Gigabyte Reveals 3 New Sandy Bridge Mobos

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
2xPCIe x16 @ 1x16 and 1x4? Not good, hopefully they'll have better boards available at launch, you know, for people who actually want to use SLI/Crossfire. More companies should use those open-ended x4 slots if they only wired the second slot as an x4. Sure, I can read the specs and see its only x4, but I think they're being slightly dishonest including a full-sized x16 slot that is only wired for x4.

AMW1011

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]2xPCIe x16 @ 1x16 and 1x4? Not good, hopefully they'll have better boards available at launch, you know, for people who actually want to use SLI/Crossfire. More companies should use those open-ended x4 slots if they only wired the second slot as an x4. Sure, I can read the specs and see its only x4, but I think they're being slightly dishonest including a full-sized x16 slot that is only wired for x4.[/citation]

If your really in need, I wouldn't worry about it too much, a GTX 480 is barely bottlenecked by X4:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html

That said, I would still want x8/x8. Then again, I'm sitting this one out as SB doesn't really have anything over my i5 750 for my uses, so there is no point. Epic upgrade for C2Q users though.

ares1214

Splendid
Well thats disappointing to see x16 x4 for the lanes. Oh well. I wonder where these fall in pricing and if its high, middle, low end. But i do like the black colour scheme!

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Wait 2 years......
There is no reason to upgrade every 6 months just to keep up with the market. My last computer lasted me 5 years & it still works fine.
I'm not about to toss my P6X58D-E MB /i7 980X combo to the curb yet.....

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
I thought SB was triple channel memory. No?

Also I thought all SB chips had integrated graphics, so why does only 1 of 3 of these mobos have graphics and related output connectors? Do the other two just "waste" the SB capability?

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
[citation][nom]hogan773[/nom]I thought SB was triple channel memory. No?Also I thought all SB chips had integrated graphics, so why does only 1 of 3 of these mobos have graphics and related output connectors? Do the other two just "waste" the SB capability?[/citation]

Oops my bad - I re-read the Anandtech preview and I see that the initial SB is still dual-channel RAM.

I also don't understand the following quote from the Anandtech article

"At launch we’ll have P67 and H67 based motherboards, both of which are in testing right now. A quarter later we’ll see value H61 motherboards added to the mix.

With P67 you lose integrated graphics but you gain the ability to run two PCIe x8 cards off of the CPU. You also get fully unlocked memory multipliers with P67, whereas H67 is locked to whatever official DDR3 speeds Intel supports with Sandy Bridge (currently DDR3-1333)."

Why do you have to "lose" the integrated graphics on the P67 chipset? So if I want to use the integrated graphics then I must buy the H67 mobo, but if I later change my mind and want to run 2 graphics cards, I'm out of luck because the H67 mobo only has 1 PCI 16x slot?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
... you mean SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 aren't native to this Chipset?

Severely disappointed, I expected the SATA and USB ports to be all native 3.0

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]2xPCIe x16 @ 1x16 and 1x4? Not good, hopefully they'll have better boards available at launch, you know, for people who actually want to use SLI/Crossfire.[/citation]
S1155 is the mainstream platform.

While there's likely to exist a fair few motherboards with x8/x8 or higher configurations once the platform is actually available it's worth noting that dual-GPU solutions are far from mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.