Running Task Manager Processes

I noticed that there are two of the same processes currently running at the
same time in the task manager, how is it possible that two of the same
processes can be running at the same time? Is it possible for multiple
running processes to duplicate themselves? By the way I tried terminating
both of these processes duplicates but that didn't work and I also noticed
that the two duplicate processes use far less memory than the originals. If
it helps the two running processes would be mcvsftsn.exe and
rphelperapp.exe. Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about running task manager processes

    Open Notepad any number of times and see how many show up in Task Manager.
    It depends on the program.

    I have no idea on these. One of them running would be too many for me.

    mcvsftsn.exe is a process belonging to the McAfee VirusScan online utility

    rphelperapp.exe is part of RealPlayer from real.com.

    rphelperapp.exe is located in C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:63F93550-1A03-4D4B-9172-36D8EF4B954B@microsoft.com,
    spursfan <spursfan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I noticed that there are two of the same processes currently running
    > at the same time in the task manager, how is it possible that two of
    > the same processes can be running at the same time? Is it possible
    > for multiple running processes to duplicate themselves? By the way
    > I tried terminating both of these processes duplicates but that
    > didn't work and I also noticed that the two duplicate processes use
    > far less memory than the originals. If it helps the two running
    > processes would be mcvsftsn.exe and rphelperapp.exe. Thanks

    i have that problem too like svchost.exe appears about 4 times...
    is that normal?

    is there a list of safe processes to close? or is there an average amount of
    processes that should be running at once?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Open Notepad any number of times and see how many show up in Task Manager.
    > It depends on the program.
    >
    > I have no idea on these. One of them running would be too many for me.
    >
    > mcvsftsn.exe is a process belonging to the McAfee VirusScan online utility
    >
    > rphelperapp.exe is part of RealPlayer from real.com.
    >
    > rphelperapp.exe is located in C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:63F93550-1A03-4D4B-9172-36D8EF4B954B@microsoft.com,
    > spursfan <spursfan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I noticed that there are two of the same processes currently running
    > > at the same time in the task manager, how is it possible that two of
    > > the same processes can be running at the same time? Is it possible
    > > for multiple running processes to duplicate themselves? By the way
    > > I tried terminating both of these processes duplicates but that
    > > didn't work and I also noticed that the two duplicate processes use
    > > far less memory than the originals. If it helps the two running
    > > processes would be mcvsftsn.exe and rphelperapp.exe. Thanks

    3 - 5 instances of svchost.exe is not out of the ordinary. I have three
    running.

    If you have XP Pro, open a command prompt...

    Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |

    Type or paste this in the command prompt window:

    tasklist /svc

    Hit your Enter key.

    Look at svchost.exe to see what's running under it.

    For example...
    RpcSs
    AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, helpsvc,
    LanmanServer, LanmanWorkstation, Netman,
    Schedule, TermService, winmgmt
    Dnscache

    [[Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each
    Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate
    services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started.]]

    see...
    A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

    Save whatever needs saving and experiment.

    Try closing all of them. Some XP won't let you close. One will give you 60
    seconds to save your work. ;-)

    If you close explorer.exe you will lose the Desktop and Taskbar, but
    explorer can be restarted in Task Manager. Ctrl + Shift + Escape | File |
    New Task (Run...)

    New Task (Run...) is the same as the Start | Run box or Windows key + R.

    There is no stock answer. Some processes XP needs to keep running.
    AntiVirus and Firewall programs you would want to keep running as long as
    you are on-line.

    Here are a couple of links to look up services and startups...

    Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations by
    Black Viper
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    CastleCops - StartupList
    http://computercops.biz/slet-a.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:492C5078-E5BC-4C65-9974-4BD14BA7A573@microsoft.com,
    ZenZero <ZenZero@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > i have that problem too like svchost.exe appears about 4 times...
    > is that normal?
    >
    > is there a list of safe processes to close? or is there an average
    > amount of processes that should be running at once?
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Open Notepad any number of times and see how many show up in Task
    >> Manager. It depends on the program.
    >>
    >> I have no idea on these. One of them running would be too many for
    >> me.
    >>
    >> mcvsftsn.exe is a process belonging to the McAfee VirusScan online
    >> utility
    >>
    >> rphelperapp.exe is part of RealPlayer from real.com.
    >>
    >> rphelperapp.exe is located in C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:63F93550-1A03-4D4B-9172-36D8EF4B954B@microsoft.com,
    >> spursfan <spursfan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I noticed that there are two of the same processes currently running
    >>> at the same time in the task manager, how is it possible that two
    >>> of the same processes can be running at the same time? Is it
    >>> possible for multiple running processes to duplicate themselves?
    >>> By the way I tried terminating both of these processes duplicates
    >>> but that didn't work and I also noticed that the two duplicate
    >>> processes use far less memory than the originals. If it helps the
    >>> two running processes would be mcvsftsn.exe and rphelperapp.exe.
    >>> Thanks

