M300 Sound Card

Hi,

I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to music a
lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this to
work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?

TIA,

Karl Shaw. (UK)

Karl Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
> 12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to music a
> lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this to
> work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?
>
> TIA,
>
> Karl Shaw. (UK)

If your sound card already outputs Stereo sound (left and right), as
most do, then you won't need a new one. Most 2.1 speaker setups simply
take stereo inputs and separate the low frequencies from each channel
and send them to the subwoofer. You would only need a new card if you
were going to a 4.1 or greater setup that would require Front/Rear outputs.

--
cK

Remember, this is a notebook, the sound capability is on the mother board! I
have no idea how you would insert a 'new' sound card?

But, the other suggestion is correct. Get a 2+1 speaker system (cheap) and
you'll get great sound!

Bill

"cK-Gunslinger" <cK@nowayinhell.com> wrote in message
> Karl Shaw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
> > 12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to
music a
> > lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this
> > work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Karl Shaw. (UK)
> >

> If your sound card already outputs Stereo sound (left and right), as
> most do, then you won't need a new one. Most 2.1 speaker setups simply
> take stereo inputs and separate the low frequencies from each channel
> and send them to the subwoofer. You would only need a new card if you
> were going to a 4.1 or greater setup that would require Front/Rear
outputs.

> --
> cK

cK,

My M300 does only have a single speaker, but i have tried some old desktop
speakers on it and they work fine. Does this mean my card will support
stereo output?

Thanks for your replies,

Karl.

Karl Shaw wrote:

> cK,
>
> My M300 does only have a single speaker, but i have tried some old desktop
> speakers on it and they work fine. Does this mean my card will support
> stereo output?
>
> Thanks for your replies,
>
> Karl.

Yes. If you can plug-in a normal set of desktop speakers or some
headphones and hear sound from both left & right speakers, you are all set.

I don't know how much you were planning to spend on 2.1 speakers, but
here are some ones I can personally recommend:

$26 -
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-116-126&depa=1

$40 -
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-102&depa=1

Oops, it looks like you were only asking about sound card prices. Oh well.

--
cK

"Happy Canuck" <Happy_canuck@canada.com> wrote in message
> Remember, this is a notebook, the sound capability is on the mother board!
> have no idea how you would insert a 'new' sound card?
>
> But, the other suggestion is correct. Get a 2+1 speaker system (cheap) and
> you'll get great sound!
>
> Bill
>
> "Karl Shaw" <karlshaw4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Armada M300 P3 600Mhz, 192RAM (Soon maybe maxed out to 320Mb.)
> > 12Gb HD. I am considering buying a 2.1 Sound system as I listen to
music
> > lot. (Subwoofer and 2 Satellites) Will I need a new sound card for this
> > work? If so, what sort of price should I expect them to be?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Karl Shaw. (UK)

OK. Thanks guys. I'm looking at a Labtec Pulse 475 2.1 for £30 in PC
World. RMS = 28watts. Subwoofer = 12 watts, 2x Satellites = 8 watts. Good
deal? Or should I look elsewhere?