Thoughts on MS Microsoft AntiSpyware beta

Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results regarding
the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to remove all or even most
adware components.

http://windowssecrets.com/050127/

Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts with
any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better at finding
things? Other thoughts?
17 answers Last reply
More about thoughts microsoft antispyware beta

    Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Mark Williams wrote:
    > Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results
    > regarding the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to remove
    > all or even most adware components.
    >
    > http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
    >
    > Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts
    > with any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better
    > at finding things? Other thoughts?

    MS AntiSpyware Beta has components of Giant AntiSpyware in it - as Microsoft
    bought them.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    The Spyware Warrior Guide to
    Anti-Spyware Programs: Feature Comparison
    http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm#table

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:sMcNd.8409$Th1.5822@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    Mark Williams <MarkWilliams@att.net> hunted and pecked:

    "Mark Williams" wrote:

    > Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results regarding
    > the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to remove all or even most
    > adware components.
    >
    > http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
    >
    > Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts with
    > any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better at finding
    > things? Other thoughts?

    Well MS Antispyeare is great and i am happy that microsoft find spyware bad
    becoues its just as bad as virus and "CNET 5 STARS" its very nice and stable
    the first stable thing that microsoft has made. Easy to use and iI recomand
    it and its free. People need to know that SPYWARE IS BAD

    "Mark Williams" wrote:

    > Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts with
    > any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better at finding
    > things? Other thoughts?

    I have, for the last month or so. So far, so good. You should still
    supplement it with an antivirus program that includes spyware detection (e.g.
    Norton 2005, Trend Micro) and Ad-Aware.

    Ken

    I have this suspicion that much fly-posted anti-spyware is actually
    spyware. I also installed a very impressive program called Dr something
    recommended by the CNet website and found it producing so many spurious
    messages when I wans't even using or connected to the internat that I
    uninstalled it quick.

    --
    Neil

    Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

    "Mark Williams" <MarkWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    | Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results
    regarding
    | the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to remove all or
    even most
    | adware components.
    |
    | http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
    |
    | Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts
    with
    | any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better at
    finding
    | things? Other thoughts?

    I tried MS Antispyware.. removed it quickly after losing my internet
    connection and find that both my McAfee and Windows Firewalls had been
    totally disabled by the installation.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada,
    "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    >I have this suspicion that much fly-posted anti-spyware is actually
    > spyware. I also installed a very impressive program called Dr something
    > recommended by the CNet website and found it producing so many spurious
    > messages when I wans't even using or connected to the internat that I
    > uninstalled it quick.
    >
    > --
    > Neil
    >
    > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)
    >

    > "Mark Williams" <MarkWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    > | Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results
    > regarding
    > | the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to remove all or
    > even most
    > | adware components.
    > |
    > | http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
    > |
    > | Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts
    > with
    > | any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better at
    > finding
    > | things? Other thoughts?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Peter wrote:
    > I tried MS Antispyware.. removed it quickly after losing my internet
    > connection and find that both my McAfee and Windows Firewalls had been
    > totally disabled by the installation.

    Why are you running two software firewalls?
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Why are you running two firewalls?

    [[Q. Should I use both Internet Connection Firewall and a software firewall
    from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
    A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home
    computers, home networking, and small business networking scenarios.
    Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with
    connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall,
    whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or different
    software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer.]]

    Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp

    -----

    Most of the Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock
    settings. Windows sockets settings may get corrupted due to the removal of
    spyware.

    This has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta). Any
    method of removing some spyware programs may result in losing the internet
    connection.

    There are known spyware programs that install layered service providers
    (LSPs) on computers to gather user data. When the spyware programs are
    removed, the spyware-based LSPs are also removed. The LSPs are not restored
    after removal.

    There are several known fixes for this problem.

    netsh winsock reset for XP SP2

    WinsockFix.zip. (by: Option^Explicit)
    http://members.shaw.ca/installations/WinsockFix.zip

    LSP-Fix
    Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet
    software, that result in loss of Internet access
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Repair/Reset Winsock settings
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

    After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-related
    problems, or you receive an error message
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23$tHAdGDFHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Peter <Ex-Brit ATrogers DOTcom (adjust accordingly)> hunted and pecked:
    > I tried MS Antispyware.. removed it quickly after losing my internet
    > connection and find that both my McAfee and Windows Firewalls had been
    > totally disabled by the installation.
    >
    > --
    > Peter.
    > Toronto, Canada,
    > XP Home SP2.
    > Pentium 4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
    > "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    >> I have this suspicion that much fly-posted anti-spyware is actually
    >> spyware. I also installed a very impressive program called Dr
    >> something recommended by the CNet website and found it producing so
    >> many spurious messages when I wans't even using or connected to the
    >> internat that I uninstalled it quick.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neil
    >>
    >> Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to
    >> dot)
    >>

    >> "Mark Williams" <MarkWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    >>> Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results
    >>> regarding the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to
    >>> remove all or even most adware components.
    >>>
    >>> http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any
    >>> conflicts with any other software? How well does it work? Is it
    >>> really better at finding things? Other thoughts?
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I wasn't. McAfee automatically turns WF off. But after the antispyware
    installation I lost McAfee and the Windows Firewall refused to enable. I had
    to uninstall MS AntiSpyware & McAfee then reinstall the latter. Now
    everything is fine. I disconnected from the www during that operation
    naturally.
    I use Adaware SE, Spybot S & D, CWShredder, TrojanRemover and SpywareBlaster
    in addition to McAfee Firewall/Viruscan/Privacy Svc. so the download of the
    MS product was really only for a look-see.

    --
    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    >> I tried MS Antispyware.. removed it quickly after losing my internet
    >> connection and find that both my McAfee and Windows Firewalls had been
    >> totally disabled by the installation.
    >>

    > Why are you running two software firewalls?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I"ve had Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) for about a month now. It is
    running successfully along with McAffee Antivirus and Firewall (Windows
    Firewall disabled of course), Spybot Search & Destroy, CW Shredder, Trojan
    Remover, AdAware. I did once need to run the winsock repair command to
    correct my internet connection but since then, all is well.

    RJJ

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > > I tried MS Antispyware.. removed it quickly after losing my internet
    > > connection and find that both my McAfee and Windows Firewalls had been
    > > totally disabled by the installation.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Peter.
    > > Toronto, Canada,
    > > XP Home SP2.
    > > Pentium 4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
    > > "Neil Howie" <neil.howie@Ireportallspam.net> wrote in message
    > >> I have this suspicion that much fly-posted anti-spyware is actually
    > >> spyware. I also installed a very impressive program called Dr
    > >> something recommended by the CNet website and found it producing so
    > >> many spurious messages when I wans't even using or connected to the
    > >> internat that I uninstalled it quick.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Neil
    > >>
    > >> Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I've been using it for over two months. I haven't found any
    incompatibilities - BUT it always lists my Mozilla Firefox
    as an IE hijacker until I tell it to "don't do it again".

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    No problems using it and my machine doesn't seem to get attacked anymore. It
    seemed to patch up the last of the holes in XP Pro. In addition to MS
    AntiSpyware, I use:

    Spybot
    SpywareBlaster
    McAfee Antivirus
    McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
    Windows Firewall from SP2
    DSL Router Hardware Firewall

    "Mark Williams" wrote:

    > Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results regarding
    > the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to remove all or even most
    > adware components.
    >
    > http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
    >
    > Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts with
    > any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better at finding
    > things? Other thoughts?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Actually. it's a pretty damn good program. Problem is, there are a lot of
    cynical weirdoes out there that dismiss anything connected to MS.

    "Mark Williams" <MarkWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    > Brian Livingston Windows Secret newsletter had alarming results regarding
    > the effectiveness of anti-adware products failing to remove all or even
    > most
    > adware components.
    >
    > http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
    >
    > Has anyone been testing MS Microsoft AntiSpware beta? Any conflicts with
    > any other software? How well does it work? Is it really better at
    > finding
    > things? Other thoughts?

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Well, I'm very impressed with this effort form Microsoft, even if they did
    buy the technology from another software house (at least I have been led to
    believe this from other webpages' review of the beta). Microsoft made a very
    good choice and an excellent decision to take this challange into their own
    hands (at long last).

    Anyway, hear is my protection:

    SP2 with the software firewall running!
    Trillian antivirus (came free with my motherboard!)
    ADSL Router firewall.
    Spyware Blaster.
    Spybot search and destroy.

    Recently Spybot discovered spyware on my PC and was unable to remove it no
    matter what I tried (even from safemode as admin). But immediatly AntiSpyware
    detected the aforementioned spyware and described it in detail. I was then
    allowed to remove it, much to my delight as it was causing my computer to
    crawl.

    Also I am very impressed with their strategy of informing the user of any
    intentions of software trying to install on your computer. This helped me
    discover what program I had which was installing this spyware.

    A great piece of software to add to my collection of tools for preventing
    people from abusing my computer and my rights!!! I just hope when Microsoft
    ship the release version that don't decide to charge for it. (Yes I am tight!
    but I shouldn't have to pay for privacy)
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    i removed it also, just went back to usin my same antispy programs.
    good luck in removing it from ur registry, if u go to registry look
    for a listing named giant company, thats microsoft
    antispyware.

Microsoft Components Windows XP