Unable to access "Change the way users log on and log off"

January 31, 2005 2:43:01 PM

Hi,

I get an error message that "a recently installed program has disabled the
Welcome Screen and Fast User switching. File name msGina.dll"

Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how to remove it?

Thanks,
milpool
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:15:59 PM

Hi Milpool,

Do you have any idea what was installed to cause this error?
Here are a few KB Articles that may help in the mean time.

"Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load" error message
after you install the MS04-003 security update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836683

A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739

The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start
the Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

milpool wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get an error message that "a recently installed program
> has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User switching.
> File name msGina.dll"
>
> Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how
> to remove it?
>
> Thanks,
> milpool
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:16:00 PM

Bert,

Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, what caused the problem was Cisco
Systems VPN Dialer program.
I just needed to perform a quick registry edit and that solved the problem.
Here is a link (for anyone else that runs into this problem):
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ginadll.htm

Thanks again for your help.

milpool

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Milpool,
>
> Do you have any idea what was installed to cause this error?
> Here are a few KB Articles that may help in the mean time.
>
> "Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load" error message
> after you install the MS04-003 security update
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836683
>
> A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739
>
> The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start
> the Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> milpool wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get an error message that "a recently installed program
> > has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User switching.
> > File name msGina.dll"
> >
> > Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how
> > to remove it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > milpool

January 31, 2005 7:19:33 PM

Hi milpool,

There are various third-party applications (Symantec's PCAnywhere and Ci­sco
VPN client, to name a couple) that replace XP's logon.
Try d/loading and running Doug Knox's XP_FixLogon.exe to restore the Welcome
screen and Fast User Switching:
http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"milpool" <milpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I get an error message that "a recently installed program has disabled the
> Welcome Screen and Fast User switching. File name msGina.dll"
>
> Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how to remove it?
>
> Thanks,
> milpool
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:41:13 PM

Hi,

I came across this while look at the error.
You Cannot Use Fast User Switching After You Install Cisco Systems VPN
Dialer Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829715

Glad to see you have the problem resolved.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

milpool wrote:
> Bert,
>
> Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, what caused the
> problem was Cisco Systems VPN Dialer program.
> I just needed to perform a quick registry edit and that
> solved the problem. Here is a link (for anyone else that
> runs into this problem):
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ginadll.htm
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> milpool
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Milpool,
>>
>> Do you have any idea what was installed to cause this
>> error?
>> Here are a few KB Articles that may help in the mean
>> time.
>>
>> "Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load"
>> error message after you install the MS04-003 security
>> update
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836683
>>
>> A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User
>> Switching Feature
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739
>>
>> The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear
>> When You Start the Computer
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> milpool wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I get an error message that "a recently installed
>>> program has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User
>>> switching. File name msGina.dll"
>>>
>>> Can anybody help me identify this program or tell me how
>>> to remove it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> milpool
!