System Restore create duplicate files

To make a long story short, I ran system restore this afternoon to back out
of a troubled AV install. I didn't get the results I was looking for and the
old AV program was back without a working uninstall. So I backed out of that
restore, attempting to get the system back into the state it was in earlier
this afternoon. Now I find that it's riddled with duplicate files. 4700 in
the system32 directory alone. The C: drive is nearly full! This happened on
all 3 drive (OS, programs, data). I'm tempted to search them out and copy or
delete them. Is this a wise course of action at this point? What's my next
step?

Oh, I'm using XPsp2.
2 answers Last reply
More about system restore create duplicate files

    "=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBOaWNob2xzb24=?="
    <EricNicholson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >To make a long story short, I ran system restore this afternoon to back out
    >of a troubled AV install. I didn't get the results I was looking for and the
    >old AV program was back without a working uninstall. So I backed out of that
    >restore, attempting to get the system back into the state it was in earlier
    >this afternoon. Now I find that it's riddled with duplicate files. 4700 in
    >the system32 directory alone. The C: drive is nearly full! This happened on
    >all 3 drive (OS, programs, data). I'm tempted to search them out and copy or
    >delete them. Is this a wise course of action at this point? What's my next
    >step?

    Duplicate files cannot occur in a normal situation, as I understand
    it. Windows prevents it. So that suggests that either
    (a) they aren't really duplicates, perhaps they are in a different
    directory or have a subtly different name or type; or
    (b) the disk is seriously badly off.

    In the second case, make sure you have a backup NOW of everything
    important. And your software installation CDs including Windows XP and
    all serial numbers. Then try a disk scan. It might fix it, or it
    might prove beyond repair, needing a clean install.
    Aandi Inston quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

    "Aandi Inston" wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBOaWNob2xzb24=?="
    > <EricNicholson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >To make a long story short, I ran system restore this afternoon to back out
    > >of a troubled AV install. I didn't get the results I was looking for and the
    > >old AV program was back without a working uninstall. So I backed out of that
    > >restore, attempting to get the system back into the state it was in earlier
    > >this afternoon. Now I find that it's riddled with duplicate files. 4700 in
    > >the system32 directory alone. The C: drive is nearly full! This happened on
    > >all 3 drive (OS, programs, data). I'm tempted to search them out and copy or
    > >delete them. Is this a wise course of action at this point? What's my next
    > >step?
    >
    > Duplicate files cannot occur in a normal situation, as I understand
    > it. Windows prevents it. So that suggests that either
    > (a) they aren't really duplicates, perhaps they are in a different
    > directory or have a subtly different name or type; or
    > (b) the disk is seriously badly off.
    >
    > In the second case, make sure you have a backup NOW of everything
    > important. And your software installation CDs including Windows XP and
    > all serial numbers. Then try a disk scan. It might fix it, or it
    > might prove beyond repair, needing a clean install.
    > Aandi Inston quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com
    > Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.

    I should clarify: If, previously, I had a file named "stuff.txt", I would
    now have "stuff.txt" AND "stuff(2).txt". I estimate that there are roughly
    2.5Gb of these (2) files on my C: partition alone.

    Backups are not a problem. I backup my 2 computers to each other on a
    nightly basis.

    I saw in the General Discusions forum that one other person experienced this
    last Nov. and it appears that he had success with searching for *(2).* files
    and deleting them. I would take the added precaution of sorting the list by
    date and selecting only those created yesterday for deletion. I may move
    rather than delete the files if I have the disk space.

    My only concern is whether or not the registry (or something else) now
    references the duplicate files.
    -- Eric

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP