G

Hey guys, just finished building my system. It's an Athlon XP 1800 and Im running XP Pro. Can someone tell me the proper temp of the Athlon and what is too hot? Also how can I check this?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Anything under 60C is fine as long as it doesn't crash. I recommend getting it under 50C though to ensure no problems. You really should be able to get your system into the 40's if you have picked good components.

Use <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A> to check your temps.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

HarleyMYK

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
AMD says under 95C. Everyone on this board likes it cooler.

Old enough to remember when sex was safe and a personal computer was a slide rule :wink:

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
i have an xp 1900 running overclocked at 1680 and mine runs around 40C idle and about 44 gaming

not overclocked mine runs at 37C idle and 41 gaming...a good case with airflow is crucial!! never go easy on cases...i have a server case from antec with four case fans with the swiftech 462 hsf...try some artic silver II thermal paste on your cpu also ...good luck man

dhlucke

Polypheme
Unless someone shows me otherwise, I believe that 95C is either the temperature where the CPU melts, or the temperature where it is permenently ruined.

Logically speaking you do not want your CPU running at the boiling temperature of water.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
actually, AMD says the limit is 90*C, and that is for the internal core temperature, which you cant actually monitor, unless you have some amazing new way to get a thermal probe inside the core, without killing it.
around 60*C, almost everyone will start to notice stability issues, or something dying.
btw, 90*C is too hot to touch with your bare hands...and if the motherboard or monitoring software that you are checking the temps with is reporting 90*C, then you really have a BIG problem, because you will be very close to killing the thing.
and if the ceramic package, or the "organic" package that holds the core is at 90*C, then the core is WAY higher, and would most likely not be running anymore.
so you would either be having a problem with your monitoring program, or you have an extremely heat tolerant processor, which i really doubt.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
My Gigabyte GA-7VTXH runs at about 48 degrees if it's been up for quite awhile. That seems to be the high point. The system information viewer that comes with it, says that's a fine temp. It seems to run at 44 or 45 for awhile, then maxes at 48.

I've got 2 case fans in it now blowing out, one of these days, i may pick up one more, to blow in from the front. That may drop it a few more degrees. I've got the workstation tower from antec. Pretty good amount of room in it for air flow.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have a A7V/133 with the AMD 1400,I have fan in the front bottom of the case, one in the top back, a Turbine in the slot and can only keep mine down to 56c on a idle.I beleive if my case was 6" taller it would help. The 800 AMD on the A7v mobo Idles at 46c.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I have a really cheap case, it came with a crappy power supply which blew up after 2 days. My temp on K7 Master Athlon 1.2 running at 1.43 is 35 degrees.

I used to have temps in the 50's (however that was in the summer).

I have a cheap coolermaster heatsink but I've replaced the 3000 rpm fan with a 6000+ rpm fan, also I have a BIG fan at the back pushing air out and a normal case fan at the front pulling air in.

My advice is this. Tuck all your IDE cables and power cables away clear out of the centre of the case. My case is not big and I find it runs really cool, becasue the distance between the front and rear fans is short and therefore there is a guaranteed circulation of cool/er air, as soon as it's in the case, it's out again.

I use Actic silver 2. Anyway keeping your PC cool requires combination of things, I would say, one fan in the front pulling air in, 1 double strength (or 2 normal fans) pushing air out of the back. Good heatsink (preferably copper or silver) with arctic silver 2 decent fan for the heatsink, clear path for the air from front to back.

As some people have said already, airflow is important. To me, airflow is the most important thing, to be honest, the thing which really brought my temp down the most was when I replaced the rear normal case fan with the biggest case fan I could get I think it's 120mm.

You can do it, good luck.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
You are right, I have a enlight case and the ambient temp is high in the case.I Have three fans pushing in and pulling out. One day I took the side off the case and blew my floor fan into the case and dropped the temp. 11 degrees. Right now I'm running 138 F. I plan to dimantle this sysyem I just built and give it a over haul. the first thing is to relace the Asus A7v133 mobo with a MST K7T266 pro 2 or a Ecs K7VTA3. Get a better heat sink and fan and a larger case. I am not happy with some issues with asus board. Thanks Bruce