Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier -- Will it help?

duane

I just got done having to restore my laptop / XP Pro SP2 due to some system
corruption...bla, bla, bla. Anyway, I am looking for a piece of software to
maintain the integrity of the system and perform routine checks on system
health etc..

In the old MAC days Norton Systemworks saved our butts many times. They
have a new version of Systemworks for XP called Systemworks Premier. It's
feature are:
problems and protect data. This easy-to-use suite helps you eliminate
viruses, back up your files, and prevent computer problems. A new recovery
disk allows you to recover data even when Windows® won’t start up.

Key Features•One Button Checkup allows you to quickly identify and fix
common PC problems.•LiveUpdate™ automatically downloads protection updates to
defend your PC against new threats.

Norton AntiVirus™•NEW! Norton™ Internet Worm Protection blocks worms at
their attempted point of entry.•NEW! QuickScan detects and removes viruses
after new protection updates are installed.•Automatically removes viruses,
worms, and Trojan horses.•Scans and cleans instant message attachments,
incoming and outgoing email messages, and other files.•Detects spyware and
certain non-virus threats such as adware and keystroke logging programs.

Norton Utilities™•Optimizes and defragments files for faster hard drive
performance.•Detects and fixes many Windows® and disk problems automatically.

Norton GoBack™•NEW! SafeTry Mode creates a temporary environment that allows
you to test new programs and accept or reject changes to your system.•NEW!
Familiar, intuitive search bar makes it easy to find the files or folders you
want to restore.•Restores your disk drive to a previous healthy state after a
system crash, failed software installation, user error, virus attack, or
other problem.•Allows you to restore just the files or folders you need, or
an entire drive.

Norton Ghost™•NEW! “Hot imaging� lets you create backup images without
restarting Windows. (Available only on Windows® XP/2000 Pro.)•NEW!
Incremental backup updates save time and disk space. (Available only on
Windows® XP/2000 Pro.)•NEW! Scheduled backups keep the backup image up to
date. (Available only on Windows® XP/2000 Pro.)•NEW! Reboot a non-responsive
system in a Windows-based environment. Repair and rescue data on a damaged
NTFS volume.•Backs up everything on a hard drive or partition.•Works with a
wide range of hard drives and removable media.†

CheckIt® Diagnostics•NEW! Gives you a fast, thorough evaluation of your PC’s
hardware.

System Optimizer•NEW! Makes it easy to manage and customize Windows XP
settings from one simple interface.

Additional problem-solving tools•NEW! Norton Cleanup now deletes temporary
files and recently viewed Web pages in addition to other unneeded files left
over from Internet sessions.•Process Viewer displays detailed information
about Windows processes.•PerformanceTest(TM) benchmarks your computer’s
performance against similar machines.

----------------------

Has anyone had any experience with this program or suggest something else? I
did purchase Reg Mechanic and it did nothing for me during the time of the
system errors that all started when I found noen of my HP printers / drivers
would work (it gave me a system error when trying to print ---countless
posts on this community with helpful suggestions -- and many hours with good
a bad reps from HP forced me to nuke and pave the drive). Everything seems
good now. I just want a tool that I can rely on for system health. Plus....I
do like their anti-virus and spam control integrated into my Outlook 2002
program. Currently, I am using Spygate for a firewall, S&D and Adaware for
their purposes and AVG free addition for antivirus.

Thaks for any advise and / or comments!!

I have been a fan of Norton for a long while, but sadly that changed with
XP. Norton Utilities do not do half of what they used to do under win98.
For example, ZIPRescue is not supported, nor is registry compression or
defraging, nor fixing confused partitions. Norton does not even defrag
directories, pagefile, or MFT; I had to get Dskeeper for those things. The
Norton defragger for files is faster than the one that comes with XP, which
is a lite version of Diskeeper. They can check a disk and fix a file
system, but so can CHKDSK, which comes free with XP. They can find and fix
some simple registry problems.

I am running System Works verison 2003, so maybe some things have improved
in 2005.

Norton Antivirus is still very good.

GOBACK can be a powerful tool, but at the price of disk space, and posible
interferrance with some other programs. I prefer Norton GHOST: Make a
partition image before any major software upgrade or install, and also
periodically. If you have GHOST, read the manual carefully, as it is one of
the programs that can have trouble with GOBACK is GHOST.

Note that GHOST 9 is really based on Drive Image, which Symantec got when
they bought PowerQuest. Drive Image is a respectable tool. However, the
latest version (i.e., GHOST 9) is limited to make images under XP, and
recover them under XP or via a recovery CD. Personally, I think that you
might do better with Acronis True Image, which can also work under XP, DOS,
win9x, LINUX.

Live Update works well, although I did need to manually re-install it once
(for no reaosn that I could figure).

The cleanup tool is OK, but there are free ones that do as much. Try
CCleaner (note double capital Cs in name) or CleanCache.

In summary, I would buy Norton Antivirus, and given the price for just that
vs the whole Systemworks, the System Works might be worth it, just to have
things integrated into one program set.

"Duane" <Duane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> did purchase Reg Mechanic and it did nothing for me during the time of the
> system errors that all started when I found noen of my HP printers /
> drivers
> would work (it gave me a system error when trying to print ---countless
> posts on this community with helpful suggestions -- and many hours with
> good
> a bad reps from HP forced me to nuke and pave the drive). Everything seems
> good now. I just want a tool that I can rely on for system health.
> Plus....I
> do like their anti-virus and spam control integrated into my Outlook
> 2002
> program. Currently, I am using Spygate for a firewall, S&D and Adaware
> for
> their purposes and AVG free addition for antivirus.
>
> Thaks for any advise and / or comments!!

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I'm currently using it (2005 version with XP SP2) and have had very good
luck with it. There are others who have had different experiences. Based on
my experience I'll stick with Norton products.

> [...]
> did purchase Reg Mechanic and it did nothing for me during the time of the
> system errors that all started when I found noen of my HP printers /
> drivers
> would work (it gave me a system error when trying to print ---countless
> posts on this community with helpful suggestions -- and many hours with
> good
> a bad reps from HP forced me to nuke and pave the drive). Everything seems
> good now. I just want a tool that I can rely on for system health.
> Plus....I
> do like their anti-virus and spam control integrated into my Outlook
> 2002
> program. Currently, I am using Spygate for a firewall, S&D and Adaware
> for
> their purposes and AVG free addition for antivirus.
>
> Thaks for any advise and / or comments!!

I don't think that -- with the exception of a third party defragger such as
Diskeeper or PerfectDisk, and maybe a third party firewall if you are
especially vulnerable to spyware, viruses, worms, or trojan horses -- you
should use any third party utilities to replace what Windows XP does on its
own. For example, Norton Antivirus is an excellent program, but you are
better off installing it separately from Systemworks (i.e. as a standalone
program, or as part of Norton Internet Security). The chkdsk program in XP
does what Norton Disk Doctor does, and it's free. You don't need to run
Windoctor or other registry cleaners or optimizers with XP, and sometimes
these programs make mistakes that do you more harm than good. XP's Clean
Disk program, and the Add and Remove applet in Control Panel, do what
Cleansweep does, and IMO does them more safely.

Systemworks was once a good program, but it was designed primarily for prior
versions of Windows. The same is true for other utility suites, such as
Registry Mechanic. The most important and essential features of these
programs are now built into XP.

If you really want better performance and stability, make sure you have a
computer with a fast CPU and plenty of memory, and defrag your hard disk
regularly. Regularly use Event Viewer (part of XP) to detect any errors or
problems, and fix them one by one using the help and support feature that is
part of that program.

"Duane" wrote:

> [...]
> performance against similar machines.
>
> ----------------------
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this program or suggest something else? I
> did purchase Reg Mechanic and it did nothing for me during the time of the
> system errors that all started when I found noen of my HP printers / drivers
> would work (it gave me a system error when trying to print ---countless
> posts on this community with helpful suggestions -- and many hours with good
> a bad reps from HP forced me to nuke and pave the drive). Everything seems
> good now. I just want a tool that I can rely on for system health. Plus....I
> do like their anti-virus and spam control integrated into my Outlook 2002
> program. Currently, I am using Spygate for a firewall, S&D and Adaware for
> their purposes and AVG free addition for antivirus.
>
> Thaks for any advise and / or comments!!

Hi, Duane.

I agree with Ken Gardner.

I used Norton Utilities from the mid-80's, when Peter Norton actually wrote
them, until about 2000. In the '90s, Symantec bought the utilities and
began to emphasize marketing more than utility. For example, they never
bothered to update DiskEdit (which saved me many times, and taught me how
the file system worked) to work with NTFS, but just let it limp along until
it died of atrophy. Instead, Symantec loaded the "utilities" down with
fluff and eye candy. By the time Win2K arrived, SystemWorks was more
trouble than it was worth.

WinXP is built on the NT platform, not MS-DOS; it uses NTFS, not FAT. I no
longer suffer the kinds of disk and Registry problems that I often had in
Win3.x and Win9x (never used WinME), so I no longer need the tools in
SystemWorks. WinXP's built-in defragger is adequate; I used it until I got
a good deal on PerfectDisk, which I use now.

The only Norton product that I still use is NIS, Norton Internet Security,
which bundles NAV and NPF, plus the new Norton Antispam. Their Antivirus
has always been one of the best, and their Personal Firewall is good,
although it took a couple of versions for them to get it right. NAS is of
some value; I wouldn't buy it standalone, but it enhances the NIS package a
little.

We see plenty of Symantec bashers, of course, and I won't argue with them.
They've had their experiences with Norton; I've had mine. Using NAV - and
practicing "safe hex" - I've never had a virus (yet). I'm not promoting
NIS, but it does the job for me, so I'll keep using it until I find
something that I like better. But I don't have or need SystemWorks.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Duane" <Duane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got done having to restore my laptop / XP Pro SP2 due to some system
> corruption...bla, bla, bla. Anyway, I am looking for a piece of software
> maintain the integrity of the system and perform routine checks on system
> health etc..
>
> In the old MAC days Norton Systemworks saved our butts many times. They
> have a new version of Systemworks for XP called Systemworks Premier. It's
> feature are:

<SNIPped Symantec's sales pitch>

> Has anyone had any experience with this program or suggest something else?
> did purchase Reg Mechanic and it did nothing for me during the time of the
> system errors that all started when I found noen of my HP printers /
> drivers
> would work (it gave me a system error when trying to print ---countless
> posts on this community with helpful suggestions -- and many hours with
> good
> a bad reps from HP forced me to nuke and pave the drive). Everything seems
> good now. I just want a tool that I can rely on for system health.
> Plus....I
> do like their anti-virus and spam control integrated into my Outlook
> 2002
> program. Currently, I am using Spygate for a firewall, S&D and Adaware
> for
> their purposes and AVG free addition for antivirus.
>
> Thaks for any advise and / or comments!!

It looks like we have had almost identical experiences with Norton and
Symantec. :) Incidentally, I won't bash Symantec either. Their software
isn't as good as it used to be, but it is still very good -- especially NAV.
Systemworks had its heyday in the days of Windows 9x and Me, but IMO has
become obsolete with the onset of Windows 2000 and especially XP. The same
is true of the other utility suites I know of, such as Registry Mechanic and
SystemSuite. Even at their best, you spend much more time running these
programs to solve non-existent or insignificant problems then you will ever
lose by running XP without them.

My attitude about them might change if, in additon, they offered some
objectively verifiable method for measuring any improvements in performance
or stability as a result of these programs. For example, the Diskeeper
defragger includes a tool that tells you how much faster you can access
defragged files on your hard drive. Systemworks and other such utilities
have no such tools, and Systemworks itself is a resource and memory hog that
impacts performance on some computers.

TRENDING THREADS