Best position for wireless Router?

Hi there,

In general where would you recommend positioning a wireless router in a
house (from the point of view of signal strength and quality) - upstairs or
downstairs.

Reason I'm asking is i'm hoping shortly to take delivery of a new laptop so
would like it to be able to get a decent signal no matter where in the house
i use it..

Thanks in advance

David
2 answers Last reply
More about best position wireless router

    David Gartrell wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >In general where would you recommend positioning a wireless router in a
    >house (from the point of view of signal strength and quality) - upstairs or
    >downstairs.
    >
    >Reason I'm asking is i'm hoping shortly to take delivery of a new laptop so
    >would like it to be able to get a decent signal no matter where in the house
    >i use it..
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >David

    Generally, a central location at the lower story ceiling (or upper story
    floor). I had problems in part of my house until I located my wireless
    AP below my stairwell at the interface between floors.

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:22:18 -0000, "David Gartrell"
    <davsarg@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >In general where would you recommend positioning a wireless router in a
    >house (from the point of view of signal strength and quality) - upstairs or
    >downstairs.
    >
    >Reason I'm asking is i'm hoping shortly to take delivery of a new laptop so
    >would like it to be able to get a decent signal no matter where in the house
    >i use it..

    In theory, the attenuation of a floor or ceiling should be the same no
    matter which direction you're going through it. However, if you
    position the access point downstairs, you'll probably be going through
    the bottom of quite a bit of upstairs furniture to get to your laptop
    including the desk it's sitting upon. Putting the access point in a
    clear area upstairs, and then shooting down through the floor goes
    directly to the laptop, without going through the furniture.
    Therefore, I would sugget you put it upstairs.

    Another criteria is putting the access point near where you plan to
    use it the most.

    Still another is to take advantage of stair wells and put it upstairs
    near the stairwell so it doesn't have to go through the floor and
    furniture.

    Of course, there's always the infamous, try it both ways and see which
    one works best.

    Incidentally, if you have aluminium foil backed insulation or poured
    concrete as a floor/ceiling, you're gonna have a problem as RF doesn't
    go through those too well.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Wireless Router Wireless Internet Wireless Networking