BF3 suddenly maxes out my CPU

bgflick

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi.

I recently installed a Geforce GTX 570 (From a 9800 GX2) and suddenly BF3 is maxing out my CPU. Is this because I am now able to run on ultra settings?

My specs:

Win 7
Geforce GTX 570
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @2.50GHz
4 GB ddr2 RAM
XFX Nforce 780i 3-way SLI Mobo

Do i need to do some major updating to be able to play this game on ultra? Or is something wrong with my new card? I'm pretty terrible with the technical side of PC's, I just know how to install a video card really, =/. Any help would be great.

-BGFlick

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Basically the problem before getting your GTX 570 was that your graphics card was limiting how well you could run the game. If you had software to monitor the % usage on both the graphics card and cpu you would have noticed that your GPU was at 100% and the cpu was somwhere around 60 or 70 probably? thats a rough estimate.
Now that your GPU is way more powerful your CPU is the bottleneck, or the part that is limiting the rest of your computer. Now it is a quadcore which is good but the main limiting factor is the clock speed. If you were able to overclock your CPU to at least 3 ghz that would help you see a big improvement in the way the game runs. Your CPU may still be at 100% usage but that is normal and nothing to worry about with your setup.
If you dont know how to overclock your CPU google search and and find some tutorials or a video. Your motherboard is what controls the overclocking so run a search based on your motherboard.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

bgflick

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

From what I can find online, it seems like a guessing game with voltages etc. Is there anyway to calculate what it is? I guess I'm just paranoid i'll ruin my mobo/CPU.

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Sometimes you can OC your CPU without changing the voltage. Just change the FB speed a little at a time and test. When you hit a unstable speed go back one step and you’re at the highest speed without messing with the voltage.

My Q6600 can run at 3.0 GHz with stock voltage. Stock speed is 2.4 GHz.

I would repost the CPU OC in the Overclocking forum, you will get a ton of responses quickly.

As far as running Ultra settings on a GTX570, I don't think you will get them unless you are running a lower than 1080 resolution. I can only run a few individual settings on Ultra with a lightly OCed GTX 580, and that is with a 4GHz i7 920. I would start with EVERYthing on high, and them start testing each setting on Ultra. Make sure you have the Anti Aliassing Post turned to High and AA Differed OFF. Don't use both, one or the other. Post has less of a performance hit, but its a preference I guess. You can read up on the differences. Details is the first thing I set to Ultra.

spriteman

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hi There,

To attain the best gameplay vs Graphic Quality on my Asus 560GTX Ti TOP, I settled for everything set to Ultra except Texture Quality (High) and Ambient Occlusion set to SSAO. This gave a fantastic result overall with an average graphic memory load of around 96 to 99 percent while attaining a fps range of between 47 to 80+ fps the average being around 60. (Considder that on average the game is playable over 30 fps) this is more than satisfying.

You can find my full article here.

http://www.kellyvisiontec.co.uk/BF3%20Performance.html

Regds,

pluto8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

Please check out my thread and tell me if you have any idead about what my problem is. I have a gtx 560 and I only get 20fps on medium with a resolution of 1600x900, TY.