Anyone know of any excellent First Person Shooters recently released?

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I played the Elite Force 2 demo and for some reason I felt like I was playing a rehashed Jedi Knight 2. Although this could be a good thing considering JK2 was a solid game. More puzzle crap.

Aside from EF2, there's really nothing new. The next FPS' to be released are Chaser and Chrome which come out 08/19/03. Unless you are a sinner, in which case you can get Chaser now, <A HREF="http://forum.sharereactor.com/viewtopic.php?t=152373" target="_new">here</A>.

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Also both games are built on top of the Quake ]|[ game engine (which ain't necessarily a bad thing :cool: ).

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Yea, they aren't HL2/D3 caliber. But probably pretty solid nonetheless.

Actually there is an FPS I would definately recommend. Devastation. If nothing else, graphically this game almost feels like pre-beta-HalfLife 2. Some pretty solid visuals, assuming your hardware is up to the task. I was able to achieve pretty solid framerates and medium/high quality with AXP 1500, (2)256mb PC2100, and Ti4200 64mb.

Oh, you also might wanna check out Will Rock. This FPS is literally a Serious Sam clone. Not as solid visually or gameplay wise, but still fun if you like the mindless first-person shooter.

--

assuming your hardware is up to the task
Actually I'm looking for something seriously hardware challenging.
MSI KT4VL
AMD XP 2700+ Tbred
Corsair 512Mb XMS2700CL2
ATI 9800 Pro
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Dual 40Gig Maxtors 7200Rpm ATA/133
Antec 430W True Power
WinXP Pro SP1 on one drive
Win98SE on the other(for older games)
DVDROM
TDK CDRW

I haven't found anything yet this system can't run.

Oh, you also might wanna check out Will Rock. This FPS is literally a Serious Sam clone. Not as solid visually or gameplay wise, but still fun if you like the mindless first-person shooter.
I just downloaded the Will Rock demo, so far its been kinda lame.

I really like the intenseness of games like Aliens Versus Predator 2 w Primal Hunt expansion pack, do you know of anything close along those lines, other games seem pale in comparison, to those types of FPS, I love the type games when you have to tell yourself, alright calm down, its just a game. SOF 1&2 was pretty good, I liked 1 better than 2, Serious Sam 1&2 to me was just plain fun, I liked 2 better than 1, now Medal of Honor Allied Assault was good, but I don't care for the spying part, I just like to blow the hell out of whatevers in the way of my objective, and be done with it. Red Faction 1 was good, have you tried 2? Is it worth messing with? I'm not completely a mindless FPS fan, I do like for the game to have challenges and obstacles to overcome, thats why for a long time the AvPs have been intriguing to me, Any suggestions?

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
That system should definately not give you any hurdles anytime soon ryan.

Red Faction 2, I didn't get too far into it, but it wasn't half bad. Not the uber-graphical update I was hoping for after RF1. But I bet with everything maxed it looks pretty solid.

There is an expansion to MOHAA which you've probably seen. WAY too short though. Only like 3-4 missions.

--

I just downloaded the TRON 2 demo, going to look for the Breed Demo you mentioned. Thanks

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
The lightcycles are addicting. Remember I play as "Dirk". I would like to see some people from Tom's play that game.

--

dhlucke

Polypheme
I briefly checked out Splinter Cell. It looks good and is pretty advanced but I didn't play it very much and didn't get out of 3rd person view.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>

Actually I bought Splinter Cell and was dissatisfied with it, it reminded me of the Tomb Raider Engine, I like the full control of the true FPS engines over that style, Graphics were good though, I traded it in for SOF2.

MrBurns

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
I also got Splinter Cell, but it doesnt run on my system (see here: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/games/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7926#7926 ).

I would recommend UT2k3, if you like that style of FPS, or Unreal 2 if you like the classical style more. If you consider Splinter Cell as recently released, you could also consider UT2k3 as recently released.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Creative GeForce 4 Ti 4800 (4600 Chip)
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner