how to change to uniprocessor HAL?

Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
updates

Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers hal.dll
ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)

The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
suggests:

"Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."

HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to reinstall the
op system, but I know of no such options during installation! Attempting to
update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are already
installed.

Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup (vs
uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
-E
10 answers Last reply
More about change uniprocessor

    It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
    entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
    HH

    "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
    > Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    > updates
    >
    > Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers hal.dll
    > ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    >
    > The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
    > suggests:
    >
    > "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    >
    > HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    > ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >
    > I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to reinstall
    the
    > op system, but I know of no such options during installation! Attempting
    > update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are
    already
    > installed.
    >
    > Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup (vs
    > uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    > -E

    No, but I tried it...
    It scans, then comes back as the same thing: ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

    All of the Microsoft literature suggests that the only way is to reinstall
    the op system. During that installation process, it is supposed to offer an
    option to press F6 to make some kind of setting/selection related to SCSI.
    At that point there are supposedly two "hidden" options, to press F5 or F7
    (rather than F6). Pressing F5 supposedly offers the option to select ACPI
    Uniprocessor PC from a list.

    It has been a long time since I last installed this Compaq OEM WinXP Home op
    system, so I might not remember, but I don't remember any such option being
    offered.

    I'm still wondering if it is worth the effort. Is my computer's performance
    substandard because of this? What is the effect?
    -E

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
    entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
    HH

    "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
    > Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    > updates
    >
    > Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers hal.dll
    > ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    >
    > The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
    > suggests:
    >
    > "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    >
    > HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    > ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >
    > I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to reinstall
    the
    > op system, but I know of no such options during installation! Attempting
    > update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are
    already
    > installed.
    >
    > Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup (vs
    > uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    > -E

    The only way to tell would be to run some processor benchmark tests. I use
    Wintune for simple Dhrystone/Whetstone (Integer/FPU) testing, but it is no
    longer available online since Windows Mag went kaput. Try to find some
    testing software, then post your results. As for such an option when
    installing a Compaq OEM version of the OS, I doubt you would have it either.

    > No, but I tried it...
    > It scans, then comes back as the same thing: ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
    >
    > All of the Microsoft literature suggests that the only way is to reinstall
    > the op system. During that installation process, it is supposed to offer
    an
    > option to press F6 to make some kind of setting/selection related to SCSI.
    > At that point there are supposedly two "hidden" options, to press F5 or F7
    > (rather than F6). Pressing F5 supposedly offers the option to select ACPI
    > Uniprocessor PC from a list.
    >
    > It has been a long time since I last installed this Compaq OEM WinXP Home
    op
    > system, so I might not remember, but I don't remember any such option
    being
    > offered.
    >
    > I'm still wondering if it is worth the effort. Is my computer's
    performance
    > substandard because of this? What is the effect?
    > -E
    >
    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
    > entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
    > HH
    >

    > "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
    > > Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    > > updates
    > >
    > > Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers hal.dll
    > > ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    > >
    > > The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
    > > suggests:
    > >
    > > "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    > >
    > > HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    > > ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    > >
    > > I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to reinstall
    > the
    > > op system, but I know of no such options during installation! Attempting
    > > update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are
    > already
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
    (vs
    > > uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    > > -E

    This machine doesn't have a HyperThreading CPU, does it? From XP's
    perspective, that IS two CPUs.

    Tom
    > The only way to tell would be to run some processor benchmark tests. I use
    > Wintune for simple Dhrystone/Whetstone (Integer/FPU) testing, but it is no
    > longer available online since Windows Mag went kaput. Try to find some
    > testing software, then post your results. As for such an option when
    > installing a Compaq OEM version of the OS, I doubt you would have it
    either.
    > HH
    >
    > "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
    > > No, but I tried it...
    > > It scans, then comes back as the same thing: ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
    > >
    > > All of the Microsoft literature suggests that the only way is to
    reinstall
    > > the op system. During that installation process, it is supposed to offer
    > an
    > > option to press F6 to make some kind of setting/selection related to
    SCSI.
    > > At that point there are supposedly two "hidden" options, to press F5 or
    F7
    > > (rather than F6). Pressing F5 supposedly offers the option to select
    ACPI
    > > Uniprocessor PC from a list.
    > >
    > > It has been a long time since I last installed this Compaq OEM WinXP
    > op
    > > system, so I might not remember, but I don't remember any such option
    > being
    > > offered.
    > >
    > > I'm still wondering if it is worth the effort. Is my computer's
    > performance
    > > substandard because of this? What is the effect?
    > > -E
    > >
    > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > It should be ACPI Uniprocessor PC. Have you right clicked on the current
    > > entry and select Scan for hardware changes?
    > > HH
    > >

    > > "Euclid" <Euclid@mmiv.nu> wrote in message
    > > > Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    > > > updates
    > > >
    > > > Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers
    hal.dll
    > > > ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    > > >
    > > > The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
    > > > suggests:
    > > >
    > > > "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    > > >
    > > > HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    > > > ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    > > >
    > > > I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
    reinstall
    > > the
    > > > op system, but I know of no such options during installation!
    Attempting
    > > > update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are
    > > already
    > > > installed.
    > > >
    > > > Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
    > (vs
    > > > uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    > > > -E

    No. It has an Athlon XP 2400+ processor.
    -E

> [...]

    hal.dll
    > > > ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    > > >
    > > > The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
    > > > suggests:
    > > >
    > > > "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    > > >
    > > > HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    > > > ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    > > >
    > > > I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
    reinstall
    > > the
    > > > op system, but I know of no such options during installation!
    Attempting
    > > > update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are
    > > already
    > > > installed.
    > > >
    > > > Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
    > (vs
    > > > uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Euclid wrote:
    > Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    > updates
    >
    > Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers
    > hal.dll ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    >
    > The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
    > suggests:
    >
    > "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    >
    > HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    > ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >
    > I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
    > reinstall the op system, but I know of no such options during
    > installation! Attempting to update the drivers offers nothing new,
    > and says the best drivers are already installed.
    >
    > Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
    > (vs uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    > -E

    Use the option Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    then...
    Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
    then...
    Check the box Show compatible hardware
    What options are shown in the Model list?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Euclid wrote:
    > Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    > updates
    >
    > Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers
    > hal.dll ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    >
    > The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating system
    > suggests:
    >
    > "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    >
    > HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    > ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >
    > I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
    > reinstall the op system, but I know of no such options during
    > installation! Attempting to update the drivers offers nothing new,
    > and says the best drivers are already installed.
    >
    > Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
    > (vs uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    > -E

    Use the option Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    then...
    Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
    then...
    Check the box Show compatible hardware
    What options are shown in the Model list?

    Thanks for the tip. Here's what comes up in that Model list:

    ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    MPS Multiprocessor PC
    Standard PC

    Should I risk trying one of those others?
    Will black smoke start pouring out the top of my computer case? :)
    -E
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Euclid wrote:
    > Euclid wrote:
    >> Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    >> updates
    >>
    >> Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers
    >> hal.dll ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    >>
    >> The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating
    >> system suggests:
    >>
    >> "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    >>
    >> HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    >> ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >>
    >> I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
    >> reinstall the op system, but I know of no such options during
    >> installation! Attempting to update the drivers offers nothing new,
    >> and says the best drivers are already installed.
    >>
    >> Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
    >> (vs uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    >> -E
    >
    > Use the option Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    > then...
    > Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
    > then...
    > Check the box Show compatible hardware
    > What options are shown in the Model list?
    >
    > Thanks for the tip. Here's what comes up in that Model list:
    >
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    > MPS Multiprocessor PC
    > Standard PC
    >
    > Should I risk trying one of those others?
    > Will black smoke start pouring out the top of my computer case? :)
    > -E

    The second option ACPI PC is normal for single processor XP
    installations on P4s. I've never had a need to do this and do not know
    if a boot to Safe Mode will allow you to correct a consequent problem.
    OTOH, the option is standard.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Euclid wrote:
    > Euclid wrote:
    >> Compaq Presario S4020WM running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest
    >> updates
    >>
    >> Device Manager, Computer says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (drivers
    >> hal.dll ntkrnlpa.exe ntoskrnl.exe)
    >>
    >> The AIDA32 v3.93 sysinfo tool under Operating System, Operating
    >> system suggests:
    >>
    >> "Only 1 CPU installed, you should change to uniprocessor HAL."
    >>
    >> HAL=Hardware Abstraction Layer
    >> ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >>
    >> I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
    >> reinstall the op system, but I know of no such options during
    >> installation! Attempting to update the drivers offers nothing new,
    >> and says the best drivers are already installed.
    >>
    >> Is my computer's performance less than optimum with the present setup
    >> (vs uniprocessor HAL)? If so, how? Suggestions?
    >> -E
    >
    > Use the option Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    > then...
    > Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
    > then...
    > Check the box Show compatible hardware
    > What options are shown in the Model list?
    >
    > Thanks for the tip. Here's what comes up in that Model list:
    >
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    > MPS Multiprocessor PC
    > Standard PC
    >
    > Should I risk trying one of those others?
    > Will black smoke start pouring out the top of my computer case? :)
    > -E

    The second option ACPI PC is normal for single processor XP
    installations on P4s. I've never had a need to do this and do not know
    if a boot to Safe Mode will allow you to correct a consequent problem.
    OTOH, the option is standard.
    _____________________

    A knowledgable tech person on another NG says to leave it alone. It will
    work OK as-is, and changing it won't improve anything. Perhaps I'll look for
    that option when/if I reinstall this op system someday.
    -E
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    <<<<I googled and the only way I can see to make this change is to
    reinstall the
    op system, but I know of no such options during installation!
    Attempting to
    update the drivers offers nothing new, and says the best drivers are
    already
    installed.>>>

    We are clonning between different hardware arquitectures.
    We change between three different hal.dll, with relative good success.
    Sometimes it's necesary change the other kernel files:

    ntkrnlmp.exe
    ktkrnlpa.exe
    kernel32.dll
    ntdll.dll
    win32k.sys
    winsrv.dll

    We change it using a clone program, but you can change it starting
    from CD instalation windows, and selecting repair it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

Compaq Drivers Computers