EQ II - Help needed making macro

Last response: in Video Games
December 20, 2004 2:44:17 PM

As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group what I am
casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.

I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked macro to
my spell key...

Any help?

More about : needed making macro

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 9:10:10 PM

"Lumpy" <mechanicfalls@adelphias.net> wrote in

> As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group what I
> am casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.
>
> I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked
> macro to my spell key...
>
> Any help?

As a person who has been in groups with people with such macros, don't do
it. It's highly annoying the 50th time you see the same message.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 3:56:30 AM

if you know could you give us some information.

i wouldnt mind making some thing like this for some spells. like mezz
"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "Lumpy" <mechanicfalls@adelphias.net> wrote in
>
> > As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group what I
> > am casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.
> >
> > I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked
> > macro to my spell key...
> >
> > Any help?
> >

> As a person who has been in groups with people with such macros, don't do
> it. It's highly annoying the 50th time you see the same message.
>
> --
> On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons
>
> On Steamfont
> Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar
December 21, 2004 11:27:03 AM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:44:17 -0500, Lumpy wrote:

> As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group what I am
> casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.
>
> I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked macro to
> my spell key...
>
> Any help?

Try this: http://eq2arcane.com/commands.html
Look toward the bottom of the page.
--
RJB
12/21/2004 8:26:46 AM

The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
the fact that it was he who by peddling second-hand, second-rate
technology, led them all into it in the first place.
--Douglas Adams Author, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:35:04 PM

"Dark Warrior_" <dark_warrior_@-_N-O-_S-P-A-M_-ntlworld.com> wrote in
> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> "Lumpy" <mechanicfalls@adelphias.net> wrote in
>>
>> > As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group
>> > what I am casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.
>> >
>> > I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked
>> > macro to my spell key...
>> >
>> > Any help?
>> >

>> As a person who has been in groups with people with such macros,
>> don't do it. It's highly annoying the 50th time you see the same
>> message.
>
> if you know could you give us some information.
>
> i wouldnt mind making some thing like this for some spells. like mezz

Please don't toppost here.

I don't know how to make them off hand in EQ2, as I was sufficiently
annoyed with them from EQ1 that I never bothered to check if they can be
done in EQ2.

For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing out
heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying. Everyone
should be assumed to be capable of doing their job in the group until
proven otherwise, more spam to inform us that you are doing your job is
just annoying. Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which
mob(s) are being mezzed.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:14:16 PM

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing out
>heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying.

Mezzes too. If you're with a competent 'chanter, it's just as reasonable to
assume that adds are under control as it is to assume that the shaman has
slowed or is slowing the target. She'll tell you if there's a problem and
you need to do something, (you can also tell by the "splat" sound as she gets
pummelled)...

These macros are just irksome.

>Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which
>mob(s) are being mezzed.

And even for this, it doesn't work well. Too many mobs with the same name,
and just enough resists/stuns/interrupts to make a macro tied to a cast
misleading and confusing.

Just don't do it.

The only times people need to know which are mezzed is when some aren't. It's
far better to have a hotkey to announce those as needed. If you like cutesy
spam, this is your chance: "Please offtank %T, it's too cranky to sleep."

It's far less annoying, and carries actual useful information.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/&gt;
Anonymous

dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote in

> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>>For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing
>>out heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying.
>
> Mezzes too. If you're with a competent 'chanter, it's just as
> reasonable to assume that adds are under control as it is to assume
> that the shaman has slowed or is slowing the target. She'll tell you
> if there's a problem and you need to do something, (you can also tell
> by the "splat" sound as she gets pummelled)...
>
> These macros are just irksome.
>
>>Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which mob(s) are
>>being mezzed.
>
> And even for this, it doesn't work well. Too many mobs with the same
> name, and just enough resists/stuns/interrupts to make a macro tied to
> a cast misleading and confusing.
>
> Just don't do it.
>
> The only times people need to know which are mezzed is when some
> aren't. It's far better to have a hotkey to announce those as needed.
> If you like cutesy spam, this is your chance: "Please offtank %T,
> it's too cranky to sleep."
>
> It's far less annoying, and carries actual useful information.

True, in the end, the point is to get the needed information across
without constantly getting the same spam over and over again.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 7:30:03 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:14:16 -0800, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote:

>Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>>For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing out
>>heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying.
>
>Mezzes too. If you're with a competent 'chanter, it's just as reasonable to
>assume that adds are under control as it is to assume that the shaman has
>slowed or is slowing the target. She'll tell you if there's a problem and
>you need to do something, (you can also tell by the "splat" sound as she gets
>pummelled)...
>
>These macros are just irksome.
>
>>Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which
>>mob(s) are being mezzed.
>
>And even for this, it doesn't work well. Too many mobs with the same name,
>and just enough resists/stuns/interrupts to make a macro tied to a cast
>misleading and confusing.
>
>Just don't do it.
>
>The only times people need to know which are mezzed is when some aren't. It's
>far better to have a hotkey to announce those as needed. If you like cutesy
>spam, this is your chance: "Please offtank %T, it's too cranky to sleep."
>
>It's far less annoying, and carries actual useful information.

I have to disagree. For mezzes it's pretty critical. In some cases,
people don't even notice that there is an add. Not necessarily
because they are crummy players, but due to lag or strange pathing or
whatever. Also, it's not unusual that a mob will appear to continue
to move or attack after I've mezzed it. The last thing I need is
someone deciding to "off-tank" (my least favorite word) right as my
mez lands.

I'll usually use my macro key the first time and then silently remez
if necessary, but if we get lots of adds, and I think that the tank or
puller has lost track of the count, I'll announce remezzes as well.
Keeping track of crowd control is absolutely critical.

I agree that using macros to announce bufs or slows is generally not
necessary, EXCEPT when you have multiple group members who can perform
the same task. Example: my chanter normally slows, but if we get
multiples it's way more critical to mez the adds than to slow one of
them. So in that case the beast or shammy can slow. Announcing the
slows avoids wasting mana.

If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you shouldn't
be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why this is such
a big issue for people.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 8:55:20 PM

murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in
> I agree that using macros to announce bufs or slows is generally not
> necessary, EXCEPT when you have multiple group members who can perform
> the same task. Example: my chanter normally slows, but if we get
> multiples it's way more critical to mez the adds than to slow one of
> them. So in that case the beast or shammy can slow. Announcing the
> slows avoids wasting mana.

Well, if you have a shaman in the group, he should be doing the slows
anyway. Except for a very small level range, shaman slow is better than
any other slow. The difference is not huge, but, so long as he's
there...

The only time I use a macro to announce it is on the major raid targets.

> If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you shouldn't
> be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why this is such
> a big issue for people.

It just gets annoying after a while to see the same stupid "cute" message
over and over again.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar
December 27, 2004 10:42:06 PM

Graeme Faelban wrote:

>> If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you
>> shouldn't be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why
>> this is such a big issue for people.
>
> It just gets annoying after a while to see the same stupid "cute"
> message over and over again.

"Cute" is annoying; knowing a slow has landed or
a CHeal is coming or an add has been mezzed is
useful, at least in many situations. I've always
called CHeal, simply to avoid backup healers
wasting mana. Slow is another I like to hear; it
tells me when I need to recalculate damage rate
so I can save mana. And so on...

But, yes, it's the "Putting %T to sleep, someone
get it's blanky!!" messages repeated over and over
since it's attached to the cast, not the success,
that's annoying enough to make you go solo.. :D
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:56:32 PM

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:iAZzd.191912$6w6.51613
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> Graeme Faelban wrote:
>
>>> If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you
>>> shouldn't be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why
>>> this is such a big issue for people.
>>
>> It just gets annoying after a while to see the same stupid "cute"
>> message over and over again.
>
> "Cute" is annoying; knowing a slow has landed or
> a CHeal is coming or an add has been mezzed is
> useful, at least in many situations. I've always
> called CHeal, simply to avoid backup healers
> wasting mana. Slow is another I like to hear; it
> tells me when I need to recalculate damage rate
> so I can save mana. And so on...
>
> But, yes, it's the "Putting %T to sleep, someone
> get it's blanky!!" messages repeated over and over
> since it's attached to the cast, not the success,
> that's annoying enough to make you go solo.. :D

I find that other than on raids, people only need to know if something is
not going as expected. If I get resists slowing, then the healer, and
possibly others in the group need to know, so I let them know. If I am
not getting resisted, then they assume that I am slowing, and that
everything is going as expected. I really don't need to know when the
cleric casts a CHeal, I assume he is doing his job, if I see the tank
getting precariously low on HP, I toss a heal on him, worst case, I've
wasted a small amount of mana. I always assume that the rest of the
group is doing their job, which in general they are.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar