Why can't I reinstall windows?

I'm trying to reinstall windows, however when I load the re-installation cd,
it says that there is a newer version on my computer than what there is on
the disk? How is that so and how can I change that? Thanks!

If you installed SP2, then your original Windows XP CD is
now obsolete and you'll have to do one of the following:

1. Uninstall SP2

or

2. Make a new Windows XP CD with SP2 (recommended)

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch