how do i know which is the c d rom drive? i need to re install windows but
not sure which one i put the disc in.the dvd rom drive or the c d rewritable
drive

"mangel" <mangel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i know which is the c d rom drive? i need to re install windows but
> not sure which one i put the disc in.the dvd rom drive or the c d
> rewritable
> drive

The front of the DVD drive should have the "DVD" logo etched into it, or
labelled on. Also, the CD writer drive likely has a couple of lights on the
front, rather than just one.

--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

"Dan DiNicolo" wrote:

> "mangel" <mangel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > how do i know which is the c d rom drive? i need to re install windows but
> > not sure which one i put the disc in.the dvd rom drive or the c d
> > rewritable
> > drive
>
> The front of the DVD drive should have the "DVD" logo etched into it, or
> labelled on. Also, the CD writer drive likely has a couple of lights on the
> front, rather than just one.
>
> --
> Dan DiNicolo
> MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
> http://www.2000trainers.com
>
> thank you so which one is the c d rom drive? as that is the one i need to put my windows disc in. i am new at all this pc stuff

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

To reinstall Windows you can use either the CD or DVD drive. The problem is
which one is the system going to boot from when you change the BIOS to allow
booting from the CD. Only you can determine that by figuring out which one
is hooked up as the Master device (assuming you know how to do that).