i have created a partition called Z: and placed it at the end of my hard
drive 120gb. the partition is 1000mb
and i go to internet options, settings, move folder so that i can redirect
the temp internet files to this partition.

it keeps defaulting back to c\windows\temp\temporary internet files.

i have run this method on the same size partition called t: for a year or so
without problem but now that i have changed the name to z: it won't stick.

i have used partition magic and drive mapper.

also another user gets the message 'there is not enough space in the new
folder to move files from the current location, please delete some of these
files or choose another location.

any ideas?

Hi, Steve.

HOW are you changing the location of your TIF? From IE | Tools | Internet
Options... | General tab? I think 1 GB should be plenty big enough for most
folks (mine is limited to 250 MB). But if your existing cache is bigger
than that, you might need to cut it back before you try to move it. You
might need to empty it, then reduce its size, then move it. Set the new
location here, using Settings... | Move folder...; you probably will need to
exit IE, then restart it to let it complete the job.

The drive letter Z: should not cause any problem. (I haven't tried Z:; I
use E:\TempInet\Temporary Internet Files.) Also, since I got broadband, I
set it to empty the cache each time I exit IE; it can reload the page from
the 'Net almost as quickly as it can retrieve it from the cache.

Also, of course, you know to aim it to the folder that will become the
PARENT of TIF, not TIF itself. In my case, above, I set it to E:\TempInet;
the program created the TIF folder under TempInet.

But don't try to use "normal" Windows tools to deal with TIF files. Use
IE's Tools | Internet Options...

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA