EQ II - Help needed making macro

As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group what I am
casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.

I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked macro to
my spell key...

Any help?
10 answers Last reply
More about needed making macro

    "Lumpy" <mechanicfalls@adelphias.net> wrote in

    > As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group what I
    > am casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.
    >
    > I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked
    > macro to my spell key...
    >
    > Any help?

    As a person who has been in groups with people with such macros, don't do
    it. It's highly annoying the 50th time you see the same message.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar

    if you know could you give us some information.

    i wouldnt mind making some thing like this for some spells. like mezz

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:44:17 -0500, Lumpy wrote:

    > As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group what I am
    > casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.
    >
    > I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked macro to
    > my spell key...
    >
    > Any help?

    Try this: http://eq2arcane.com/commands.html
    Look toward the bottom of the page.
    --
    RJB
    12/21/2004 8:26:46 AM

    The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
    lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
    the fact that it was he who by peddling second-hand, second-rate
    technology, led them all into it in the first place.
    --Douglas Adams Author, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

    "Dark Warrior_" <dark_warrior_@-_N-O-_S-P-A-M_-ntlworld.com> wrote in
    > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> "Lumpy" <mechanicfalls@adelphias.net> wrote in
    >>
    >> > As a mystic, I would very much like to be able to tell my group
    >> > what I am casting, its effect and on who, each time I cast.
    >> >
    >> > I don't seem to be able to find the method for making such a linked
    >> > macro to my spell key...
    >> >
    >> > Any help?
    >> >

    >> As a person who has been in groups with people with such macros,
    >> don't do it. It's highly annoying the 50th time you see the same
    >> message.
    >
    > if you know could you give us some information.
    >
    > i wouldnt mind making some thing like this for some spells. like mezz

    Please don't toppost here.

    I don't know how to make them off hand in EQ2, as I was sufficiently
    annoyed with them from EQ1 that I never bothered to check if they can be
    done in EQ2.

    For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing out
    heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying. Everyone
    should be assumed to be capable of doing their job in the group until
    proven otherwise, more spam to inform us that you are doing your job is
    just annoying. Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which
    mob(s) are being mezzed.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar

    Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing out
    >heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying.

    Mezzes too. If you're with a competent 'chanter, it's just as reasonable to
    assume that adds are under control as it is to assume that the shaman has
    slowed or is slowing the target. She'll tell you if there's a problem and
    you need to do something, (you can also tell by the "splat" sound as she gets
    pummelled)...

    These macros are just irksome.

    >Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which
    >mob(s) are being mezzed.

    And even for this, it doesn't work well. Too many mobs with the same name,
    and just enough resists/stuns/interrupts to make a macro tied to a cast
    misleading and confusing.

    Just don't do it.

    The only times people need to know which are mezzed is when some aren't. It's
    far better to have a hotkey to announce those as needed. If you like cutesy
    spam, this is your chance: "Please offtank %T, it's too cranky to sleep."

    It's far less annoying, and carries actual useful information.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote in

    > Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing
    >>out heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying.
    >
    > Mezzes too. If you're with a competent 'chanter, it's just as
    > reasonable to assume that adds are under control as it is to assume
    > that the shaman has slowed or is slowing the target. She'll tell you
    > if there's a problem and you need to do something, (you can also tell
    > by the "splat" sound as she gets pummelled)...
    >
    > These macros are just irksome.
    >
    >>Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which mob(s) are
    >>being mezzed.
    >
    > And even for this, it doesn't work well. Too many mobs with the same
    > name, and just enough resists/stuns/interrupts to make a macro tied to
    > a cast misleading and confusing.
    >
    > Just don't do it.
    >
    > The only times people need to know which are mezzed is when some
    > aren't. It's far better to have a hotkey to announce those as needed.
    > If you like cutesy spam, this is your chance: "Please offtank %T,
    > it's too cranky to sleep."
    >
    > It's far less annoying, and carries actual useful information.

    True, in the end, the point is to get the needed information across
    without constantly getting the same spam over and over again.

    --

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:14:16 -0800, dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote:

    >Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>For something like Mez, I can see the usefulness of this, for tossing out
    >>heals and buffs and even slows, it just gets damned annoying.
    >
    >Mezzes too. If you're with a competent 'chanter, it's just as reasonable to
    >assume that adds are under control as it is to assume that the shaman has
    >slowed or is slowing the target. She'll tell you if there's a problem and
    >you need to do something, (you can also tell by the "splat" sound as she gets
    >pummelled)...
    >
    >These macros are just irksome.
    >
    >>Mezzes are different, in that it is useful to know which
    >>mob(s) are being mezzed.
    >
    >And even for this, it doesn't work well. Too many mobs with the same name,
    >and just enough resists/stuns/interrupts to make a macro tied to a cast
    >misleading and confusing.
    >
    >Just don't do it.
    >
    >The only times people need to know which are mezzed is when some aren't. It's
    >far better to have a hotkey to announce those as needed. If you like cutesy
    >spam, this is your chance: "Please offtank %T, it's too cranky to sleep."
    >
    >It's far less annoying, and carries actual useful information.

    I have to disagree. For mezzes it's pretty critical. In some cases,
    people don't even notice that there is an add. Not necessarily
    because they are crummy players, but due to lag or strange pathing or
    whatever. Also, it's not unusual that a mob will appear to continue
    to move or attack after I've mezzed it. The last thing I need is
    someone deciding to "off-tank" (my least favorite word) right as my
    mez lands.

    I'll usually use my macro key the first time and then silently remez
    if necessary, but if we get lots of adds, and I think that the tank or
    puller has lost track of the count, I'll announce remezzes as well.
    Keeping track of crowd control is absolutely critical.

    I agree that using macros to announce bufs or slows is generally not
    necessary, EXCEPT when you have multiple group members who can perform
    the same task. Example: my chanter normally slows, but if we get
    multiples it's way more critical to mez the adds than to slow one of
    them. So in that case the beast or shammy can slow. Announcing the
    slows avoids wasting mana.

    If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you shouldn't
    be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why this is such
    a big issue for people.

    murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > I agree that using macros to announce bufs or slows is generally not
    > necessary, EXCEPT when you have multiple group members who can perform
    > the same task. Example: my chanter normally slows, but if we get
    > multiples it's way more critical to mez the adds than to slow one of
    > them. So in that case the beast or shammy can slow. Announcing the
    > slows avoids wasting mana.

    Well, if you have a shaman in the group, he should be doing the slows
    anyway. Except for a very small level range, shaman slow is better than
    any other slow. The difference is not huge, but, so long as he's
    there...

    The only time I use a macro to announce it is on the major raid targets.

    > If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you shouldn't
    > be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why this is such
    > a big issue for people.

    It just gets annoying after a while to see the same stupid "cute" message
    over and over again.

    --

    Graeme Faelban wrote:

    >> If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you
    >> shouldn't be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why
    >> this is such a big issue for people.
    >
    > It just gets annoying after a while to see the same stupid "cute"
    > message over and over again.

    "Cute" is annoying; knowing a slow has landed or
    a CHeal is coming or an add has been mezzed is
    useful, at least in many situations. I've always
    called CHeal, simply to avoid backup healers
    wasting mana. Slow is another I like to hear; it
    tells me when I need to recalculate damage rate
    so I can save mana. And so on...

    But, yes, it's the "Putting %T to sleep, someone
    get it's blanky!!" messages repeated over and over
    since it's attached to the cast, not the success,
    that's annoying enough to make you go solo.. :D

    "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:iAZzd.191912$6w6.51613
    @tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

    > Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >
    >>> If you have all of your group talk in a separate window, you
    >>> shouldn't be seeing a whole lot of spam anyway, so I'm not sure why
    >>> this is such a big issue for people.
    >>
    >> It just gets annoying after a while to see the same stupid "cute"
    >> message over and over again.
    >
    > "Cute" is annoying; knowing a slow has landed or
    > a CHeal is coming or an add has been mezzed is
    > useful, at least in many situations. I've always
    > called CHeal, simply to avoid backup healers
    > wasting mana. Slow is another I like to hear; it
    > tells me when I need to recalculate damage rate
    > so I can save mana. And so on...
    >
    > But, yes, it's the "Putting %T to sleep, someone
    > get it's blanky!!" messages repeated over and over
    > since it's attached to the cast, not the success,
    > that's annoying enough to make you go solo.. :D

    I find that other than on raids, people only need to know if something is
    not going as expected. If I get resists slowing, then the healer, and
    possibly others in the group need to know, so I let them know. If I am
    not getting resisted, then they assume that I am slowing, and that
    everything is going as expected. I really don't need to know when the
    cleric casts a CHeal, I assume he is doing his job, if I see the tank
    getting precariously low on HP, I toss a heal on him, worst case, I've
    wasted a small amount of mana. I always assume that the rest of the
    group is doing their job, which in general they are.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar