Epox 8kha+ probs

G

I am having trouble with this board in two areas.

1st- is the AC97 on-board sound does not work too well. The sound is delayed about 2 seconds and I can barley hear it with the sound level set all the way up with win98.

2nd- I installed a PCI modem. Windows detects but it does not dial out, absolutely no dial tone. Modem works fine in other systems

The drivers I am using are off the cd that came with the MB and the date on the cd is 10/30/2001. I have downloaded the most current drivers off epox's site and will try those after writing this post. Just seeing if any of you know about these probs and the solutions.

Thanks.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
About the modem, it has to be configured in Dial Up Properties in My Computer. There is a bit to it, and I don't have the time to describe it fully here. Go to a site like Practicallynetworked.com, and they will walk you through the whole process. It is not hard, but you have to pay attention, and once you do it a couple times, it becomes second nature, sort of.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

G

Well, I have installed the latest drivers. The sound is still barley audible and is still delayed. I think that this will be an easy fix.

As for the modem.
I have checked my settings for modem over and over again and all seems well but I just do not get any dial tone.
I have configured the modem in another PC using the ISP software and it works fine.

I am thinking that it may be a PCI prob but that win98 detects it is the part that gets me. System is really stable.

I went ahead and ordered a USB cable modem so I wont have to deal with this crap as far as the modem goes but I would like to figure the prob out. I have e-mailed epox and am expecting a reply on mon or tues. But any other suggestions are wanted.

G

<i>..."I have checked my settings for modem over and over again and all seems well but I just do not get any dial tone..."</i>

Have you *disabled* the serial ports in the BIOS? If you have not, the PCI modem will not work, i.e. not get a dial tone due to an IRQ conflict.

RJD

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is kinda silly but my friend had this problem so don't rule it out.
If you get everything configured correctly and don't get a dial tone make sure your phone cable is plugged into the line in of the modem and not the line out. I know some modems have two phone plugs, one to plug the modem into the wall, and one to plug a phone into the modem. My friend got them mixed up and it was driving him crazy because he had no idea what was wrong because everything was configured correctly.

G

Most people have made that mistake before.
I have tried everything I can think of. I must be missing something in the BIOS.
As far as the AC97 problem I have heard of others having the exact same prob as I am with this board.