Trouble getting Epox 8KHA+ to boot

G

OK, I built an Epox8kHA+, Athlon XP 1600 computer but I am having trouble with it booting. When I turn it on all of the fans in the comp (2 power supply fans, 2 front case fans, 1 back case fan, mobo fan, and heatsink) all start running fine but the prob is nothing happens on the monitor. I see 00 or OO (can't tell which) on the LED screen but that doesn't correspon to anything in the manuel. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

G

<i>..."I see 00 or OO (can't tell which) on the LED screen but that doesn't correspon to anything in the manuel. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks..."</i>

Such a reading <i>could </i> suggest a defective CPU. Or at the very least, minimal voltage is reaching the processor.

It would help the dx process substantially if you had a spare CPU for testing purposes. However, if it <i>isn't </i> a CPU problem, then I would suspect either a BIOS problem, ( earlier releases of that board had a defective BIOS chip ) or something else on the board that is preventing any posting routine.

Hope these suggestions helps some.

RJD

G

Well when I first put it together Arctic silver crap got all over the processor and when I tried to boot up I got FF which meant mainboard prob in the manuel. So then I went back and cleaned off the top of the processor. After that I got 00 or OO. And thats where I am right now. Lets put it this way if you are me what do you do?

I would clean the cpu again with just an old toothbrush and some soapy water, then rinse off and let dry. Apply one tiny dab of arctic silver II in the center of the cpu and reinstall the heatsink. Then, remove the board from your case, and try just one stick of memory with cpu,heatsink, and video card, and see if it will post. If not, enable the cmos jumper for 10 seconds with system off, and try again.

svol

Champion
Have you applied Arctic Silver over the entire CPU (including the small conectors on the CPU surface)?
Then you might have shorted the CPU.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Well in the beginning I still only applied it to the center but I put wa ytoo much and yes it got ALL over the top of th processor. I cleaned it with alcohol. So I think Ill try to clean it again but if that doesn't work I suppose I should replace the processor?

G

alright I guess ill do that. The only thing I am worried about is getting a new processor then finding out the mobo was screwed not the processor but if the mobo was broken I guess the mobo fan wouldn't be running.

G

I just thought of something. On this comp I have a pent.2 processor 350 mhz. Is that compatible with the EPox? if so I could just put this processor on my new comp just to see if the athlong 1600+ is the prob. Will that work?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe I read that wrong three times, but no, you can't run an Intel processor on a motherboard made for an AMD. Sorry if I read that wrong.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)