Comments about the 845D? (non flames version)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
how very sad.
i can see that chipset being very much a budget one, once they have disposed of all the shocking SDRAM versions first.

the P4X266A and SiS 645 look so nice i would consider a pentium4!

intel have been truly RIMMED by rambus. had that DDR chipset came out at the same time as the 850 and the P4, instead of being held over cauz of rambus and legal obligations, i think the introduction of the P4 would have been ALOT better for intel.
but now... definately a budget chipset and not in the legue of the others.
shame.

any other thoughts?

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

eden

Champion
I've also wanted to share my opinion about this...
Personally this chipset proves how Intel has been choking recently to find ways to regain P4 attractiveness. I thought they would give the 845D a better time, but they didn't, and instead it often turned in the last places.
Now as for VIA's now legal licensing (check the Hard News) from Intel, it has finally allowed them and us to view their chipset without feelings of repression. Their newest installment, the P4X266A, shows how they do make their "A" series worth it.
However the most attractive and excellent choice so far, is the Sis 645 one. I dunno but whoever had something on SiS in the past should leave it, cuz those guys are really awesome. They've worked a new DDR solution that is almost a door stopper on the RDRAM which seemed not to differ much from the SiS including memory benchs. If they implement SiS widely, I think the Northwood will be a very attractive CPU to most of us here. I think either SiS or the Via ones are the way to go.
Intel will have to find OEMs to catch attention, as they are losing most expert's from its side. And if it is true the pricing will be high, then I do not see how anyone would go buy something less performing than an SiS or VIA.
In the end, it doesn't matter to me, I'm getting an AthlonXP!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...