Sign in with
Your question

Any hope for Episode 3 in 2012?

Last response: in Video Games
December 6, 2011 5:23:41 PM

We are on the brink of a new year, and I was just wondering if we will indeed have to face another year without the conclusion to the Half Life 2...

More about : hope episode 2012

December 6, 2011 7:51:32 PM

PCgamer81 said:
We are on the brink of a new year, and I was just wondering if we will indeed have to face another year without the conclusion to the Half Life 2...

My guess is no, it won't be released......since game releases tend to be announced long before they come out, and there hasn't been a peep about it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is slated for release next year, so as long as that actually goes through I'll be very, very happy.
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:14:23 PM

Stringjam said:
My guess is no, it won't be released......since game releases tend to be announced long before they come out, and there hasn't been a peep about it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is slated for release next year, so as long as that actually goes through I'll be very, very happy.

Wanna hear a total blasphemy?

I got STALKER SOC and STALKER COP and haven't put more than 2 hours into either - in fact, I haven't even played the latter at all. Bought 'em both on Steam a long time ago on sale. Never had time for 'em. Installed the 2009 mod hoping it would get me going for it, but nada. Just hasn't done anything for me as of yet.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2011 8:33:28 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Wanna hear a total blasphemy?

I got STALKER SOC and STALKER COP and haven't put more than 2 hours into either - in fact, I haven't even played the latter at all. Bought 'em both on Steam a long time ago on sale. Never had time for 'em. Installed the 2009 mod hoping it would get me going for it, but nada. Just hasn't done anything for me as of yet.

I can understand that.....for whatever intangible reason, someone can be totally drawn into a certain game and another person may just not get it at all.

I didn't even finish HL2 (there, I said it.....some definite blasphemy! ;)  ) I liked the game, but kind of grew apathetic about 3/4 of the way though.....it just didn't connect with me. STALKER (both CoP and SoC) I could barely put down. Different strokes.

Another game that EVERYBODY hates and I absolutely loved was FarCry2. I spent 45 hours getting through the campaign and I was disappointed to see it end. I totally got into that game.
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:02:12 PM

Stringjam said:
I can understand that.....for whatever intangible reason, someone can be totally drawn into a certain game and another person may just not get it at all.

I didn't even finish HL2 (there, I said it.....some definite blasphemy! ;)  ) I liked the game, but kind of grew apathetic about 3/4 of the way though.....it just didn't connect with me. STALKER (both CoP and SoC) I could barely put down. Different strokes.

Another game that EVERYBODY hates and I absolutely loved was FarCry2. I spent 45 hours getting through the campaign and I was disappointed to see it end. I totally got into that game.

You know, oddly enough, I did not dislike STALKER. I use the word oddly, because normally if I don't flatout dislike a game, I at least give it a go after I spend money on it.

The reason STALKER is different, is due to the fact that...well, it is just a little to difficult for my tastes. Now, before I come across sounding like a total puss, let me clarify something: I don't mind a challenge. But to me, well, STALKER seemed kind of unfair. I mean, when I line an enemy up in my xhairs and pull the trigger - bam, headshot - and he doesn't go down, and then turns around and wastes me with a pistol at 100 meters - bam, just like that - I gotta call bulls**t on that and go play something else. No offense, you seem like a nice guy - just being honest! :D 
m
l
December 7, 2011 12:41:22 AM

PCgamer81 said:
You know, oddly enough, I did not dislike STALKER. I use the word oddly, because normally if I don't flatout dislike a game, I at least give it a go after I spend money on it.

The reason STALKER is different, is due to the fact that...well, it is just a little to difficult for my tastes. Now, before I come across sounding like a total puss, let me clarify something: I don't mind a challenge. But to me, well, STALKER seemed kind of unfair. I mean, when I line an enemy up in my xhairs and pull the trigger - bam, headshot - and he doesn't go down, and then turns around and wastes me with a pistol at 100 meters - bam, just like that - I gotta call bulls**t on that and go play something else. No offense, you seem like a nice guy - just being honest! :D 

Hmmm.....I don't remember that being a problem, but I think that was an issue that the Complete Mod may have taken care of with both games (more realistic hit damage). I loaded up SoC the other day and I was taking down most NPC's with my iron-sighted AK with one or two shots.

