Flashing CD Icon

Hi, I got a problem. My Cd-Rom driver wasn't working right so I updated it.
Now I have a flashing CD icon beside my mouse pointer (aka "The Working In
Background" icon for the CD-Rom) after each use. If I uninstall then
reinstall it or reboot, it stops till the next time after it is used. I have
searched all over the web for an answer and tried all I could find, but can't
can find the right one. So can somebody tell me how to remove this icon from
my system? I live without it. Oh yes I almost forget this is on XP Home.
5 answers Last reply
More about flashing icon

    Click Start-> Control Panel-> Double-click Mouse, select Pointers tab, below
    "Schemes", select Windows defaults from the drop-down and click OK,

    --
    HTH
    Meena
    "Kilgore" <Kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I got a problem. My Cd-Rom driver wasn't working right so I updated
    it.
    > Now I have a flashing CD icon beside my mouse pointer (aka "The Working In
    > Background" icon for the CD-Rom) after each use. If I uninstall then
    > reinstall it or reboot, it stops till the next time after it is used. I
    have
    > searched all over the web for an answer and tried all I could find, but
    can't
    > can find the right one. So can somebody tell me how to remove this icon
    from
    > my system? I live without it. Oh yes I almost forget this is on XP Home.

    Thanks for your response, but that's not what I meant. Before anyone else
    post a suggestion like yours let me tell you what I have tried to solve this.

    1. What you just told me.
    2. Deleting the icon cache
    3. Uninstalling the mouse and CD-Rom drives, then reinstalling them
    4. Icon repair tools
    5. System restore
    6. Reinstalling the original driver

    Now let me see if I can explain what I want.When a CD-Rom is put in a player
    it tells the computer to change the Working in Background icon from the
    hourglass to a CD. What I would like to do is edit whatever is giving this
    command so the CD icon want ever appear again.

    "Meena" wrote:

    > Click Start-> Control Panel-> Double-click Mouse, select Pointers tab, below
    > "Schemes", select Windows defaults from the drop-down and click OK,
    >
    > --
    > HTH
    > Meena
    > "Kilgore" <Kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I got a problem. My Cd-Rom driver wasn't working right so I updated
    > it.
    > > Now I have a flashing CD icon beside my mouse pointer (aka "The Working In
    > > Background" icon for the CD-Rom) after each use. If I uninstall then
    > > reinstall it or reboot, it stops till the next time after it is used. I
    > have
    > > searched all over the web for an answer and tried all I could find, but
    > can't
    > > can find the right one. So can somebody tell me how to remove this icon
    > from
    > > my system? I live without it. Oh yes I almost forget this is on XP Home.

    Click Start-> Control Panel-> Double-click Mouse, select Pointers tab, below
    "Schemes", select Windows defaults from the drop-down and click OK,

    --
    HTH
    Meena
    "Kilgore" <Kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I got a problem. My Cd-Rom driver wasn't working right so I updated
    it.
    > Now I have a flashing CD icon beside my mouse pointer (aka "The Working In
    > Background" icon for the CD-Rom) after each use. If I uninstall then
    > reinstall it or reboot, it stops till the next time after it is used. I
    have
    > searched all over the web for an answer and tried all I could find, but
    can't
    > can find the right one. So can somebody tell me how to remove this icon
    from
    > my system? I live without it. Oh yes I almost forget this is on XP Home.

    didnt read post right, driver wasnt working, erm in that case,

    what is the model of the drive, and are you on service pack 2 ?

    the only thing i can think of, as a quick fix, is keeping your old
    driver?

    use system restore and revert back to when it was working fine, or use
    the roll back driver tool, from the device manager.

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP