Help with my first gaming rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychlade

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hello, everyone! This is my first post here, but I've been reading through this site for a while now. I need some advice for my first custom gaming rig. I'm going in order of the recommended help section:

I don't have a particular budget in mind, but I would like on average at least 40 FPS w/ this system.

For the parts, I don't need a new keyboard, mouse or speakers. I'll just use the generic ones I have. As far as preferred websites, I like Newegg the best. I'm located in the USA.

These are the parts I have in mind:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k Quad http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

GPU: nVidia GTX 560 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130683

As you can see, that's about as far as I've got.
I don't know about motherboards or PSUs, but I do know I would like a quad-SLI compatible one, at the least. I won't skimp out here, so please recommend the best mobo for my rig if you can, as well as PSU. I don't really care about the case all that much. :)

I'm not sure on a specific monitor, all I know is that I want a flatscreen capable of 1680x1050. As far as Overclocking, I don't want to spend a fortune just to be able to do it, but if it's only 40 or 50 bucks more, I won't mind.

I definitely want SLI. I plan on quad-SLI within the next year or so, but for now I want to stay with just 1 or 2 GTX 560s.

Thanks, you guys!

Solution
^ +1 I believe that to be a much closer to reality that trying to future proof with 3xsli etc

so today you're running that huge PSU just for the waste of it. later on you have to buy a card that's fraction of performance of the latest just to match the performance of the latest.

it's like you're going from point A to C. So you can go from point A to B on a horse and then from B to C in a car. Instead you're choosing to go from A to B with a horse and a wagon and from B to C you add 3 more horses to your wagon.

simply put, you're choosing to invest more today, so you can invest more in the old technology down the line instead of upgrading to newer more efficient hardware.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
There is absolutely no reason to go SLI (be it dual, tri or quad) with a monitor running 1680x1050.

You should aim for a monitor with at least Full HD resolution (1920x1080) or above.

As for motherboard, try finding a board with an Intel Z68 chipset.

If you're going for SLI later, you should not be cheap when finding a PSU. I would recommend something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139034

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

2 GTX 560Tis will cost more than 1 GTX 580. The 2 cards in SLI will likely perform better, but if the OP adds another GTX 580 in SLI later on then it'll be a much better rig. In general, the best option with GPUs is to get the best card you can with the money you want to spend in the first pass, then SLI later on. The only exception to that right now is the 448 core GTX 560Ti as it's limited edition...but if the OP wants to quad-SLI later on, the 560Ti isn't the card to use as it can only dual-SLI AFAIK.

Psychlade

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

For now yes, but I'm trying to future-proof my rig a little with a system that can run tri-SLI. Your right, I'm fine now, but I'm looking ahead. :)

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Don't bother with SLI with higher-end graphic cards. Those cards rarely go down in price due to low initial production levels. Plus SLI/Xfire has its fair share of problems (A lot of incidents where AAA titles failed to initially have multi GPU support) and micro-stuttering.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Generally what happens is the following.

Buy high end card (card a)

*a year or so passes and you can no longer max the latest games*

Card b is now out with the same performance as card a in SLI for the same price or less.

SLI'ing card a would increase power consumption and heat for the same performance as card b.

^ +1 I believe that to be a much closer to reality that trying to future proof with 3xsli etc

so today you're running that huge PSU just for the waste of it. later on you have to buy a card that's fraction of performance of the latest just to match the performance of the latest.

it's like you're going from point A to C. So you can go from point A to B on a horse and then from B to C in a car. Instead you're choosing to go from A to B with a horse and a wagon and from B to C you add 3 more horses to your wagon.

simply put, you're choosing to invest more today, so you can invest more in the old technology down the line instead of upgrading to newer more efficient hardware.

Solution

Psychlade

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
That's a good point. Yeah, the 560(s) seem like the better deal now, plus a lot less microstuttering.

So, with the i5 2500k, and 2 GTX 560s

What would be the best motherboard/PSU for it? I have this mobo in mind: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

I know it's a bit overkill(expensive mobo, too), but any suggestions would be welcome, because I'm not a computer 'god'. :)

Thanks, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.