Partition for XP Pro

How much space should I plan to partition for a new install of Windows XP pro? My current setup has 3 partitions on an 80GB drive. My system drive is about 5GB and I keep getting the low disk space message. Is 10GB enough or too much? I install all of my software and documents to another partition...

Abit IS7
P4 2.8GHz Northwood
1GB Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel
IBM Deskstar 80GB
6 answers Last reply
More about partition
  1. My windows partition is 3Gb and I usually have 200-800Mb free.

Although my XP is totally stripped down :lol: . Depending on whether you are putting your page file on the same partiton I'd say 3Gb - 10Gb (But most people will say this is a bit on the small side)

EDIT: This 3Gb partition has all my apps on it too, but not games.
    <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ned_Flanders on 07/25/05 02:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  2. I'd set at least 10GB, preferably 20GB. You can save more space if you disable System Restore (over time it could accumulate a lot of disk space, mine, there one time, was over 2GB and most of their files had already been compressed).
    You probably wouldn't save much space by installing your program files on another partition though since most of their cucial files being installed in system folder such as Windows and its subfolders, and doing so sometimes might screw up your system.
  3. How big is your hard drive? I'd say no less than 10GB to be safe for a long time.

I know that a friend of mine has Win2k using up less than 300MB for his whole install after ripping it apart on his own. Damn nerdy computer programmers.. oh and his dad works for the CIA and helped him out.

Anyhow.. with all your patches going in and stuff.. 10GB should be fine.. you could do less if you switched your Page file from the C: drive to another drive (D:). You can do that under System Properties - Advanced - Performance Settings - Advanced.

That'll first your current problem.. but once you switch, restart, defragment, then you should have some life left with your current install.
  4. I tried to move my page file once but it keeps it on my C drive as a default.

Abit IS7
    P4 2.8GHz Northwood
    1GB Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel
    IBM Deskstar 80GB
  5. If you have a second HD in your computer, you should be able to switch it. I did it on my home computer.. the pagefile will still show it exists on your C: drive too though.
  6. Yep, nLite leads the way.

Read More

Partition Windows XP