2 Computers...1 Antenna?

I have access to wi-fi in my marina. On the boat I have 2 notebook
computers an a single external antenna connected to one PCMCIA wi-fi
card. Is it possible to both computers share a single antenna if I
were to buy another PC card and some kind of a Y adapter to split the
antenna?
10 answers Last reply
More about computers antenna

    Want be able the access the web from both at the same time. Have the
    one antenna mounted on top of the mast. Trying to save the cost and
    hassle of installing a 2nd antenna and associated wiring. Why mount 2
    when 1 will do?

    'Want be able the access the web from both at the same time.'

    hi,
    here's what i'd do. connect to the wifi network from one notebook with
    the PC card with the external antenna. now get a usb wifi card and
    install this on the same notebook.
    connect to the second notebook using ad-hoc mode and enable internet
    sharing on the first notebook ( if win 2k/xp)
    What this essentially does is that configures the ip address of the usb
    interface on the first notebook to 192.168.0.1 and enables DHCP.
    so the second notebook will get an ip address from the first and will
    be able to browse the network/internet.
    PS ive also done this with a lifebook running XP and an i-book (mac)

    What are you trying to save? The cost of an antenna? Won't either machine
    pick up the wifi signal?

    "Champ" <svshootingstar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have access to wi-fi in my marina. On the boat I have 2 notebook
    > computers an a single external antenna connected to one PCMCIA wi-fi
    > card. Is it possible to both computers share a single antenna if I
    > were to buy another PC card and some kind of a Y adapter to split the
    > antenna?

    Thanks outbackwifi. That's one option for sure, but I should probably
    have added that I'd like to be able to use either notebook
    independently without having to having both powered up. (Wife has
    hers, and I have mine at the nav station.) Needless to say, I'm not
    too Wi-Fi savvy and maybe it's just not possible, but a simple
    Y-splitter would be ideal. Of course I don't know if anyone even makes
    such a thing. Any other thoughts?

    Champ wrote:
    > Thanks outbackwifi. That's one option for sure, but I should probably
    > have added that I'd like to be able to use either notebook
    > independently without having to having both powered up. (Wife has
    > hers, and I have mine at the nav station.) Needless to say, I'm not
    > too Wi-Fi savvy and maybe it's just not possible, but a simple
    > Y-splitter would be ideal. Of course I don't know if anyone even
    > makes such a thing. Any other thoughts?

    Consider a WiFi repeater go to http://www.vivato.com and check out the
    VP2210 - Outdoor Wi-Fi base station
    (uses the high antenna for Wi-Fi, and repeats on the boat itself).

    While at it, if you have Cell phones, consider ALSO adding a similar
    Cell-phone repeater at http://www.cellantenna.com/, so you can use
    cell-phones at many places around the boat

    I use both on the roof of my RV((up 12 ft)), and repeat the signal for my
    laptops/PDA and cellphones inside.

    The crossover cable idea seems to be about the easist solution. The
    newest notebook has an ethernet
    card built in. I guess all I'd need is a 2nd PCMCIA ethernet card for
    the 2nd computer and the crossover cable. This isn't that big a boat
    and a 10-12' cable oughta do it. Since you said "might" just run a
    crossover cable, is this a sure, proven thing? This will really allow
    both computers to access the web at the same time? As you can tell,
    this stuff pretty new to me. Thanks for all the info guys!

    outbackwifi <shivkumar@outbackwifi.com> wrote:

    > connect to the second notebook using ad-hoc mode and enable internet
    > sharing on the first notebook ( if win 2k/xp)

    Depending on where the laptops are located, you might just run a crossover
    cable between wired etherenet ports on the two laptops, and enable ICS on
    the one with the WiFi.

    Or get a wireless repeater. http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=18

    --
    ---

    dold@XReXX2XCom.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > outbackwifi <shivkumar@outbackwifi.com> wrote:
    >

    >>connect to the second notebook using ad-hoc mode and enable internet
    >>sharing on the first notebook ( if win 2k/xp)
    >

    > Depending on where the laptops are located, you might just run a crossover
    > cable between wired etherenet ports on the two laptops, and enable ICS on
    > the one with the WiFi.
    >
    > Or get a wireless repeater. http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&p

    Champ <svshootingstar@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > The crossover cable idea seems to be about the easist solution. The
    > newest notebook has an ethernet
    > card built in. I guess all I'd need is a 2nd PCMCIA ethernet card for
    > the 2nd computer and the crossover cable. This isn't that big a boat
    > and a 10-12' cable oughta do it. Since you said "might" just run a
    > crossover cable, is this a sure, proven thing? This will really allow
    > both computers to access the web at the same time? As you can tell,
    > this stuff pretty new to me. Thanks for all the info guys!

    It does break your "don't want to power them both up" desire.
    The computer in the middle does have to be turned on.
    ICS absolutley does work. The crossover cable definitely works. Your two
    laptops will be on a network together. you get very little control over
    that link. The IP address is fixed. Fuss with it, and it will never work
    again ;-)

    But if you have to buy a PCMCIA card and the cable, then I wouldn't go that
    way. I would go with a USB-wifi. I see them pretty cheap now.
    I bought one for $49.95, with two $20 rebates, end cost $9.95. I carry it
    in my laptop bag to set up adhoc networks to customers that don't have a
    network. A lot of people have unused ethernet ports, but almost everyone
    has a USB port. I use AdHoc or a crossover and ICS in this fashion to
    reach the internet via dialup, so it ought to work for your case.

    Since the other card's antenna is on the mast, there probably won't be any
    interference, if the existing card's internal antenna can be turned off.
    Otherwise, you can select the channel used on the ad-hoc part (between the
    two computers), you'll have no control over the channel used by the distant
    WAP.

    --
    ---

    Cox News wrote:
    > dold@XReXX2XCom.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > > outbackwifi <shivkumar@outbackwifi.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>connect to the second notebook using ad-hoc mode and enable
    internet
    > >>sharing on the first notebook ( if win 2k/xp)
    > >

    > > Depending on where the laptops are located, you might just run a
    crossover
    > > cable between wired etherenet ports on the two laptops, and enable
    ICS on
    > > the one with the WiFi.
    > >
    > > Or get a wireless repeater. http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&p

    Hi,
    seems like a trivial prob to me. if you dont want to power up both
    notebooks at the same time, then take out the card from notebook 'A'
    and put it into notebook 'B' when you want to use 'B' only!!!

Wireless WiFi and Home Networking Computers Internet Wireless Networking