Hi all...
I seem to have a problem that may be a worm or virus (though 3 different AV
programs have not found it!), and am comtemplating a complete new
installation of XP Pro.

My concern is to save all my documents, including Outlook emails, and
especially my 4,000 photos.
I would imagine the best way to do this is to do a backup of My Documents
onto a different hard drive, format my C drive, install XP Pro, then restore
my docs. Correct?

Also, I upgraded to XP Pro; in previous upgrades, I had to supply my discs
for older versions of windows to do an upgrade. Is this still the way it goes?

Thanks again for any help you can throw my way!
John

JohnnyJomp,

Try reposting with more details and see if you can get some help with the
problem. Usually, a complete reinstall is an overkill.

--
Sir_George

"JohnnyJomp" <JohnnyJomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...
> I seem to have a problem that may be a worm or virus (though 3 different
AV
> programs have not found it!), and am comtemplating a complete new
> installation of XP Pro.
>
> My concern is to save all my documents, including Outlook emails, and
> especially my 4,000 photos.
> I would imagine the best way to do this is to do a backup of My Documents
> onto a different hard drive, format my C drive, install XP Pro, then
restore
> my docs. Correct?
>
> Also, I upgraded to XP Pro; in previous upgrades, I had to supply my discs
> for older versions of windows to do an upgrade. Is this still the way it
goes?

> Thanks again for any help you can throw my way!
> John

Hi Sir George...

As posted in another NG, my Guest account has errors every time I log on to
it. I get Service Control Manager error messages and an ANIOApi error message
every time I log onto it. I created a new user, and did not get the error
messages until I took away its Admin priveledges. Without the Admin
priveledges, I get 2 SCMan error messages and no AnioApi message. My guest
account shows 5 messages.
Someone in another group suggested I had a certain worm, so I installed and
uninstalled 3 different antivirus/worm programs. None have found it. My only
hesitation is that the ANIOApi application seems to be a legit program, as
there is an entry for it in "Change or Remove applications".

I know that XP is much more robust than Win98, so would like to solve the
problem without going the extremes.
Any ideas???
Thanks
John