Wait...I may also have the "Realistic Weapons" mod going on too.....I forget....I throw mods on these games and forget what I have going on. ;) 

One thing for sure about S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it really puts you on edge....especially in building structures. NPC's have a habit of sneaking around corners and coming up behind you....and they fire very quickly. :) 
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:03:20 AM

Stringjam said:
Hmmm.....I don't remember that being a problem, but I think that was an issue that the Complete Mod may have taken care of with both games (more realistic hit damage). I loaded up SoC the other day and I was taking down most NPC's with my iron-sighted AK with one or two shots.

Wait...I may also have the "Realistic Weapons" mod going on too.....I forget....I throw mods on these games and forget what I have going on. ;) 

One thing for sure about S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it really puts you on edge....especially in building structures. NPC's have a habit of sneaking around corners and coming up behind you....and they fire very quickly. :) 

It sounds cool.

I may give it another go sometime, who knows.
m
l
December 7, 2011 5:56:18 AM

Back on topic...

I predict Ep3 will never get made. Valve are either working on a full-blown sequel, or they are making so much money out of Steam that they decided to stop making games altogether, aside from the odd little side project every once in a while.

As you can tell I'm not optimistic.
m
l
December 7, 2011 5:25:44 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Back on topic...

I predict Ep3 will never get made. Valve are either working on a full-blown sequel, or they are making so much money out of Steam that they decided to stop making games altogether, aside from the odd little side project every once in a while.

As you can tell I'm not optimistic.

I wish they would at least contract it out - like their console ports. Using the Source engine there are no doubt some young developers that would make one hell of a Half Life game.
m
l
December 8, 2011 12:09:34 PM

I'm leaning towards "valve trolling"
they are probably planing to work on it, but if they already were there'd be much more hype around the issue
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:27:36 PM

Yeah, their "smaller episodes, but more frequent releases" plan really didn't pan out. It seems the success of Steam may have had something to do with that.

I LOVED HL2 + episodes. One the best experiences in gaming imo. One of the few stories to emotionally attach me to the characters. The thing is that I didn't realize how much so until the end of Ep2. Not going to give away any spoilers, but that ending was one of the more powerful endings in any video game I've ever played. The story must continue!!! But I, as well as others, have lost hope. Sad to say, but it would be more of a surprise to me if it was released than if it never is released.
m
l
December 8, 2011 4:26:16 PM

heids24 said:
Yeah, their "smaller episodes, but more frequent releases" plan really didn't pan out. It seems the success of Steam may have had something to do with that.

I LOVED HL2 + episodes. One the best experiences in gaming imo. One of the few stories to emotionally attach me to the characters. The thing is that I didn't realize how much so until the end of Ep2. Not going to give away any spoilers, but that ending was one of the more powerful endings in any video game I've ever played. The story must continue!!! But I, as well as others, have lost hope. Sad to say, but it would be more of a surprise to me if it was released than if it never is released.

I really don't like hearing that. I have not given up hope, yet. I would want nothing more than a 2012 Episode 3 release, followed by Half Life 3 ushering in the next generation of gaming in 2013 - much like the big three did in '04 (Far Cry, Doom 3, and Half Life 2).
m
l
December 8, 2011 4:47:54 PM

It'll get made. When? probably within the next 4 years...

Valve have to take several facts into consideration. Ep 1 & 2 were done on the older engine...which wouldn't impress anyone today. They also have to compete with the big COD (and now BF) monsters of the industry. Noticed how Valve will simply choose not to compete with them? The counterstrike players are all COD players now and the market has shifted since Ep 2. I'm not Valve's CEO so I can't tell you what they're thinking but it probably goes along the lines of "we'll release it when we feel it's time to release it". My guess is that within 3-4 years, the time will be right (let the COD fume evaporate before going forward).

They haven't stopped making games (i.e. Portal series) but the company has shifted a big portion of their business model towards Steam (which is now a much bigger revenue stream than game development). That's all.

Call me crazy but I believe Valve could be a big competitor to Activision in gaining on Online military shooters. Just imagine how Valve's version of COD (would be CS) be. It would take a huge investment but the return could be outstanding.

SP: Would be Episode 3 (or whatever they call it).
Coop: given Valve's experience in coop games (L4D, Portal, etc.), i'm sure they'd be able to create a solid COOP experience.
MP: They created counterstrike. I'm sure they could developpe something solid (perhaps surpassing COD ???).

Only thing is...Valve need a Engine Upgrade!
m
l
December 8, 2011 5:56:11 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
It'll get made. When? probably within the next 4 years...

Valve have to take several facts into consideration. Ep 1 & 2 were done on the older engine...which wouldn't impress anyone today. They also have to compete with the big COD (and now BF) monsters of the industry. Noticed how Valve will simply choose not to compete with them? The counterstrike players are all COD players now and the market has shifted since Ep 2. I'm not Valve's CEO so I can't tell you what they're thinking but it probably goes along the lines of "we'll release it when we feel it's time to release it". My guess is that within 3-4 years, the time will be right (let the COD fume evaporate before going forward).

They haven't stopped making games (i.e. Portal series) but the company has shifted a big portion of their business model towards Steam (which is now a much bigger revenue stream than game development). That's all.

Call me crazy but I believe Valve could be a big competitor to Activision in gaining on Online military shooters. Just imagine how Valve's version of COD (would be CS) be. It would take a huge investment but the return could be outstanding.

SP: Would be Episode 3 (or whatever they call it).
Coop: given Valve's experience in coop games (L4D, Portal, etc.), i'm sure they'd be able to create a solid COOP experience.
MP: They created counterstrike. I'm sure they could developpe something solid (perhaps surpassing COD ???).

Only thing is...Valve need a Engine Upgrade!

Why not contract Episode 3 out? It would make so much sense for Valve to contract it out, rather than just sit there with there finger up there butt - don't get me wrong, I love Valve with all my heart. Steam is wonderful, Valve is wonderful - love 'em. But seriously, 3rd party developers such as Sierra and EA have already more than proven their competence with the source engine.
m
l
December 8, 2011 6:32:53 PM

My Idea, is there working on it with a New engine (thats why It's taken so Long) and there keeping it very secretive becasue they don't want another Huge Leak

Half Life 2 Had a Huge Leak and they changed the whole story line which delayed the game for a long time

I bet thats what there doing so they don't have to deal with that crap.

Thats my Idea and Opinion

-Mithness
m
l
December 8, 2011 6:38:26 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Why not contract Episode 3 out? It would make so much sense for Valve to contract it out, rather than just sit there with there finger up there butt - don't get me wrong, I love Valve with all my heart. Steam is wonderful, Valve is wonderful - love 'em. But seriously, 3rd party developers such as Sierra and EA have already more than proven their competence with the source engine.

did you even bother to read the post you quoted? valve doesn't have a competency problem with making the game, they are looking for the right time to do so.

on the side note, last time I checked EA is not a dev but a publisher
m
l
December 8, 2011 6:54:15 PM

I don't see HL3 having to compete with COD or BF, since both games are MP-centric and Half-Life is all about providing a single-player experience.

They're releasing Counter-Strike:GO which is more a direct competition to those games, although I'm sure it won't. The game is still an old-school type of FPS (crosshair aiming, hip shooting), and the CS fan-base would cause a huge uproar if they ever updated the game mechanics. Newer FPS players have gotten used to playing MP's with far more realistic shooting mechanics (no crosshairs, iron-sights, reflex and assault optics). They're really two completely different types of games, which is why you always see so many CS guys ripping on the BF/COD players and vice versa.

I don't rip on either......I just play the style of game I'm in the mood for. If I want to play something that feels realistic and immersive, I'll play BF3. If I want to play a fast, speed / reflex intensive game I'll play something like CS (or in my case, Crysis Wars). Both styles are fun, IMO.

If VALVE really is spending its time and resources developing a new engine, I would think HL3 would be a perfect vehicle to debut it.
m
l
December 8, 2011 7:11:26 PM

AntiZig said:
did you even bother to read the post you quoted?
Uh, yes. I read it just like I read yours. I responded accordingly with a question of my own.
AntiZig said:
valve doesn't have a competency problem with making the game, they are looking for the right time to do so.
(Citation needed)
AntiZig said:
on the side note, last time I checked EA is not a dev but a publisher
*Facepalm* EA has a UK based development team that handled the Orange Box for the PS3.
m
l
December 8, 2011 7:18:26 PM

Stringjam said:
I don't see HL3 having to compete with COD or BF, since both games are MP-centric and Half-Life is all about providing a single-player experience.

They're releasing Counter-Strike:GO which is more a direct competition to those games, although I'm sure it won't. The game is still an old-school type of FPS (crosshair aiming, hip shooting), and the CS fan-base would cause a huge uproar if they ever updated the game mechanics. Newer FPS players have gotten used to playing MP's with far more realistic shooting mechanics (no crosshairs, iron-sights, reflex and assault optics). They're really two completely different types of games, which is why you always see so many CS guys ripping on the BF/COD players and vice versa.

I don't rip on either......I just play the style of game I'm in the mood for. If I want to play something that feels realistic and immersive, I'll play BF3. If I want to play a fast, speed / reflex intensive game I'll play something like CS (or in my case, Crysis Wars). Both styles are fun, IMO.

If VALVE really is spending its time and resources developing a new engine, I would think HL3 would be a perfect vehicle to debut it.

I get goosebumps when I think about Half Life 3 in a new engine.

I would really wouldn't mind one more Half Life 2 episode first, though.
m
l
December 9, 2011 11:47:06 AM

PCgamer81 said:
I get goosebumps when I think about Half Life 3 in a new engine.

I would really wouldn't mind one more Half Life 2 episode first, though.

They might create an entirely new engine but I don't think they would...

Look at COD's engine. It's the same engine they've been using but they upgraded the crap out of it on every title. It's originally an Unreal Engine...modded to become the great COD engine we all know.

Valve only needs to upgrade "the crap out of it" to make it as good (if not better) than the current engines on the market (which is a tough task for any company).
m
l
December 9, 2011 4:57:40 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
They could just be waiting to see what happens on December 22nd 2012 before investing time and resources into a whole new game.

Just sayin' ;) 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:01:20 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
They might create an entirely new engine but I don't think they would...

Look at COD's engine. It's the same engine they've been using but they upgraded the crap out of it on every title. It's originally an Unreal Engine...modded to become the great COD engine we all know.

Valve only needs to upgrade "the crap out of it" to make it as good (if not better) than the current engines on the market (which is a tough task for any company).

And I would be perfectly fine with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And the Source engine definitely ain't broke. It is still an absolute blast to play, and I would love another Half Life 2 game before the world ends on December 22!!! :) 
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:04:00 PM

what's slated for that date?

edit: ah, nvm. although last time I checked I think guild wars 2 was slated for late december release
m
l
December 9, 2011 6:16:57 PM

AntiZig said:
what's slated for that date?

edit: ah, nvm. although last time I checked I think guild wars 2 was slated for late december release

Oh, it's just a joke man. For years people have been saying the world will end on December 22, 2012 because the Mayan calender runs out after that date.
m
l
December 9, 2011 8:19:51 PM

mm but what about that guys that said world was gonna end last year? is there any hope for him? :D 
m
l
December 9, 2011 10:25:48 PM

AntiZig said:
mm but what about that guys that said world was gonna end last year? is there any hope for him? :D 

:lol: 

Nope!
m
l
December 14, 2011 9:52:18 AM

Awesome find if legit...
m
l
December 14, 2011 11:50:02 AM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
They also have to compete with the big COD (and now BF) monsters of the industry. Noticed how Valve will simply choose not to compete with them? The counterstrike players are all COD players now and the market has shifted since Ep 2. I'm not Valve's CEO so I can't tell you what they're thinking but it probably goes along the lines of "we'll release it when we feel it's time to release it". My guess is that within 3-4 years, the time will be right (let the COD fume evaporate before going forward).

Valve do compete with them just not directly.
Valve have TF2 and CS:S on the competitive front and L4D series and Alien Swarm on the casual side.

Valves market and following are completely different to BF or CoD.
The Counterstrike series are designed for competitive play. You get shot your injured for the rest of the round.
TF2 was designed as a casual team based multiplayer with each class having a specific roll, each with direct counter classes. After a while it got its own competitive following which Valve helped shape and cater for.

With a Valve title you buy the game and know its going to be supported for a long time and receive updates.
CS:S was released in 2004 and is still getting regular updates. TF2 damn that game has had more content added then a little, all of it free then to top it off Valve made it F2P.

Look at the stats on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

In the top 10 alone Valves multiplayer games have about 3 times as many players as CoD:MW3 Multiplayer. Its not that there not competiving with CoD or BF its just there doing in on there own terms.

As for EP3 I honestly wouldn't like to say Gabe said they where stepping away from the Episode format. So it might never exist as HL2 EP3 jumping straight to HL3.
m
l
December 14, 2011 2:13:16 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Awesome find if legit...

If I am not mistaken you upgraded your rig.

Awesome. ;) 
m
l
December 14, 2011 3:59:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I had the 9800GTX die on me. So it was a forced upgrade, but welcome nonetheless.

That's a significant upgrade. The 6850 is a great mid-range card, and a lot of bang for your buck. You will be able to play any current game at high visual quality, experience DX11, and have the the ability to support much better resolutions.

In fact, I almost went with the 6850 - it was really all I needed. The reason I chose the 6970 was because I got Dirt 3 free with it, which I was going to get it anyway. As it turns out, I now hear some 6850's come with Dirt 3, as well.

You are set now.
m
l
December 14, 2011 7:17:28 PM

Quote:
It's a great card, can't argue with that. The MSI Cyclone cooler is AWESOME.

I bet you are already doing some serious overclocking. My 6970 runs pretty hot (Sapphire), so I can't increase more that 50MHz Core and Memory - but I bet you can really push the 6850.

Yep, the 6850 is a great card and plenty for today's needs as it is. But just think, if you ever decide to go xfire with that thing, you will be be in the "maxing Battlefield 3 in full HD with AA" territory...
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:40:34 PM

Quote:
I haven't OC'd it as yet, it comes with a pretty decent factory overclock already. 860/1100 vs 775/1000 stock.

Your core clock is about as fast as my 6970 and you memory clock isn't too far off.

Great bang for you buck.
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:46:48 PM

If you two are going to remain off topic, please start using PM's.
m
l
December 15, 2011 5:42:14 PM

joedastudd said:
In the top 10 alone Valves multiplayer games have about 3 times as many players as CoD:MW3 Multiplayer. Its not that there not competiving with CoD or BF its just there doing in on there own terms.

On the Steam platform, perhaps. But if you throw consoles in the mix then it's a completely different ball game.

Valve games haven't translated very well to consoles which is where their gameplay mechanics show weakness. I'm a PC Gamer for life but lets face it, they would make a lot more bang for the buck if they upgraded their engine/mechanics to better serve the console market. I really thought they would improve this with the new CS:GO but from what I heard of the Beta, it's not translating very well...which brings me back to "They need an engine upgrade"...mechanically and visually.
m
l
December 15, 2011 5:43:59 PM

Quote:
I was just commenting on his PC.

Sorry if you are bothered by that, but people chat about all kinds of stuff on these forums. I mean, go to any forum and you will see people being people.

No need to police what people talk about, that isn't really your job - I don't see "moderator" under your name.

No offense.

How 'bout I ask you to take it to PM's then?
m
l
December 15, 2011 6:22:45 PM

Quote:
Is an OP not allowed to go off topic on his own thread?

We'd rather they didn't.
m
l
December 15, 2011 6:33:44 PM

Mousemonkey said:
How 'bout I ask you to take it to PM's then?

That's fine, but you have a lot of work to do.

I see people here doing that a lot.

Chop, chop!

Half Life 2: Episode 3 is going to be awesome!
m
l
December 15, 2011 6:41:45 PM

Quote:
Is an OP not allowed to go off topic on his own thread?

Some people have nothing better to do than be a bunch of technicality prudes. When they were kids, they were the type to raise their little hand and tattle on people like me for being cool. I got even with them after school, and I guess these children are now trying to get even with the world by having some kind of say on matters that are of no consequence.

Fine, I say. I will let the children have there fun.

Half Life 2: Episode 3 is going to be so awesome, I hope it gets released in 2012!
m
l
December 15, 2011 6:49:07 PM

I consider it proper netiquette. Some people are actually trying to follow the topic only to be drawn in and find out it's not the information they wanted or expected.

If you think that's cool, so be it.
m
l
December 15, 2011 6:50:49 PM

PCgamer81 said:
That's fine, but you have a lot of work to do.

I see people here doing that a lot.

Chop, chop!

Half Life 2: Episode 3 is going to be awesome!

I might just start by deleting this and any other thread you've started then.
m
l
December 15, 2011 8:08:49 PM

K, I think everyone gets the point... Let's not turn this into a big hoohah. I'd prefer we all stay on a friendly footing. Deleting all non-relevant posts.
m
l
December 15, 2011 8:26:17 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I might just start by deleting this and any other thread you've started then.

Are you seriously going to delete the threads I started? Or are you just giving me a warning?

Half Life 2: Episode 3 is going to be a world shaker!
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:59:10 AM

I found this thread to be both informative and hilarious.

OT: I've been foaming at the mouth with anticipation of HL(e)3 and/or Black Mesa (mod) for years now. Somethings gotta give, man!
m
l
December 16, 2011 5:06:15 AM

kufan64 said:
I found this thread to be both informative and hilarious.

OT: I've been foaming at the mouth with anticipation of HL(e)3 and/or Black Mesa (mod) for years now. Somethings gotta give, man!

You mean to tell me that there isn't a Half Life 2: Black Mesa edition floating somewhere around the enormous Half Life 2 modding community?

Half Life 2: Episode 3 is going to usher in world peace!
m
l
!