Sign in with
Your question

Windows Server 2003 Group Policy?

Last response: in Windows XP
July 20, 2005 6:48:03 AM

hi,

Does anyone know how to give a user on a domain permission to read/write to their local machines? a user has a program that needs access to the machine and i don't want to give them administrative access. Is there something i can do in group policies? or Active Directory?

Thanks

JS
July 20, 2005 4:43:19 PM

Give them admin rights to the computer on the computer. Under users & groups, add their account to administrators. They'll have admin rights only to the computer.

It's under Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policy - Security Options.

You can do that at the top level GPO or on individual OUs.
July 22, 2005 5:30:50 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I've tried following your instructions but wasn't able to find the "users & groups" options to add the user details.

I'm doing this on an individual OU, under GPO Editor, i can't find Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policy - Security Options - "users & groups"

Am i looking in the wrong place? I'm using Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition SP1.
Related resources
July 22, 2005 2:17:46 PM

What GPO editor are you using? HP makes a really nice advanced configuration one that is a step high.. GPMC Group Policy Management Console I believe it's called.

If you right click on your DC in AD, you can do propertiers, then Group Policy is there. Follow previous instructions.

Now, if you have a new OU, did you add the default group policy on it, then edit it?

You can also go into Local Domain Security Policy and do it there.
July 28, 2005 9:23:07 AM

Hi,
Real sorry for the late reply. Haven't quite had the time to look into the problem.
I'm using Microsoft's GPMC Group Policy Management Console on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.
Maybe i'm missing something, but i still can't seem to find the "Users & Groups" Option user Security Options. THe closest i can find is "Accounts: Administrator account Status" which isn't what i want. I've followed you instructions closely and still haven't been able to find that option to give the user read/write access to the computer. I don't want to give her full administrative access either.

Thanks for your help so far, it's very much appreciated.
July 28, 2005 2:01:55 PM

I'm not able to check on it right now as I'm traveling for work.. but most things require a user to have administrator access on a computer. Causes a lot of problems if they don't have it..

But I recall that on my 2k3 server you can step through each level and then it'll give you a list of policies below that.

You can also check Microsoft's newgroups.. they have microsoft employees go through the forums answering questions.
!