ASUS A7A266-A Audio Problem

Hades

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I'm having some difficulty with this board. Can't seem to get the OS to recognize the CMI8738 audio chip on the board. Ive downloaded new drivers, checked and rechecked that there are no jumpers that im missing, or BIOS entries for that matter. Am i just dumb and missing something, or is there something wrong. I need this done for friday, and i need to know what the hell is going on so i can order another board or shoot myself. :) I'll list the system specs to see if anyone notices anything that may cause the problem

ASUS A7A266-A with updated Bios version 1009 (original is backed up if that may be the problem)
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Jumpers set at 133 and 12.5&up
256MB DDR SDRAM (Samsung)
HEC 300W Power Supply
ASUS V7100 Pro GeForce2 MX400 w/tv-out
Rockwell(Conexant) 56K Modem (generic manufacturer)
LG 12x8x32 CDRW
Pioneer 16X DVD (DVD-500M)
Pasnasonic 1.44 Floppy
IBM Deskstar 60GXP (40GB)
Winodws 98SE (probably gonna end up XP home though)
Any help at all is appreciated here. Criticism is appreciated as well, as long as its constructive :)

Thanks
Maury

MaDnEsS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Hey man, Ive got the same board and can't wait to get rid off it. First it overheated and burned up my GF2 ultra vid-card.Had it replaced tehn my sound went out. Thats the only problem I fixed. My PCI slot burned up-fried- whatever. I had to get a diiff. sound card and put it in a diff. slot. I suggest a new board, thats what i did. The A7A266 has so many problems it's rediculous.

G

Your sound problem should be fixed with a bios upgrade from ASUS.

If there have been a lot of problems with this board, then they haven't been posted here. I'm planning on buying a A7A266 after the first of the year and I've been watching for issues for a while (2-3 months). A couple of friends also bought this board and love it.

As to the board itself frying components? I think the only way that's even possible is if the voltage regulater is letting massive spikes make it to the components or the components are overclocked out the wazzu (technical term).

If i'm wrong, and these boards are problematic, please speak up!

My question is, how do I make sure I get a rev c board? Or is that a function of bios version?

MaDnEsS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Go to Overclockers.com and read the numerous articles relating to the heat,bios, and other issues with this board..Trust a stranger..Ive had nothing but probs with it.

"Having to take anger management classes makes me angry"-- Tommy Lee

Hades

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Well, i finally just gave up and installed a separate card. The machine is pretty quick, just wish the stupid audio works. Oh well, thats why i dont recommend integrated crap. Thanks for your input guys.

Maury

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did you enable the onboard audio in BIOS and assigned correct IRQ, DMA and I/O address to it? check the manual for it.

Now does something like "PCI Multimedia Device" show up in My Computer->Properties->Other Devices?

If it does that the sound card, remove that device and then press the refresh button, windows will ask you for the drive. show the driver, let windows install it and reboot. this should work!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Same as you I’m really interested on this mobo. I know it’s not the fastest one, but it’s a stable one.
Please anybody who knows any problem or had any experience post it here, because next week will buy one for a customer.
Any comment about issues/installation are really appreciated.

Hades

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The bios does not give me the option to assign the resources, just the option to have it enabled or disabled. Windows doesn't pick up anything. I installed the monitor drivers, and after that it kept picking up "PCI Card"'s, about 5 or so, but no audio. I tried installing the audio drivers, but no go. Very strange. I just hope the board doesnt completely fail.