Strange problem with Windows XP graphics system

I have a problem with an XP system.

Although it has an onboard graphics chip, it refuses to boot normally
until a graphic cards is placed in the AGP slot. The card is not
recognized and it continues to work with onboard graphics system.

Plugging the monitor cable into the AGP slot does not show anything,
even when it boots the AGP card (which works anyway) does not even show
up in the Hardware Device manager.

Has anyone come across this before, I am reluctant to stick a good
working AGP adapter in the case just to get it to boot normally.

I don't think the problem has much to do with device driver changes.

I restored previous images I made with Acronis and the problem remains.

Regards

Prof Chen
1 answer Last reply
More about strange problem windows graphics system

    You have to open the BIOS and disable your onboard
    video in order to use a new AGP video card.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "prof chen" wrote:

    | I have a problem with an XP system.
    |
    | Although it has an onboard graphics chip, it refuses to boot normally
    | until a graphic cards is placed in the AGP slot. The card is not
    | recognized and it continues to work with onboard graphics system.
    |
    | Plugging the monitor cable into the AGP slot does not show anything,
    | even when it boots the AGP card (which works anyway) does not even show
    | up in the Hardware Device manager.
    |
    | Has anyone come across this before, I am reluctant to stick a good
    | working AGP adapter in the case just to get it to boot normally.
    |
    | I don't think the problem has much to do with device driver changes.
    |
    | I restored previous images I made with Acronis and the problem remains.
    |
    | Regards
    |
    | Prof Chen

Graphics Windows XP