operating system removal

February 6, 2005 8:23:01 PM

i have had a computer given to me with windows 95 on it.i have installed
windows xp on it now but i thimk that i have not removed the old system as my
pc is now very slow and keeps getting stuck.how do i look to see if this is
the case and if so, how do i remove it? thank you
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:35:42 AM

Any computer originally installed with Win 95 is going to be mindlessly slow
running XP.. you are lucky that it even installed and ran.. I say lucky..
not really because it will never amount to anything..

You should either re-install Win 95 or get a much newer computer that has a
chance of running XP in a usable form..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"paul" <paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have had a computer given to me with windows 95 on it.i have installed
> windows xp on it now but i thimk that i have not removed the old system as
> my
> pc is now very slow and keeps getting stuck.how do i look to see if this
> is
> the case and if so, how do i remove it? thank you
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 5:03:22 AM

Did you install from a retail full version of xp? If so, during installtion.
you would have been asked where you wanted to install xp. As you had windows
95 that is where you would have told it to install (the C drive). You should
then of been asked to format the drive. By formatting the drive you would
have erased windows 95. As far as i am aware you cannot 'upgrade' from 95 to
XP (from98/ME yes but not 95)
Anothing thing you should take into account Windows xp takes up more
resources than windows 95. It also requires more meory and processor speed.
Although the original minimum was pentium 233mhz with 60MB memory if your
machine has that sort of configuration it will move at snail pace compared
to windows 95. You certainly need a faster processor and a minimum of 128MB
of memory. You should also have notice that windows 95 took up around
250/300MB of disk space while XP takes anything up to 2GB

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"paul" <paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have had a computer given to me with windows 95 on it.i have installed
> windows xp on it now but i thimk that i have not removed the old system as
> my
> pc is now very slow and keeps getting stuck.how do i look to see if this
> is
> the case and if so, how do i remove it? thank you
Related resources
February 8, 2005 8:35:03 AM

thank you for your help

"paul" wrote:

> i have had a computer given to me with windows 95 on it.i have installed
> windows xp on it now but i thimk that i have not removed the old system as my
> pc is now very slow and keeps getting stuck.how do i look to see if this is
> the case and if so, how do i remove it? thank you
February 8, 2005 8:35:05 AM

thank you for your help

!