NTFS PARTITIONS NOT SEEN

February 7, 2005 3:33:01 AM

Hi,
Earlier I had installed windows xp on first hard disk
partition C.This was in Fat 32 file system.The second disk was formated in
NTFS system.First hard disk had 5 partition and second hard disk had 4
partitions.
Recently when I recovered my C: partition with Norton Ghost -which I have
done in the past also without any such problem as I am having presntly- the
second disk is shown as only Local disk J:with free space 73 gb.None of the
partion I created earlier is seen.
Can somebody help me how I can make the NTFS partitions seen.I have lot of
data on that.
Using partion magic will be of any help?
jkumar

More about : ntfs partitions

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:10:56 PM

What does Windows XP "Disk Management" say about the drives condition?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"jkumar" <jkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Earlier I had installed windows xp on first hard disk
> partition C.This was in Fat 32 file system.The second disk was formated in
> NTFS system.First hard disk had 5 partition and second hard disk had 4
> partitions.
> Recently when I recovered my C: partition with Norton Ghost -which I have
> done in the past also without any such problem as I am having presntly-
> the
> second disk is shown as only Local disk J:with free space 73 gb.None of
> the
> partion I created earlier is seen.
> Can somebody help me how I can make the NTFS partitions seen.I have lot of
> data on that.
> Using partion magic will be of any help?
> jkumar
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 6:34:26 PM

Hi, jkumar.

First, a slight quibble...

> First hard disk had 5 partition and second hard disk had 4
> partitions.

No. There is room for no more than 4 partitions on a hard drive in an x86
computer. One of the 4 may be an extended partition, and there may be
multiple logical drives created within the extended partition. Each primary
partition and each logical drive is a volume; each volume can be assigned a
"drive" letter and formatted.

> The second disk was formated in
> NTFS system.

We never format a hard drive; we create one or more volumes on the drive and
format those. On a single HD, we can mix and match volumes formatted FAT
(12, 16 or 32) and NTFS.

These distinctions may or may not be important in solving your dilemma.

With that out of the way: As Richard Urban asked: What does Disk
Management say?

Many users still haven't found Disk Management, the built-in tool in
Win2K/XP that creates, deletes and formats partitions and logical drives and
assigns drive letters to them. It also sometimes is needed to initialize
foreign disks and handle other disk management tasks, as explained in its
Help file. One quick way to get to DM is from the Run line: diskmgmt.msc

Partition Magic is a great program. But, like any powerful utility, it can
do more harm than good if improperly used. You probably don't need it for
this job.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"jkumar" <jkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Earlier I had installed windows xp on first hard disk
> partition C.This was in Fat 32 file system.The second disk was formated in
> NTFS system.First hard disk had 5 partition and second hard disk had 4
> partitions.
> Recently when I recovered my C: partition with Norton Ghost -which I have
> done in the past also without any such problem as I am having presntly-
> the
> second disk is shown as only Local disk J:with free space 73 gb.None of
> the
> partion I created earlier is seen.
> Can somebody help me how I can make the NTFS partitions seen.I have lot of
> data on that.
> Using partion magic will be of any help?
> jkumar
February 8, 2005 7:41:18 PM

Whoops!

Now I've got to quibble with my own post. :>(

> No. There is room for no more than 4 partitions on a hard drive in an x86

I meant that the Partition Table (in the first physical sector on the hard
disk) is just 64 bytes long; that's room for exactly four 16-byte entries
for up to a max of 4 partitions. No more. If one is an extended partition,
then it can be divided into multiple logical drives, but that happens in the
extended partition, outside the partition table.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
news:o 8io3XiDFHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi, jkumar.
>
> First, a slight quibble...
>
>> First hard disk had 5 partition and second hard disk had 4
>> partitions.
>
> No. There is room for no more than 4 partitions on a hard drive in an x86
> computer. One of the 4 may be an extended partition, and there may be
> multiple logical drives created within the extended partition. Each
> primary partition and each logical drive is a volume; each volume can be
> assigned a "drive" letter and formatted.
>
>> The second disk was formated in
>> NTFS system.
>
> We never format a hard drive; we create one or more volumes on the drive
> and format those. On a single HD, we can mix and match volumes formatted
> FAT (12, 16 or 32) and NTFS.
>
> These distinctions may or may not be important in solving your dilemma.
>
> With that out of the way: As Richard Urban asked: What does Disk
> Management say?
>
> Many users still haven't found Disk Management, the built-in tool in
> Win2K/XP that creates, deletes and formats partitions and logical drives
> and assigns drive letters to them. It also sometimes is needed to
> initialize foreign disks and handle other disk management tasks, as
> explained in its Help file. One quick way to get to DM is from the Run
> line: diskmgmt.msc
>
> Partition Magic is a great program. But, like any powerful utility, it
> can do more harm than good if improperly used. You probably don't need it
> for this job.
>
> RC
>
> "jkumar" <jkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Earlier I had installed windows xp on first hard disk
>> partition C.This was in Fat 32 file system.The second disk was formated
>> in
>> NTFS system.First hard disk had 5 partition and second hard disk had 4
>> partitions.
>> Recently when I recovered my C: partition with Norton Ghost -which I have
>> done in the past also without any such problem as I am having presntly-
>> the
>> second disk is shown as only Local disk J:with free space 73 gb.None of
>> the
>> partion I created earlier is seen.
>> Can somebody help me how I can make the NTFS partitions seen.I have lot
>> of
>> data on that.
>> Using partion magic will be of any help?
>> jkumar

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:49:02 PM

Hi.
It says healthy (active).76.33 GB.Fat 32. It shows C partition as healthy
(system).I am surprised it shows second disk as FAT32.I doubt this since it
doesnot show the partitions on second disk and shows whole disk as only one
partition.
Thanks
jkumar

!