    Svchosts.exe Added by the SDBOT.N TROJAN!

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:492C5078-E5BC-4C65-9974-4BD14BA7A573@microsoft.com,
    > ZenZero <ZenZero@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > i have that problem too like svchost.exe appears about 4 times...
    > > is that normal?
    > >
    > > is there a list of safe processes to close? or is there an average
    > > amount of processes that should be running at once?
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Open Notepad any number of times and see how many show up in Task
    > >> Manager. It depends on the program.
    > >>
    > >> I have no idea on these. One of them running would be too many for
    > >> me.
    > >>
    > >> mcvsftsn.exe is a process belonging to the McAfee VirusScan online
    > >> utility
    > >>
    > >> rphelperapp.exe is part of RealPlayer from real.com.
    > >>
    > >> rphelperapp.exe is located in C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\

    check whether it's in MSCONFIG or the registry first. An example would be
    "svchost.exe" - which doesn't appear in either under normal conditions but
    does via CTRL+ALT+DEL. If in doubt, don't do anything.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > > amount of processes that should be running at once?
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Open Notepad any number of times and see how many show up in Task
    > >> Manager. It depends on the program.
    > >>
    > >> I have no idea on these. One of them running would be too many for
    > >> me.
    > >>
    > >> mcvsftsn.exe is a process belonging to the McAfee VirusScan online
    > >> utility
    > >>
    > >> rphelperapp.exe is part of RealPlayer from real.com.
    > >>
    > >> rphelperapp.exe is located in C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:63F93550-1A03-4D4B-9172-36D8EF4B954B@microsoft.com,
    > >> spursfan <spursfan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Svchosts.exe Added by the SDBOT.N TROJAN!

    It is also a normal system process!

    "raymond" wrote:

    > Svchosts.exe Added by the SDBOT.N TROJAN!
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    > > 3 - 5 instances of svchost.exe is not out of the ordinary. I have three
    > > running.
    > >
    > > If you have XP Pro, open a command prompt...
    > >
    > > Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
    > >
    > > Type or paste this in the command prompt window:
    > >
    > > tasklist /svc
    > >
    > > Hit your Enter key.
    > >
    > > Look at svchost.exe to see what's running under it.
    > >
    > > For example...
    > > RpcSs
    > > AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, helpsvc,
    > > LanmanServer, LanmanWorkstation, Netman,
    > > Schedule, TermService, winmgmt
    > > Dnscache
    > >
    > > [[Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each
    > > Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate
    > > services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started.]]
    > >
    > > see...
    > > A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056
    > >
    > > Save whatever needs saving and experiment.
    > >
    > > Try closing all of them. Some XP won't let you close. One will give you 60
    > > seconds to save your work. ;-)
    > >
    > > If you close explorer.exe you will lose the Desktop and Taskbar, but
    > > explorer can be restarted in Task Manager. Ctrl + Shift + Escape | File |
    > > New Task (Run...)
    > >
    > > New Task (Run...) is the same as the Start | Run box or Windows key + R.
    > >
    > > There is no stock answer. Some processes XP needs to keep running.
    > > AntiVirus and Firewall programs you would want to keep running as long as
    > > you are on-line.
    > >
    > > Here are a couple of links to look up services and startups...
    > >
    > > Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations by
    > > Black Viper
    > > http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    > >
    > > CastleCops - StartupList
    > > http://computercops.biz/slet-a.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:492C5078-E5BC-4C65-9974-4BD14BA7A573@microsoft.com,
    > > ZenZero <ZenZero@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > > i have that problem too like svchost.exe appears about 4 times...
    > > > is that normal?
    > > >
    > > > is there a list of safe processes to close? or is there an average
    > > > amount of processes that should be running at once?

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP