Assassin's Creed: Revelations suprisingly slow FPS?

Molohath

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi all,

I have just got Assassin's Creed: Revelations on my laptop and am surprised by the very low frame rates I am getting compared to other games. My laptop spec is as follows:
Dell XPS17
Intel I7 Quad Core 2670QM 2.20GHz with 3.1GHz Turbo Boost
nVidia GT555M 3GB
6GB RAM
17" 1920 x 1080 120Hz (but been playing in 1600 x 900)
500GB 7200RPM HDD x2

Sorry I can't be more specific with the specs, can't get to my laptop right now.

Running the game on all medium settings, with Vsync and Post Effects turned off I am still only getting 18 - 24 FPS, this seems quite low as I can run full sized battles on Empire: Total War in max settings at 1920 x 1080 without dropping below 22...

My laptop is 3D, but running AC:R in 3D drops it to half the FPS (for obvious reasons). I know that from my spec I shouldn't be expecting 60FPS on full graphics, but I expected better than this compared to other games in my collections...Half Life 2 never drops below 57 FPS per eye (114FPS) in 3D on maxed out settings

Anyone else having these issues or able to help? Thanks :)

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
You sure you have the latest drivers as well as the correct patches installed for the game? More or less a stupid question as DRM automatically manages patches, but you never know.

Strangely enough, I've had some shitty framerates today as well, now that you mention it, a lot worse than it was yesterday when I played. Maybe the new patch did something it shouldn't have.

Molohath

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, I made sure I had the latest drivers and patches last night. I really can't work out what is causing this, especially as changing between low and high settings on the graphics only made 8 FPS difference, which seems a very small difference given visual difference between the two...Good to know it might not just be me.

Thanks. :)

+1 on latest drivers.

consider that HL2 engine even maxed out is hugely outdated. If you played AC2 on your laptop, what FPS did you get?

oh and also make sure that you're using your dedicated vs intel HD

Molohath

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah that is true about Half Life, I am afraid that I had all the previous versions of AC on my PS3, the most up to date game I have played on this laptop is Empire: Total War as mentioned above,,,

It is definitely running on the nVidia card as it is allowing me to switch in and out of 3D with my nVidia control panel 3D keyboard shortcuts...

What did you mean by +1 on latest drivers, have more come out since last night?

Thanks, :)

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Nope. He meant that it's a good idea, and generally the first thing you check for when troubleshooting issues.

With regards to the game though, mine was still lagging a bit yesterday afternoon. I think the patch may have something to do with this, but I'm not sure. I'll try again today (if I manage game time at all), otherwise I'm pretty much looking forward to the next patch :/

chanuka007

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

make sure you are not on power saving mode switch to high performance
it might take more power but it is going as fast as it can

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
iirc the total war games are much more cpu dependant then gpu dependant.

The 555m isn't the best of cards, its about in league with a standard 4770. Tone the resolution and settings down and it should be playable.

karim ahmed

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

No , I have a laptop with I5-460m and a GT 540m I play at 1366 x 768 ( some times I plug in my Full HD monitor XD)

Multisampling : X4
VSYNC : Off
Post Effects : off (and also on)
environment quality : 5/6 and some times 6/6 , Gives a slight FPS difference
shadow qualtiy : 4/5 , it added more than 10 FPS more than 5/5 quality in some places
and the rest full
with 22 FPS - 44 FPS in calm places , haha.
AlHamdu Lellah

Maybe your problem - Molohath - is heating ? I had this problem and when repaired , it helped much !
Also don't forget updating drivers .