Viper

I had to reinstall (overwrite) windows xp pro because there were some system
problems. After the reinstall I updated everything and installed all my
programs only to find myself not able to access the old documents left over
from previous install. It gave me access denied error message.

How can I delete my previous document without going through the installation
hassle again? (I tried logging on to administrator and delete it but no use.)

Thanx!

Hi, Viper.

I see Taurarian has helped you with your "access denied" problem. But I
wanted to be sure you know about the option to do an "in-place upgrade" next
time, rather than a full reinstallation of WinXP. The in-place upgrade,
also known as a repair install, will completely reinstall WinXP itself, but
preserve your installed applications and data.

For details, see this KB article:
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

Or see MVP Michael Stevens' version of the same instructions:

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"viper" <viper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reinstall (overwrite) windows xp pro because there were some
>system
> problems. After the reinstall I updated everything and installed all my
> programs only to find myself not able to access the old documents left
> over
> from previous install. It gave me access denied error message.
>
> How can I delete my previous document without going through the
> installation
> hassle again? (I tried logging on to administrator and delete it but no
> use.)
>
> Thanx!

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

"viper" <viper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reinstall (overwrite) windows xp pro because there were some system
> problems. After the reinstall I updated everything and installed all my
> programs only to find myself not able to access the old documents left over
> from previous install. It gave me access denied error message.
>
> How can I delete my previous document without going through the installation
> hassle again? (I tried logging on to administrator and delete it but no use.)
>
> Thanx!

Viper

Thanks Taurarian!