Can anyone tell me why my CPU usage is sometimes at 100%, I thought I had a
good computer for widows xp.
My system information is:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OWNER-SNEED28WN
System Manufacturer 00101710 9880
System Model 15294300001025
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1495 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 0.51, 9/3/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name OWNER-SNEED28WN\Owner
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 640.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 329.90 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.52 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Windows Task Manager says:
Totals:
Handles 13877
Threads 569
Processes 46

Commit Charge (k):
Total 259172
limit 1598684
peak 306276
Physical Memory (k):
Total 654832
Available 341304
System Cache 442576

Kennel Memory (K)
Total 76068
Paged 53712
Nonpaged 22356

Don't know what any of this means, I keep getting asked and I don't know any
of this.
Do I need to upgrade my Motherboard, or get a whole new computer?
Apriciate the help.
JB

"jJurgie" <jurgie1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me why my CPU usage is sometimes at 100%, I thought I had a
>good computer for widows xp.
>My system information is:

CPU usage sometimes at 100% may just mean that you are getting your
money's worth out of the computer. On the other hand if it is always
or even frequently at 100% and remains there for more than a few
seconds then you may be asking too much of the machine or you may have
some sort of spyware/virus/trojan on the machine.

To see what is using the CPU time on your machine use the following
steps:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager.
2. Go to the Process tab.
3. Click twice on the CPU column heading to sort the task list by CPU
usage with the highest use items at the top.

That should show you which processes are using the most CPU time and
you can then track down which applications they belong to.

As a side note my machine *always* shows 100% CPU usage because I have
a distributed computing program installed which uses up all spare CPU
time. The one I have is called "Folding at Home" which is a research
project into the molecular structure of proteins. There are a number
of projects of this type, the best known of which is probably SETI.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--