XPSP2, Just One Simple Prob.

I installed xp service pack 2, no problemo except for one tiny thing. On my
Local Area Connection, it has a little alert sign, saying little or no
connectivity, but i can switch around users on my comp fine, and search the
internet fine, as far as i know. Just wondering if its affecting me in a way
i dont know, and if so how to fix it. I tried right clicking it and clicking
repair, and it says updating your IP address, then it says cannot update IP
address. But like i said, it doesnt SEEM to be making a difference to my
comp. thnx for any help you might give...

And i just discovered one more hting. when i click on it and click Support,
it says "You may not be able to acces the Internet or some network resources.
This problem occured because your network did not assign a network address to
the computer." thats all.. as i stated, i hae access to the internet, and i
can switch users on my comp. I have only one comp. please help.

thunderstruck_302 wrote:
> And i just discovered one more hting. when i click on it and click
> Support, it says "You may not be able to acces the Internet or some
> network resources. This problem occured because your network did not
> assign a network address to the computer." thats all.. as i stated, i
> hae access to the internet, and i can switch users on my comp. I have
> only one comp. please help.

Have you tried updating the drivers for your network card?

--
<- Shenan ->

peter

Try going to Start/Network Connections (or Start/Control Panel/Network &
Internet/Network Connections ... right-click Local Area Connections and
click "Repair" see if that does anything. It's possible your network
adapter needs updating too.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada,
> And i just discovered one more hting. when i click on it and click
> Support,
> it says "You may not be able to acces the Internet or some network
> resources.
> This problem occured because your network did not assign a network address
> the computer." thats all.. as i stated, i hae access to the internet, and
> can switch users on my comp. I have only one comp. please help.
>
> "thunderstruck_302" wrote:
>
>> I installed xp service pack 2, no problemo except for one tiny thing. On
>> my
>> Local Area Connection, it has a little alert sign, saying little or no
>> connectivity, but i can switch around users on my comp fine, and search
>> the
>> internet fine, as far as i know. Just wondering if its affecting me in a
>> way
>> i dont know, and if so how to fix it. I tried right clicking it and
>> clicking
>> repair, and it says updating your IP address, then it says cannot update
>> IP
>> address. But like i said, it doesnt SEEM to be making a difference to my
>> comp. thnx for any help you might give...

ya, i just tried to repair the connection the way u told me, but like i said,
i keep getting it where it says "Renewing Your IP Address" then it stops and
says "Windows cannot finish repairing the problem because the following could
not be completed:
Renewing your IP Address
For assistance contact the person who manages your network" well, i manage
my network pretty much.... its just the one comp.
As well, i tried going to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,
Network Adapters (right click) then update driver. That didnt work. the
network card shouldnt be the problem because this thing only started as soon
as i put XP Service Pack 2 on. So basically.... i still havent fixed it..
please help.

"thunderstruck_302" wrote:

> I installed xp service pack 2, no problemo except for one tiny thing. On my
> Local Area Connection, it has a little alert sign, saying little or no
> connectivity, but i can switch around users on my comp fine, and search the
> internet fine, as far as i know. Just wondering if its affecting me in a way
> i dont know, and if so how to fix it. I tried right clicking it and clicking
> repair, and it says updating your IP address, then it says cannot update IP
> address. But like i said, it doesnt SEEM to be making a difference to my
> comp. thnx for any help you might give...

hi when you go to internet connections how many adapters are shown ,you have
1 computer so there should only be 1 connection ,what makes me think this, is
that you can surf the net so your ip address is ok ,so there must be another
adapter
if so disable one ,try connecting to the web if you can thats yours if not
disable it, and enable the other let me no i am only new to this myself but
it does sound like youve set up a home network

thunderstruck_302 wrote:
> ya, i just tried to repair the connection the way u told me, but like
> i said, i keep getting it where it says "Renewing Your IP Address"
> then it stops and says "Windows cannot finish repairing the problem
> because the following could not be completed:
> Renewing your IP Address
> For assistance contact the person who manages your network" well, i
> manage my network pretty much.... its just the one comp.
> As well, i tried going to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device
> Manager, Network Adapters (right click) then update driver. That
> didnt work. the network card shouldnt be the problem because this
> thing only started as soon as i put XP Service Pack 2 on. So
> basically.... i still havent fixed it.. please help.

Hmm.. I never told you to do a "repair" on it.

And the driver thing is still a valid suggestion, as you have not updated
it. Unless you went to the manufacturer's web page for the network card,
downloaded the latest driver from them and installed it per the instructions
they give - you haven't updated the driver.

From what you put here, you never did that - you just clicked on "update
drive" and expected some sort of magic. *grin* Windows XP is good, but it
is not that good. And yes - you put SP2 on and this started happening. A
lot of people have had to update their hardware drivers after the
installation of SP2 because SP2 is more than a MINOR change in Windows XP.

Visit those manufacturer web sites for the latest downloadable
drivers for your hardware/operating system. Always (IMO) get the
manufacturers hardware driver over any Microsoft offers. On the Windows
Update site, I suggest NOT getting their hardware drivers - no matter how
tempting.

How do you know what hardware you have in your computer?
Invoice or if it is up and working now - take inventory:

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Creative Labs Sound Device
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

C-Media Sound Device
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

Then install these drivers. Updated drivers are usually more stable and
may provide extra benefits/features that you really wished you had before.

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

--
<- Shenan ->

I had this prob too when I installed SP2. The only work around that really
worked (and I researched quite a lot) is to assign a network address to your
computer. Go to network connections, right click the LAN-connection,
Properties, Internet protocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Assign IP-address. I
used 192.168.0.1 and it works.

Hope it works for you.

"thunderstruck_302" wrote:

> I installed xp service pack 2, no problemo except for one tiny thing. On my
> Local Area Connection, it has a little alert sign, saying little or no
> connectivity, but i can switch around users on my comp fine, and search the
> internet fine, as far as i know. Just wondering if its affecting me in a way
> i dont know, and if so how to fix it. I tried right clicking it and clicking
> repair, and it says updating your IP address, then it says cannot update IP
> address. But like i said, it doesnt SEEM to be making a difference to my
> comp. thnx for any help you might give...

ok, ill try all hte things you told me... Would any of this slow the Sign In
down? Because now im noticing that when i sign in to a user on my comp, its
much slower than before SP2. It takes bout 30 seconds to get the whole thing
loaded after i click enter when i sign in. Just wondrin. I noticed some of
you have this problem as well, so i thought i might as well get it fixed. Its
just the sig in, not the sign out htat takes a while.