Unable to access "Change the way users log on and log off"

Hi,

I get an error message that "a recently installed program has disabled the
Welcome Screen and Fast User switching. File name msGina.dll"

Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how to remove it?

Thanks,
milpool
4 answers Last reply
More about unable access change users

    Hi Milpool,

    Do you have any idea what was installed to cause this error?
    Here are a few KB Articles that may help in the mean time.

    "Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load" error message
    after you install the MS04-003 security update
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836683

    A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739

    The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start
    the Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    milpool wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I get an error message that "a recently installed program
    > has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User switching.
    > File name msGina.dll"
    >
    > Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how
    > to remove it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > milpool

    Bert,

    Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, what caused the problem was Cisco
    Systems VPN Dialer program.
    I just needed to perform a quick registry edit and that solved the problem.
    Here is a link (for anyone else that runs into this problem):
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ginadll.htm

    Thanks again for your help.

    milpool

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Milpool,
    >
    > Do you have any idea what was installed to cause this error?
    > Here are a few KB Articles that may help in the mean time.
    >
    > "Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load" error message
    > after you install the MS04-003 security update
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836683
    >
    > A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739
    >
    > The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start
    > the Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > milpool wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I get an error message that "a recently installed program
    > > has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User switching.
    > > File name msGina.dll"
    > >
    > > Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how
    > > to remove it?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > milpool

    Hi milpool,

    There are various third-party applications (Symantec's PCAnywhere and Ci­sco
    VPN client, to name a couple) that replace XP's logon.
    Try d/loading and running Doug Knox's XP_FixLogon.exe to restore the Welcome
    screen and Fast User Switching:
    http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "milpool" <milpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I get an error message that "a recently installed program has disabled the
    > Welcome Screen and Fast User switching. File name msGina.dll"
    >
    > Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how to remove it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > milpool

    Hi,

    I came across this while look at the error.
    You Cannot Use Fast User Switching After You Install Cisco Systems VPN
    Dialer Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829715

    Glad to see you have the problem resolved.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    milpool wrote:
    > Bert,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, what caused the
    > problem was Cisco Systems VPN Dialer program.
    > I just needed to perform a quick registry edit and that
    > solved the problem. Here is a link (for anyone else that
    > runs into this problem):
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ginadll.htm
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > milpool
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Milpool,
    >>
    >> Do you have any idea what was installed to cause this
    >> error?
    >> Here are a few KB Articles that may help in the mean
    >> time.
    >>
    >> "Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load"
    >> error message after you install the MS04-003 security
    >> update
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836683
    >>
    >> A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User
    >> Switching Feature
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739
    >>
    >> The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear
    >> When You Start the Computer
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> milpool wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I get an error message that "a recently installed
    >>> program has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User
    >>> switching. File name msGina.dll"
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how
    >>> to remove it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> milpool

Microsoft Error Message Windows XP