Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Logitech MW3 G105 vs Microsoft Sidewinder X4

Last response: in Video Games
December 8, 2011 4:53:15 PM

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a back-lit keyboard mostly for gaming and typing in dark purposes. I have my eyes set on Microsoft Sidewinder X4 and a special edition from Logitech for MW3 model G105.

I absolutely need keyboard legs, so I didn't consider Sidewinder X6. I haven't yet used Razer keyboards so if Razers are better than the ones I am thinking about, you're welcome to tell me so!

Overall, I am thinking that I should buy G105 but there are some features on Sidewinder X4 that may be utterly useless but are luring me (USB, audio ports). I overall love logitech products, but don't really hate Microsoft's either.

Need guidance.
December 9, 2011 5:39:15 PM

pinaklonkar said:
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a back-lit keyboard mostly for gaming and typing in dark purposes. I have my eyes set on Microsoft Sidewinder X4 and a special edition from Logitech for MW3 model G105.

I absolutely need keyboard legs, so I didn't consider Sidewinder X6. I haven't yet used Razer keyboards so if Razers are better than the ones I am thinking about, you're welcome to tell me so!

Overall, I am thinking that I should buy G105 but there are some features on Sidewinder X4 that may be utterly useless but are luring me (USB, audio ports). I overall love logitech products, but don't really hate Microsoft's either.

Need guidance.

The Sidewinder X4 doesn't have USB or audio ports. What it has over most keyboards is that it actually works when you press multiple keys simultaneously. I haven't seen a G105, but I notice Logitech advertises it as allowing you to press "up to 5 keys at once". That is very different from "any 5 keys at once". In fact, most keyboards start having problems with some combinations of 3 keys at once. Typically, it's less than 5% of 3 key combinations that have this problem, so you may get lucky and not hit it. On the X4, all combinations of alphanumeric and navigation keys of 17 or fewer keys report correctly. You can get the full details here:

Obviously, 17 is gross overkill, but 3 is pretty important for most gamers. I'd love to know if the G105 correctly reports every combination of 3 keys. If anyone has a G105, I'd appreciate it if you could test it a bit and post the results. There are various test programs available on line. Here's a link to ours:

This one just runs in a browser, so you don't have to download anything. Of course, it has some limitations because of that, but it's reasonable for a quick check.

Of course, these keyboards have other features that may cause you to choose one over the other. These are important. But my personal bias is that accurately reporting the keys I'm pressing is Job #1 for a keyboard. It's kind of shocking that most keyboards out there are pretty limited in their ability to do this...

Disclaimer: Yes, I work for Microsoft, but I'm not speaking for them here. I'm the researcher behind the tech in the X4 so I'm in a position to comment on this feature somewhat knowledgeably. Logitech makes some great products - I personally own a number of them.
Score
December 9, 2011 5:48:32 PM

I just bought the G105 and I appreciate you giving this information to me. I'll download some of these demos and see how that keyboard fairs. I'll post a review soon.
Score
!