NO CD ROM DRIVE IN "MY COMPUTER"

I'm so desperate! It's been a few days that my cd rom/dvd icon in "My
Computer" desappears. I really don't know how: sometimes (but it is rare) it
comes back, but the next day when I start the pc it goes away again.
When I put a cd there, it does a few sounds, and than nothing. I'm so scared
that i'll do something wrong!

Please, please, someone help me:((((((
5 answers Last reply
More about drive computer

    AND YES, I have SP2. ANd an laptop Acer TravelMate 250 with Xp Home Edition.

    "Sandra_Italy" <Sandra_Italy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > AND YES, I have SP2. ANd an laptop Acer TravelMate 250 with Xp Home
    Edition.

    > "Sandra_Italy" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm so desperate! It's been a few days that my cd rom/dvd icon in "My
    > > Computer" desappears. I really don't know how: sometimes (but it is
    rare) it
    > > comes back, but the next day when I start the pc it goes away again.
    > > When I put a cd there, it does a few sounds, and than nothing. I'm so
    scared
    > > that i'll do something wrong!
    > >
    > > Please, please, someone help me:((((((
    The problem sounds like the drive isn't always connected to the computer.
    So, the first thing is to shutdown the computer and take the access panels
    off.
    Next, as a precaution, touch the case with your finger to discharge any
    static electricity.
    Now, remove the ribbon cable from the back of the drive and from the cpu
    board.
    Reinstall the cable at both ends making sure that you don't force anything.
    The connectors are keyed such that you really must use significant force to
    connect them back incorrectly.
    Unplug and reinstall the power cable.
    Now replace the access panels and start the computer.
    Make certain that the BIOS sees the drive. If it doesn't, windows won't
    either.
    If you still have trouble with the drive, it is probably replacement time.

    By the way, if you don't feel comfortable doing all this, take the computer
    to a repair shop.

    Jim

    It's a notebook, not a desktop computer...so i guess i can't do that

    > It's a notebook, not a desktop computer...so i guess i can't do that
    Then take it to a repair shop. Your problem is most likely a bad drive.
    Jim

    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    > > "Sandra_Italy" <Sandra_Italy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > AND YES, I have SP2. ANd an laptop Acer TravelMate 250 with Xp Home
    > > Edition.

    > > rare) it
    > > scared

    > > The problem sounds like the drive isn't always connected to the
    computer.
    > > So, the first thing is to shutdown the computer and take the access
    panels
    > > off.
    > > Next, as a precaution, touch the case with your finger to discharge any
    > > static electricity.
    > > Now, remove the ribbon cable from the back of the drive and from the cpu
    > > board.
    > > Reinstall the cable at both ends making sure that you don't force
    anything.
    > > The connectors are keyed such that you really must use significant force
    > > connect them back incorrectly.
    > > Unplug and reinstall the power cable.
    > > Now replace the access panels and start the computer.
    > > Make certain that the BIOS sees the drive. If it doesn't, windows won't
    > > either.
    > > If you still have trouble with the drive, it is probably replacement
    time.

    > > By the way, if you don't feel comfortable doing all this, take the
    computer
    > > to a repair shop.
    > >
    > > Jim

  5. i don't since when u have posted this problem, i just came thru. try few options hope these works, first option (hope u r computer savvry)
    right click my computer and click manage
    click disk management in storage option
    right click the cd option in the right pane of the window
    change the letter of the cd drive
    close it
    restart the machine

    IN CASE THIS WONT HELP TRY THIS

    go to run amd type gpedit.msc
    go to user configuration
    select administrative template
    select windows components
    select windows explorer
    go to option which says hide these specified drives in my computer
    right click go to properties
    and check if it's configured
    change it - close it- restart it
    VOLA DRIVE IS BACK