cpu usage?

right, i've read some similar problems to mine, however, the're not
identical, and they all seem to know the cause of their problem,
my computer will be running fine, but for no real reason, maybe i open
internet explorer, my cpu will go to 100% usage, causing my comp to freeze
up, and start jumping, this happens about once every cpl of mins, i recently
had to do a complete system restore, because of some virus i got,
comp stats:
1024 ram
amd3200 64bit processor,
160gb hd
i am running norton 2004, spyware doctor, and avg7 to try and keep it clean,
please could you tell me how to find the cause of my problem, and possibly
how to fix it?
many thanks
joel

Apparently you failed to completely remove the virus(es) or spyware. Don't
feel bad - virus and spyware writers have become more sophisticated, and
it's not so easy to successfully remove their excrement.

A 'clean install' would have solved the problem, since this involves
completely erasing your hard disk. Reinstalling Windows often won't do it.

Does your anti-virus/spyware software give you a name for the malware? If
so, you can usually find specific removal instructions on the Internet.

Modem Ani

"molome7" <molome7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> right, i've read some similar problems to mine, however, the're not
> identical, and they all seem to know the cause of their problem,
> my computer will be running fine, but for no real reason, maybe i open
> internet explorer, my cpu will go to 100% usage, causing my comp to freeze
> up, and start jumping, this happens about once every cpl of mins, i
recently
> had to do a complete system restore, because of some virus i got,
> comp stats:
> 1024 ram
> amd3200 64bit processor,
> 160gb hd
> i am running norton 2004, spyware doctor, and avg7 to try and keep it
clean,
> please could you tell me how to find the cause of my problem, and possibly
> how to fix it?
> many thanks
> joel

i did do a complete wipe of my hd, got rid of everything, the thing is i dont
think it's a program thats doing it, it just seems that whenever i open
anything my cpu just forgets everything else, and uses 100 % on that!
and no, norton etc cant find anything???
thankyou tho

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> Apparently you failed to completely remove the virus(es) or spyware. Don't
> feel bad - virus and spyware writers have become more sophisticated, and
> it's not so easy to successfully remove their excrement.
>
> A 'clean install' would have solved the problem, since this involves
> completely erasing your hard disk. Reinstalling Windows often won't do it.
>
> Does your anti-virus/spyware software give you a name for the malware? If
> so, you can usually find specific removal instructions on the Internet.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "molome7" <molome7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > right, i've read some similar problems to mine, however, the're not
> > identical, and they all seem to know the cause of their problem,
> > my computer will be running fine, but for no real reason, maybe i open
> > internet explorer, my cpu will go to 100% usage, causing my comp to freeze
> > up, and start jumping, this happens about once every cpl of mins, i
> recently
> > had to do a complete system restore, because of some virus i got,
> > comp stats:
> > 1024 ram
> > amd3200 64bit processor,
> > 160gb hd
> > i am running norton 2004, spyware doctor, and avg7 to try and keep it
> clean,
> > please could you tell me how to find the cause of my problem, and possibly
> > how to fix it?
> > many thanks
> > joel

In Task Manager ( Ctrl+Alt+Delete ) what Image is using the CPU?

Have you run an anti-spyware programme like Adaware?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>i did do a complete wipe of my hd, got rid of everything, the thing is
>i dont
> think it's a program thats doing it, it just seems that whenever i
> open
> anything my cpu just forgets everything else, and uses 100 % on that!
> and no, norton etc cant find anything???
> thankyou tho
>
> "Modem Ani" wrote:
>
>> Apparently you failed to completely remove the virus(es) or spyware.
>> Don't
>> feel bad - virus and spyware writers have become more sophisticated,
>> and
>> it's not so easy to successfully remove their excrement.
>>
>> A 'clean install' would have solved the problem, since this involves
>> completely erasing your hard disk. Reinstalling Windows often won't
>> do it.
>>
>> Does your anti-virus/spyware software give you a name for the
>> malware? If
>> so, you can usually find specific removal instructions on the
>> Internet.
>>
>> Modem Ani
>>
>> "molome7" <molome7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > right, i've read some similar problems to mine, however, the're not
>> > identical, and they all seem to know the cause of their problem,
>> > my computer will be running fine, but for no real reason, maybe i
>> > open
>> > internet explorer, my cpu will go to 100% usage, causing my comp to
>> > freeze
>> > up, and start jumping, this happens about once every cpl of mins, i
>> recently
>> > had to do a complete system restore, because of some virus i got,
>> > comp stats:
>> > 1024 ram
>> > amd3200 64bit processor,
>> > 160gb hd
>> > i am running norton 2004, spyware doctor, and avg7 to try and keep
>> > it
>> clean,
>> > please could you tell me how to find the cause of my problem, and
>> > possibly
>> > how to fix it?
>> > many thanks
>> > joel

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Good Luck!
---
How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

"molome7" wrote:

> right, i've read some similar problems to mine, however, the're not
> identical, and they all seem to know the cause of their problem,
> my computer will be running fine, but for no real reason, maybe i open
> internet explorer, my cpu will go to 100% usage, causing my comp to freeze
> up, and start jumping, this happens about once every cpl of mins, i recently
> had to do a complete system restore, because of some virus i got,
> comp stats:
> 1024 ram
> amd3200 64bit processor,
> 160gb hd
> i am running norton 2004, spyware doctor, and avg7 to try and keep it clean,
> please could you tell me how to find the cause of my problem, and possibly
> how to fix it?
> many thanks
> joel

well i have just got adaware, aswell as the rest, went through that
optimizewindows page, which didnt fix it, it just messed a few things up, so
i undid it all.
have tried to see through task mngr, but the problem is that it goes from
~2% to 100% imediatley, it seems to always be the prog i'm, starting, or
explorer thats takin up 80%+, but it's difficult to say when it freezes up???

Possibilities?

Csrss.exe uses 100% of the CPU When you Right-Click an item in Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555021

A Program Stops Performing a Task or Explorer.exe Uses 100 Percent of
the CPU When You Right-Click an Item in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819946

Windows Stops Responding When You Click a Large AVI File in Windows
Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822430

--

Hope this helps.