Your question

Improving my PC gear for Skyrim

Last response: in Video Games
December 6, 2011 11:33:49 AM

Hey everyone.

I've recently installed TESV: Skyrim on my computer. Here are my specs:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 7601) 32bits
PROCESSOR: 3,10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400
RAM: Slot 'DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number 5320442) (However only 3064 are usable)
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 210

It runs smooth with low graphics settings, lags a bit on med, and it's quite laggy on high.
What do you guys think I should change to be able to run it on High/Extreme graphic settings? As far as I know, it's only graphics what I should change to get a good gaming performance. I'm thinking of a GeForce GTS450 (My budget is 130-140€ atm)

What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance

More about : improving gear skyrim

December 6, 2011 1:36:46 PM

a gpu upgrade is definitely in order if you want to play good games.

I'm not sure of the prices but you sure you cannot squeese for at least a 460?

Also, as a side note, upgrading to 64bit OS would allow you to use the rest of your ram.
December 6, 2011 1:41:46 PM

+1 the 460. It's a previous gen card but still rather good. Alternatively, save a it longer ant get a 560Ti or 6950.

You can only use 3GB of RAM on a 32-bit system. It's also advisable to have 2 RAM sticks, as you need two to get the benefits of dual memory. So if you want a 4GB system, go for 2x2GB.
Related resources
December 6, 2011 7:33:16 PM

First of all, just like other posters said, get a better GPU; then, if possible, go with a 64-bit OS and you could go with the hack mentioned on the forums, forcing the game to use 4GB RAM instead of 2.
December 6, 2011 8:06:12 PM

ok, so I think I'm going to wait a bit more and get a 560Ti, it'll be better in the long run

about the 32bit W7 issue, I considered it when I first installed the OS but in the last moment I chose 32bits because I was told x64 has compatibility problems with the latest software so I thought it was not worth the 1024MB of RAM - I'm reconsidering it now

and about the dual slot RAM thing... I found out my RAM setup goes like this:

Slot 'DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number 5320442)
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty

so yeah i'm using a single 4gb stick while the other slot is empty... my question is, if I got another 2GB/4GB one, would I still get the benefits?

thanks for your replies!
December 6, 2011 8:54:29 PM

xRush said:
ok, so I think I'm going to wait a bit more and get a 560Ti, it'll be better in the long run

about the 32bit W7 issue, I considered it when I first installed the OS but in the last moment I chose 32bits because I was told x64 has compatibility problems with the latest software so I thought it was not worth the 1024MB of RAM - I'm reconsidering it now

and about the dual slot RAM thing... I found out my RAM setup goes like this:

Slot 'DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number 5320442)
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty

so yeah i'm using a single 4gb stick while the other slot is empty... my question is, if I got another 2GB/4GB one, would I still get the benefits?

thanks for your replies!

Not on a 32-bit OS, you won't since the OS will only address 3GB RAM. And the one who told you about the 64-bit "compatibility problems" told you wrong.
December 6, 2011 9:52:06 PM

what kind of software do you have that you're expecting to have compatibility problems with 64 bit os?
December 7, 2011 6:25:21 PM

When you add the other RAM, it should ideally be the same type (size and spec). So try and find an identical 4GB stick...shouldn't be too hard if it's relatively new.
December 9, 2011 7:52:16 AM

@AntiZig: I was more afraid of the drivers and some old applications like old Microsoft Office versions, but it seems to be no problem, at that time I just needed a stable OS for working purposes

@diellur: What's the reason why I would need an identical stick of the same size? couldn't I use a 2GB one?
December 9, 2011 11:09:15 AM

afaik, dual channel requires them to be the same sticks, as for the exact reasoning behind it, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable here can give us a wall of text on it
!