Need advice =-]

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I got offered to trade straight up my abit kg7-lite for a msi pro 2 kt-266a today and dont know whether i should or not....my kg7 runs like a champ but it has the lesser performing amd 761....i know there is no way to alter the fsb on that msi model, which i dont like but im running a xp1900 so speed isnt really an issue....and besides i cant get my xp over 148 fsb neways without it locking up due to heat...and i have plenty of cooling (i think)...all i do is play intense games on it and surf

so what should i do? please advise =-]

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
If you can get a hold of the board before the swap test them out. (This will only work if you are trading with someone that will let you borrow the board of course.)

Now the Via Technologies KT266A has better memory managment than that of the AMD 761 chipset. But if the MSI board does not OC like you want it to then you probably will want to stick with your Abit.

However, side by side, the MSI board has a lot of USB 2.0 ports. It has 5 PCI slots and 1 AMR compared with 6 PCI slots on your board. Both have 4 ATA100. Clock multiplier of the MSI if 15.0x and memory can go up to 2.7V in 0.1V steps.

So if you can't borrow it for a while look at what you have to gain and give up. I am not sure with your board if you can OC the memory and what the highest CPU mulitplier go up to, but look at the stats <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011126/kt266a_nforce-22.html" target="_new"> here.</A> for the MSI board and make a decisssion based on facts.

However, If you cannot OC the memory on your machine it might be a wash in OC the memory and not the FSB. That coupled with the better memory managment of the KT266A chipset might give you a run for the money. Also, if you don't use all 6 PCI slots the MSI could be a viable alternative. Plus the MSI has USB 2.0 which yours does not.(No need for future upgrade to 2.0 later. Well if you use a lot of USB devices or video stuff.) You said you were a gamer and surfer only so USB 2.0 might not matter to you. Also both are AGP 4X so no difference between AGP and AGP Pro here.

You make the call...

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol: