Local Area Connection Icon

Since getting some very bad and incorrect information from my ISP (Yes it is
AOL) I have suddenly got a small icon appearing in my desktop taskbar. It
looks like two monitors with a red cross through it. It says "Local Area
Connection. A Network Cable is Unplugged". I am now having NO Problems with
my PC or AOL and everything is plugged in that should be. So what is this
stupid icon for ?? I am NOT connected to a Network as nobody else has access
to my PC ?
Any help please on this icon? would be appreciated
Thanks
Peter
2 answers Last reply
More about local area connection icon

    Open up your 'Network Connections' (NOT network
    neighborhood) and find out which connection AOL told you to
    create. This is the one that is marked as "unplugged".
    Right click on it and choose Delete. Make it go away. If
    you are connected and running fine, then you don't need it.
    AOL did that to me a while ago which is why I dropped AOL.

    Hi,
    Don't delete. Do this: Click Start/Control Panel/Network and Internet
    Connections/Network Connections/LAN or High Speed Internet. Highlight Local
    Area Connection. Under Network Tasks, click Disable this network device.
    The icon goes away, and the device will be disabled.
    HTH
    dorothyg

    "Peters Problem with LAC Icon" wrote:

    > Since getting some very bad and incorrect information from my ISP (Yes it is
    > AOL) I have suddenly got a small icon appearing in my desktop taskbar. It
    > looks like two monitors with a red cross through it. It says "Local Area
    > Connection. A Network Cable is Unplugged". I am now having NO Problems with
    > my PC or AOL and everything is plugged in that should be. So what is this
    > stupid icon for ?? I am NOT connected to a Network as nobody else has access
    > to my PC ?
    > Any help please on this icon? would be appreciated
    > Thanks
    > Peter

Internet Service Providers Connection Windows XP