http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/setup.html
Use the correct one for 1X data.

Failing all of that, you may have a phone that doesn't permit best data
throughput
for 1X. I had a Sony Ericson T61C. That phone, when tethered to my laptop,
could not give me better than QNC speed no matter what I tried.

The phones that have performed best for me, for data purposes, complete
with free USB driver have been the Kyocera's. I can download their
"high speed USB" driver, set both ends to 230,400 and get the promised
throughput without issue.

-Dan

PS: I had an LG4400 back before Verizon sold a mobile office kit for it. I
bought
the future dial cable and software and had great difficulty getting it to
work.
Given that data is important to me, the Kyocera phones have worked very
nicely for my needs-- both with my PC laptop and my Mac powerbook.

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest

--

"teaserti" <teaserti.1jh3xm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:38:36 AM

teaserti wrote:

> hey guys, new to this. It sounded neat so thought I give it a try but
> I cant get it to work like you describe. please help :)
>
> 1) have a America choice plan
> 2) Got a LG-VX4500
> 3) Got the mobile office kit
> 4) install the Venturi client
> 5) install the Verizon VZAccess Manager
> - says it will enable ecpress network and Q2net
> 6) I can use the Q2net fine - connects at 14.4
> 7) tried the National Access - gives me a 619 error
> What did I do wrong?
> I created another dialup account :
> dialing: #777
> username = <phonenumber>@vzw3g.com,
> password = vzw
>
> It connects but seems the speed seems to be the same as the Q2net -
> 14.4

From your post, and #7 (you got a 619 authentication error), that says you
don't have the **FREE** option that lets you do it.. It was not added
automatically to new accounts for about 8 months.. Sounds like you got a
contract in that time period. Call CS and do not - repeat loudly **DO NOT**
mention tethered internet access, simply tell them you want to be able to
use GIN (Get It Now) at high speed, they will turn on the option for you.
After that it should work fine.
Since you have the mobile office kit, totally ignore the suggestions about
setup strings or driver speed.....they are wrong for the Mobile Office kit
(which already has that stuff in it)...
If you must say something, just mention an error 619 when trying to use GIN,
and you *heard* that if you are allowed 1x access, it will work <----
pretend I said it out loud, then you don't have to lie.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:50:39 AM

--
teaserti
January 27, 2005 11:58:42 PM

> Since you have the mobile office kit, totally ignore the suggestions about
> setup strings or driver speed.....they are wrong for the Mobile Office kit
> (which already has that stuff in it)...

I've been a mobile office kit user for about five years-- when I started
using
Verizon's service in my area the CS folks still answered the phone as
airtouch
(This was right at Verizon's formation).

Anyway, the port settings and strings *do* matter. In many cases they are
not
necessary, however, that is another matter.

If you say want QNC data on a 1X phone, then the string is required. If you
want best performance out of 1X data then changing to 230,400 port speed
on both the phone and your laptop (assuming supported), will yield better
performance.

-Dan

--

=======================
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:17:53 AM

Dan Albrich wrote:
>> Since you have the mobile office kit, totally ignore the suggestions
>> about setup strings or driver speed.....they are wrong for the
>> Mobile Office kit (which already has that stuff in it)...
>
> I've been a mobile office kit user for about five years-- when I
> started using
> Verizon's service in my area the CS folks still answered the phone as
> airtouch
> (This was right at Verizon's formation).
>
> Anyway, the port settings and strings *do* matter. In many cases
> they are not
> necessary, however, that is another matter.
>
> If you say want QNC data on a 1X phone, then the string is required.
> If you want best performance out of 1X data then changing to 230,400
> port speed on both the phone and your laptop (assuming supported),
> will yield better performance.
>
> -Dan

That's usually true only if you have a generic MO kit, or one for a
different model of phone... He has one specific for that phone, so the setup
strings and driver speed are already setup in the drivers he gets with the
mo (specific for that model of phone)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:36:10 AM

No. "Mobile Office" is a Verizon marketing name for tethering a laptop to
your cell phone.

-Dan

See http://cell.uoregon.edu/verizon/data/index.html for more information.

--

=======================

"jeepramz" <jeepramz.1jv4by@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> Are you talking about subscribing to Mobile Web by VZW with MSNĀ®?
>

> --
> jeepramz
> jeepramz's Profile:
> http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t164087

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:08:58 AM

thanks, I'll try it out soon as I get home next week.

Anyone know about Sprint services? I have sprint service as well - LG
5225. Tried this out using the sprint phone and the verizon LGVX4500
usb drivers & mobile office kit. Darn thing connects, says 144k, I
get an IP, but I cannot surf anywhere. Is it the software?

thanks again :)

Peter Pan Wrote:
> teaserti wrote:
> >
> > hey guys, new to this. It sounded neat so thought I give it a try but
> > I cant get it to work like you describe. please help :)
> >
> > 1) have a America choice plan
> > 2) Got a LG-VX4500
> > 3) Got the mobile office kit
> > 4) install the Venturi client
> > 5) install the Verizon VZAccess Manager
> > - says it will enable ecpress network and Q2net
> > 6) I can use the Q2net fine - connects at 14.4
> > 7) tried the National Access - gives me a 619 error
> > What did I do wrong?
> > I created another dialup account :
> > dialing: #777
> > username = <phonenumber>@vzw3g.com,
> > password = vzw
> >
> > It connects but seems the speed seems to be the same as the Q2net -
> > 14.4
>
> From your post, and #7 (you got a 619 authentication error), that says
> you
> don't have the **FREE** option that lets you do it.. It was not added
> automatically to new accounts for about 8 months.. Sounds like you got
> contract in that time period. Call CS and do not - repeat loudly **DO
> NOT**
> mention tethered internet access, simply tell them you want to be able
> use GIN (Get It Now) at high speed, they will turn on the option for
> you.
> After that it should work fine.
> Since you have the mobile office kit, totally ignore the suggestions
> about
> setup strings or driver speed.....they are wrong for the Mobile Office
> kit
> (which already has that stuff in it)...
> If you must say something, just mention an error 619 when trying to use
> GIN,
> and you *heard* that if you are allowed 1x access, it will work <----
> pretend I said it out loud, then you don't have to lie.

--
teaserti
February 19, 2005 1:08:59 AM

Can't help ya on sprint, but maybe someone else here can.. If it's just the
sprint phone on the verizon software (the phones just a modem, and doesn't
matter, it's just a modem to the system), give the logon stuff below a try
(if you have verizon service somewhere). The stuff belows addresses logging
you into the VZW server, for people that have phone nums/accounts with vzw..
Most anyone with a 1xrtt setup (correct drivers/software etc) can access the
inter provider network at high speed (it's not just VZW, but sprint/alltel
etc), but you have to be able to log on to the server for your provider.
Unfortunately, many people beleive the naysayers and think you can't do it.

!