vx4500 Voicemail

DaddyO

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004

Has anybody had any success setting up direct access to your voicemail
by changing the *86 to your cell phone number?
I wanted to do this so that I will not have my access minutes used
while checking voice mail.
The main issue with the 4500 is that you don't have the ability to
select text mode when you go into change your voice Mailbox# and this
is a must since you need to add a 2 sec pause (Capital T).
I have read that some of the early phones had the ability with the
older firmware but I have the newer firmware and apparently this is a
bug (possibly and intentional one by Verizon) ;-)

I have used bitpim and found a method of editing NVM_0002 to add the
full phone number with the T for the 2 second pause but I can't
overwrite or save the new file. Bitpim gives an error "An unexpected
exception has occurred." and does not allow the file to be deleted or
overwritten.
I have tried bitpim 7.21, 7.23, and QPST with no success.
All of these have worked with no problems for replacing ringtones and
wallpaper.

--
daddyo

daddyo wrote:
> Has anybody had any success setting up direct access to your voicemail
> by changing the *86 to your cell phone number?
> I wanted to do this so that I will not have my access minutes used
> while checking voice mail.
> The main issue with the 4500 is that you don't have the ability to
> select text mode when you go into change your voice Mailbox# and this
> is a must since you need to add a 2 sec pause (Capital T).
> I have read that some of the early phones had the ability with the
> older firmware but I have the newer firmware and apparently this is a
> bug (possibly and intentional one by Verizon) ;-)
>
> I have used bitpim and found a method of editing NVM_0002 to add the
> full phone number with the T for the 2 second pause but I can't
> overwrite or save the new file. Bitpim gives an error "An unexpected
> exception has occurred." and does not allow the file to be deleted or
> overwritten.
> I have tried bitpim 7.21, 7.23, and QPST with no success.
> All of these have worked with no problems for replacing ringtones and
> wallpaper.

Hate to tell you, but it is a major pain, totally worthless, and a waste of
your time.. Your whole stated reason
"I wanted to do this so that I will not have my access minutes used while
checking voice mail."
is *WRONG*

A few months back, they started charging regular minutes for
voicemail/dialing *86.. You're changing the number will make absolutelty no
difference!

In news:33bhklF3uiqkvU1@individual.net,
Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> typed:
> daddyo wrote:
>> Has anybody had any success setting up direct access to your
>> voicemail by changing the *86 to your cell phone number?
>> I wanted to do this so that I will not have my access minutes used
>> while checking voice mail.
>> The main issue with the 4500 is that you don't have the ability to
>> select text mode when you go into change your voice Mailbox# and this
>> is a must since you need to add a 2 sec pause (Capital T).
>> I have read that some of the early phones had the ability with the
>> older firmware but I have the newer firmware and apparently this is a
>> bug (possibly and intentional one by Verizon) ;-)
>>
>> I have used bitpim and found a method of editing NVM_0002 to add the
>> full phone number with the T for the 2 second pause but I can't
>> overwrite or save the new file. Bitpim gives an error "An unexpected
>> exception has occurred." and does not allow the file to be deleted or
>> overwritten.
>> I have tried bitpim 7.21, 7.23, and QPST with no success.
>> All of these have worked with no problems for replacing ringtones and
>> wallpaper.
>
> Hate to tell you, but it is a major pain, totally worthless, and a
> waste of your time.. Your whole stated reason
> "I wanted to do this so that I will not have my access minutes used
> while checking voice mail."
> is *WRONG*
>
> A few months back, they started charging regular minutes for
> voicemail/dialing *86.. You're changing the number will make
> absolutelty no difference!

Whenever you get your voicemail using your cell phone, it takes away from
your minutes during peak time.
However I setup a speed dial with my cell number, followed by 2 Ts (for
pause), then my access code, followed by a #. When you get a voice mail
notification press NO, then press the speed dial and you go right into your
voicemail.

In news:1n1Ad.30257$F25.19156@okepread07,
IMHO <nospam@nospam.net> typed:
> In news:33bhklF3uiqkvU1@individual.net,
> Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> typed:
>> daddyo wrote:
>>> Has anybody had any success setting up direct access to your
>>> voicemail by changing the *86 to your cell phone number?
>>> I wanted to do this so that I will not have my access minutes used
>>> while checking voice mail.
>>> The main issue with the 4500 is that you don't have the ability to
>>> select text mode when you go into change your voice Mailbox# and
>>> this is a must since you need to add a 2 sec pause (Capital T).
>>> I have read that some of the early phones had the ability with the
>>> older firmware but I have the newer firmware and apparently this is
>>> a bug (possibly and intentional one by Verizon) ;-)
>>>
>>> I have used bitpim and found a method of editing NVM_0002 to add the
>>> full phone number with the T for the 2 second pause but I can't
>>> overwrite or save the new file. Bitpim gives an error "An unexpected
>>> exception has occurred." and does not allow the file to be deleted
>>> or overwritten.
>>> I have tried bitpim 7.21, 7.23, and QPST with no success.
>>> All of these have worked with no problems for replacing ringtones
>>> and wallpaper.
>>
>> Hate to tell you, but it is a major pain, totally worthless, and a
>> waste of your time.. Your whole stated reason
>> "I wanted to do this so that I will not have my access minutes used
>> while checking voice mail."
>> is *WRONG*
>>
>> A few months back, they started charging regular minutes for
>> voicemail/dialing *86.. You're changing the number will make
>> absolutelty no difference!
>
> Whenever you get your voicemail using your cell phone, it takes away
> from your minutes during peak time.
> However I setup a speed dial with my cell number, followed by 2 Ts
> (for pause), then my access code, followed by a #. When you get a
> voice mail notification press NO, then press the speed dial and you
> go right into your voicemail.

This will also access your voicemail from anywhere!