Sign in with
Your question

Bootcamp Gamer Mac Pro Hardware / Streaming Question

Last response: in Video Games
December 7, 2011 5:06:26 AM

I have a Mac Pro from 2007 which has, I have Windows 7 64 bit installed on Bootcamp.

I have a 50 / 30 Mb Connectivity, I have tested this on speedtest.net etc , Fios connectivity

2x Dual Quad 3gighz Intel Xeon,
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT 512 MB

8 Gigs of ram 667 mhz

I am running on a normal hd nothing special.

My Computer when in Windows 7 Mode is rated.

Processor 7.2
Memory Ram 7.2
Graphics 6.8
Gaming Graphics 6.8
Primary Hard Disk 5.9

I am considering upgrading to a SSD drive from the normal standard Mac Hard Drives.

Mercury EXTREMEâ„¢ Pro 3G SSD 120GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Solid State Drive

Which should help, Im also considering upgrading The Video Card.

The Video Card selection upgrades for macs is very limiting. But 512 Compared to 1GB is an upgrade. Below

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro 1GB

Right now Im unable to stream at high quality. It seems Xsplit bogs down my machine even when its 10 percent. My frames while playing HQ is 10-20 while in heavy action. As soon as I get out of congestion in Stormwind it goes up to 30-40 fps but a bit choppy. I also am still downloading the game content.

My settings are as follows For Twitch

XSplit Default
Quality 10
2000 kbps VBV Buffer 2000

44.100 Khz 16 Bit Stereo

1280 x 720
25 fps
scale view port 10%

Any Suggestions will upgrading the Hard Drive / Video Card make a major difference.

Does Anyone use a BlackMagic Capture Card? Is it possible to record your stream through. I just discovered that might be another possible solution to making the most of my current system.

Im looking for some guidance if anyone can give me some help i'd apreciate it.
December 7, 2011 10:10:32 AM

I also heard a rumor that because my ram is DDR2 I would get the most performance money wise from a Video Card / Ram specifically.

Is this true?
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:53:25 PM

itzgankstah said:
I also heard a rumor that because my ram is DDR2 I would get the most performance money wise from a Video Card / Ram specifically.

Is this true?

I don't understand this question.

as far as upgrading to SSD and GPU, yes you will see performance gains with better hardware. I'm not sure what else you're looking to hear, since your options are pretty straight forward
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2011 3:34:51 PM

This is the first time I'm upgrading any of my apple products. I usually never upgrade and always buy new. So I'm just talking it out.

I was trying to see if I ran into anyone that knew in which order they would give me upgraded performance with in game fps.

Im assuming It will be

Graphics Card
Memory
SSD - Since My mother board is only capable of DDR2 ram, which is more memory intensive than hard drive intensive.

I was looking for anyone that had experience, could tell me what my expectations should be.
m
l
December 7, 2011 7:17:58 PM

if you upgrade to 5770 the expectations would be as follows (there's no exact numbers but you can infer them from the surrounding ones):
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...

SSD will shorten load times, it won't really contribute to fps unless the game is doing a huge amount of reading in real time as you're playing

same for ram, 8 Gb should be plenty for most video games, if you upgrade to 12gb you might see better performance on video capture like fraps or your streaming program but no way to tell for sure as to how much it will contribute to your fps in-game.

one note, you have 2000kbps set for streaming, do you really expect 2mb upload at all times? speedtest is great, but it's not a twitch server, so I'd start with something like 200 maybe 500 first and see how that works. unless ofcourse you can run a packet test to twitch servers

Quote:
I usually never upgrade and always buy new.
that's a good practice for laptops since upgrading costs quite a lot while sitting on old mobo.

Quote:
Since My mother board is only capable of DDR2 ram, which is more memory intensive than hard drive intensive.
ddr2 is more memory intensive? what? I think you miswrote something here...
m
l
!