Search Companion is gone!

When I click on "start", the "search" option has disapeared from my choices.
What has happened? Where did it go? Has it been disabled? How do I get it
back? Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Joe Stewart

joestew wrote:
> When I click on "start", the "search" option has disapeared from my choices.
> What has happened? Where did it go? Has it been disabled? How do I get it
> back? Thanks for any suggestions.

Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
Select the "Start Menu" tab.
Click the "Customize..." button.
Select the "Advanced" tab.
Scroll down until you find "Search" and put a checkmark next to it.

--
Bob Dietz

Hi Bob,
I have a problem. When I select the "advanced tab", there is no "search"
option that can be selected. The option just isn't there. Now, what can I
do? Thanks for any help. Joe

"Bob Dietz" wrote:

> joestew wrote:
> > When I click on "start", the "search" option has disapeared from my choices.
> > What has happened? Where did it go? Has it been disabled? How do I get it
> > back? Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
> Select the "Start Menu" tab.
> Click the "Customize..." button.
> Select the "Advanced" tab.
> Scroll down until you find "Search" and put a checkmark next to it.
>
> --
> Bob Dietz

???
Are you by chance using the "Classic Start Menu?"
If you're not sure -
1) Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
2) Select the "Start Menu" tab.
3) Which one is selected? "Start Menu" or "Classic Start Menu."

If it was "Start Menu," click "Customize..." and please double check the
Advanced tab once again. You should see "Search" if you scroll down to
the bottom of the list.

If it was "Classic Start Menu," then "Search" won't be in the list and
we'll have to find a different fix.

--
Bob Dietz

joestew wrote:
> Hi Bob,
> I have a problem. When I select the "advanced tab", there is no "search"
> option that can be selected. The option just isn't there. Now, what can I
> do? Thanks for any help. Joe
>
> "Bob Dietz" wrote:
>

>>joestew wrote:
>>
>>>When I click on "start", the "search" option has disapeared from my choices.
>>>What has happened? Where did it go? Has it been disabled? How do I get it
>>>back? Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>>Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
>>Select the "Start Menu" tab.
>>Click the "Customize..." button.
>>Select the "Advanced" tab.
>>Scroll down until you find "Search" and put a checkmark next to it.
>>
>>--
>>Bob Dietz

Bob,
In the Start Menu, the last four items are: printers & faxes, run command,
scroll program and set program access & defaults. Search is not there. Now
what? Joe

"Bob Dietz" wrote:

> ???
> Are you by chance using the "Classic Start Menu?"
> If you're not sure -
> 1) Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
> 2) Select the "Start Menu" tab.
> 3) Which one is selected? "Start Menu" or "Classic Start Menu."
>
> If it was "Start Menu," click "Customize..." and please double check the
> Advanced tab once again. You should see "Search" if you scroll down to
> the bottom of the list.
>
> If it was "Classic Start Menu," then "Search" won't be in the list and
> we'll have to find a different fix.
>
> --
> Bob Dietz
>

> joestew wrote:
> > Hi Bob,
> > I have a problem. When I select the "advanced tab", there is no "search"
> > option that can be selected. The option just isn't there. Now, what can I
> > do? Thanks for any help. Joe

> >>Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
> >>Select the "Start Menu" tab.
> >>Click the "Customize..." button.
> >>Select the "Advanced" tab.
> >>Scroll down until you find "Search" and put a checkmark next to it.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Bob Dietz

Copy the following line to your clip-board.
Start menu of Windows XP

Download X-Setup Pro 6.6 (FREE for non-commercial users)
http://www.x-setup.net/
Install it, start it up and choose Classic mode.
Select "Search..." on the "Extra" menu.
Paste the "Start menu of Windows XP" line into the search box.
Click on "XQ WinXp StartMenu 2.xpl" in the results box.
Scroll to the bottom of the box in the top left hand corner and put a
check mark next to "Right column: Search"
Click the "Apply Changes (F9)" button.
Close X-Setup Pro and any other applications you have running.
Log-off or reboot the computer.

Did that fix it?

--
Bop Dietz

joestew wrote:
> Bob,
> In the Start Menu, the last four items are: printers & faxes, run command,
> scroll program and set program access & defaults. Search is not there. Now
> what? Joe
>
> "Bob Dietz" wrote:
>

>>???
>>Are you by chance using the "Classic Start Menu?"
>>If you're not sure -
>> 1) Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
>> 2) Select the "Start Menu" tab.
>> 3) Which one is selected? "Start Menu" or "Classic Start Menu."
>>
>>If it was "Start Menu," click "Customize..." and please double check the
>>Advanced tab once again. You should see "Search" if you scroll down to
>>the bottom of the list.
>>
>>If it was "Classic Start Menu," then "Search" won't be in the list and
>>we'll have to find a different fix.
>>
>>--
>>Bob Dietz
>>

>>joestew wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Bob,
>>>I have a problem. When I select the "advanced tab", there is no "search"
>>>option that can be selected. The option just isn't there. Now, what can I
>>>do? Thanks for any help. Joe

The results are the same as before - no Search option, but when I was in
X-Setup Pro, the search option box was there and it was checked. Do you have
any other suggestions as to what has happened? Thanks, Joe

"Bob Dietz" wrote:

> Copy the following line to your clip-board.
> Start menu of Windows XP
>
> Download X-Setup Pro 6.6 (FREE for non-commercial users)
> http://www.x-setup.net/
> Install it, start it up and choose Classic mode.
> Select "Search..." on the "Extra" menu.
> Paste the "Start menu of Windows XP" line into the search box.
> Click on "XQ WinXp StartMenu 2.xpl" in the results box.
> Scroll to the bottom of the box in the top left hand corner and put a
> check mark next to "Right column: Search"
> Click the "Apply Changes (F9)" button.
> Close X-Setup Pro and any other applications you have running.
> Log-off or reboot the computer.
>
> Did that fix it?
>
> --
> Bop Dietz
>
> joestew wrote:
> > Bob,
> > In the Start Menu, the last four items are: printers & faxes, run command,
> > scroll program and set program access & defaults. Search is not there. Now
> > what? Joe
> >
> > "Bob Dietz" wrote:
> >

> >>???
> >>Are you by chance using the "Classic Start Menu?"
> >>If you're not sure -
> >> 1) Right click on the taskbar and choose Properties.
> >> 2) Select the "Start Menu" tab.
> >> 3) Which one is selected? "Start Menu" or "Classic Start Menu."
> >>
> >>If it was "Start Menu," click "Customize..." and please double check the
> >>Advanced tab once again. You should see "Search" if you scroll down to
> >>the bottom of the list.
> >>
> >>If it was "Classic Start Menu," then "Search" won't be in the list and
> >>we'll have to find a different fix.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Bob Dietz

Hi Bob,
After rebooting my computer 3 times the Search option has appeared and is
working properly. Thank you so much for your input. Regards, Joe

"joestew" wrote:

> The results are the same as before - no Search option, but when I was in
> X-Setup Pro, the search option box was there and it was checked. Do you have
> any other suggestions as to what has happened? Thanks, Joe
>
> "Bob Dietz" wrote:
>
> > Copy the following line to your clip-board.
> > Start menu of Windows XP
> >
> > Download X-Setup Pro 6.6 (FREE for non-commercial users)
> > http://www.x-setup.net/
> > Install it, start it up and choose Classic mode.
> > Select "Search..." on the "Extra" menu.
> > Paste the "Start menu of Windows XP" line into the search box.
> > Click on "XQ WinXp StartMenu 2.xpl" in the results box.
> > Scroll to the bottom of the box in the top left hand corner and put a
> > check mark next to "Right column: Search"
> > Click the "Apply Changes (F9)" button.
> > Close X-Setup Pro and any other applications you have running.
> > Log-off or reboot the computer.
> >
> > Did that fix it?
> >
> > --
> > Bop Dietz
> >
> > joestew wrote:
> > > Bob,
> > > In the Start Menu, the last four items are: printers & faxes, run command,
> > > scroll program and set program access & defaults. Search is not there. Now
> > > what? Joe

Sorry. I'm just about out of ideas. You might try unchecking it in
X-Setup; reboot; put checkmark back in X-Setup and reboot one more time.
But I don't have much confidence that it will make any difference.

--
Bob Dietz

Glad to hear it.

--